Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got in an unexpected ride and escaped in the nick of time.

So, the forecast made it seem I wouldn't even get a ride this am. Woke up late, 04:30, and looked outside--streets were dry. I checked the weather and I thought I might fit in a 42 miler. I get ready and set off. My route is like a figure 8 where my house is at the intersection where the lines of the 8 cross--the whole figure 8 is about 21 miles. At about the 20 mile mark the sky is beginning to lighten and I see some ominous clouds. Since I'm close to home, I make a quick stop to check the weather and it seems I might be able to fit in another 10--woohoo. I go back out and straddle the bike but looking up I see the clouds moving kind of fast and getting darker. I dismount and decide not to chance it. Just as I unlock the door to my garage and begin to enter, it lets loose--I mean pours. Nice break--a ride I didn't even think I'd get today and I didn't get caught in a deluge.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A figure 8 route is a good way to build a bailout into your ride. Glad you didn't get a soaker.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes the bail out is nice, but I need the forced march mentality because I tend to have a motivation dip in the middle of rides. Now that I have said that, I realize I ride for the sense of accomplishment more than the love of the ride itself. Hummmm
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been out on rides where the sky's opened and we all got wet. Back in the Stupid days of MTB's- it didn't matter what weather we started in- providing it wasn't wind and Rain-Or cold and Rain. Raining--you are going to get wet so put on the waterproof coat and ride. Did one ride and we were so muddy when we finished the ride that we decided to go via the river to wash the bikes off. 2 miles later and the river was reached and the bikes were clean. So much rain that the mud just fell off the bikes and us.

Mind you- it was a complete stripdown and regrease the bike- change the chain as the mud and water was still in it and I was sure those bolts were aluminium--the ones that have got rust on them.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Sometimes the bail out is nice, but I need the forced march mentality because I tend to have a motivation dip in the middle of rides. Now that I have said that, I realize I ride for the sense of accomplishment more than the love of the ride itself. Hummmm
    I ride to get away from home, so no figure 8 bailout for me.

Deluges are not a real problem her, but I've always wondered whay would I do if a big quake hit while I was riding alone, up on the hills and away from home. I was riding alone, up on the hills when a major aftershock to the Northridge quake hit. I was riding near Simi and I remember two things: 1. The big cloud of dust kicked up by the shaking and 2. how fast I pedaled, wanting to get home to be with my family.

Maybe a figure 8 bailout is not such a bad idea after all.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where I live used to be in a rain shadow. One ride and we were about 2 miles from home and it started persisting down. Luckily there was a barn immediately to hand. We had just passed a social group that were resting about 50 yards away and they made a dash for the barn. In that 50 yards they were soaked. The road was flowing in water and flooded within a couple of minutes. That was one downpour.

When it stopped and bright sunshine and we worked our way through the flooded road and within 100 yards the road was bone dry. That was one very local storm. Got home and asked the wife if there had been any rain and not a drop.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan