User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Lonely Roads of Late Autumn

My last few rides have been somewhat joyless. Not only have the leaves pretty much begun to leave but so have most of the other riders. The cold winds coming off the Atlantic along with grey skies and chilly winds are eagerly competing to see who can cast me into the most desolate mood. It's always hard at this time of year in Maine to believe that it will all come back in the Spring: the friendly "Good Mornings!", the sounds of the birds and the beauty of the beach roses. But for now it is just a case of (as my wife says) "manning up!".
    Fuji S10S, Trek 1.1

"The bicycle, in the hands of a novice, is as alert and acute as a spirit-level in the detecting of delicate and vanishing shades of difference in these matters. It notices a rise where your untrained eye would not observe that one existed; it notices any decline which water will run down." -Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, as my wife would suggest that I'm prone to doing (and borrowing/paraphrasing from Dylan Thomas). I will not go gentle into the dark of winter. Iíll rage, rage against the cold and dark.

I'm just not going to let seasons dictate my life. How pathological is it? Well, when it snows, I clear not a path, but all the walkways and driveway. I put my studded tires on my bike and pull my winter layers out of the closet. I refuse to let winter keep me indoors. If winter must be, I shall not silently suffer its cruel torment. No, bring it on, I say.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't miss the winters of my youth and college days, I applaud those who suit up and ride in the dark and dreary.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cannot seem to get motivated to ride in the dankness that is Oregon in the winter. At least I have a trainer to try and keep from getting too idle in the winter, but even thats a difficult ride to motivate. I think its my genetics to become lazy and tired in the winter.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I began backpacking a while back I've come to enjoy winter. I love a good snowfall and the winter landscape with spruce and fir boughs bowed down with snow. I also like the way a snowfall deadens sound so that you seen to be in different and silent world. I like this environment so well I've camped frequently in the dead of winter - once with temperatures down to 15F or 20F but I was snug and warm in a huge down sleeping bag. I came to enjoy the fitness and skill needed to function happily in deep snow. I think it is the same satisfaction we cyclists experience after several seasons when we have aquired enough fitness to enjoy the challenge of climbing a good hill or moving at speed, whatever moving at speed means to each of us. This year I plan to get cross country skis to use on expeditions to local golf courses.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the summer we haven't had-I will be out whenever the weather permits. Don't like cold but I have plenty of layers to ward it off. Rain and mostly it is just a light rain and I have waterproof topcoats. Wind is the main problem but if I go inland I can lose some of it-- BUT it is when two of those get together that riding is best done in the clubhouse on Monday nights.

Tomorrow looks good and there may even be a bit of sun to go with it.

But it happens every year. Weather turns a bit foul and the only ones out there are the diehards- or the young and foolish.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    Since I began backpacking a while back I've come to enjoy winter. I love a good snowfall and the winter landscape with spruce and fir boughs bowed down with snow. I also like the way a snowfall deadens sound so that you seen to be in different and silent world. I like this environment so well I've camped frequently in the dead of winter - once with temperatures down to 15F or 20F but I was snug and warm in a huge down sleeping bag. I came to enjoy the fitness and skill needed to function happily in deep snow. I think it is the same satisfaction we cyclists experience after several seasons when we have aquired enough fitness to enjoy the challenge of climbing a good hill or moving at speed, whatever moving at speed means to each of us. This year I plan to get cross country skis to use on expeditions to local golf courses.
    That's so beautiful I almost want to move someplace snowy... almost.
    there is no signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for one, am waiting for the cold winds to blow. It means that my favorite MUP will be almost empty.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    This year I plan to get cross country skis to use on expeditions to local golf courses.
    Beware, this is a HIGHLY ADDICTIVE activity.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My riding is very straightforward and practical. It's done to commute, or to get the groceries and the errands done. I don't even think about mood or that sort of stuff.

The number of bicyclists out there does drop off, but it's not like they were much company for me anyway.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with you on this one Esteban58

It sounds nice but somehow I don't think I will be moving to a cold climate any time soon.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit burnt out from all the riding I did this year but lately I've been rather enjoying the bracing temperatures, clear crisp air, and different perspective I get with all the leaves down. There seem to be about the same small number of riders I typically see during the summer. The shortening days are a bit of a drag though. It's really only the two or three months during the depths of winter with the coldest temperatures, short dreary overcast days, and snow that put me off riding.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd just as soon winter in Naples, FL.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    I just cannot seem to get motivated to ride in the dankness that is Oregon in the winter. At least I have a trainer to try and keep from getting too idle in the winter, but even thats a difficult ride to motivate. I think its my genetics to become lazy and tired in the winter.
    It is my commute that makes it happen. The motivation is just to get to have fun on the ride in, and the ride home. If I approach it that way, I find commuting in the winter easier than the summer (fewer distractions and excuses to drive to hurry home). Just not as many long rides. I simply have to ride, or I eat/drink/expand too much.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter Bike Camping.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what the OP means. Even here in bike-crazy Minneapolis, this time of year even the more popular bike routes feel a little empty and I wonder, "where did everybody go?". And yeah, there are times when getting myself out of the house becomes a bit tougher.

But I had a delightful ride tonight on the midtown greenway - Minneapolis' cycling super highway. By greenway standards, the trail was pretty empty, which means I saw maybe 20-30 other bikes during a 20 mile out and back ride (this was at 10 PM. During the day, the greenway would be much busier, even in November). It was in the high 30s, but the wind wasn't blowing and it felt great to be out.

I don't mind the gray or the cold or even the dark or the lack of company, really. I'm mostly happy to be out riding, once I get out. But what gets me is

(a) a really biting wind
    (b) whenever the temperature takes another step down - the high 30s tonight was fine, but my first ride of the season at that temp was a bummer. In a week or two, the first ride down in the mid 20s will be a bummer, but then I'll mentally adjust, etc.
    (c) cold and wet . There hasn't been much of this so far, and if I'm lucky we'll skip the freezing rain and go right to snow, which will be fine. If I can avoid it, I don't ride in cold rain or cold and wet streets.

stay warm and keep riding - most any weather is better than the gym or the trainer.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During winter my wife and I try to do things that make us smile.

Last edited by Doug64; 11-13-12 at 11:28 PM.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    I'm a bit burnt out from all the riding I did this year but lately I've been rather enjoying the bracing temperatures, clear crisp air, and different perspective I get with all the leaves down. There seem to be about the same small number of riders I typically see during the summer. The shortening days are a bit of a drag though. It's really only the two or three months during the depths of winter with the coldest temperatures, short dreary overcast days, and snow that put me off riding.

I too enjoy the different perspectives of late fall... I am seeing things that I did not even know were there...
    ... Throughout the summer, I kept hearing a waterfall at one spot. But the leaves and foliage blocked me from seeing it. Now I can see it and it is more beautiful than I had imagined...

I also enjoy the shift away from the hectic growth and pace of spring and summer as nature lays down to take a rest...
    ... I find it a good time for me to slow down a little as well and allow things to settle...

Just as we need a quiet, peaceful night of sleep, so does nature...
    ... I find I can enjoy it for what it is if drop my ideas of how things "should be" and "would be" if I were in charge and simply enjoy it for what it is...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Varied and subject to change
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will soon be embracing the below freezing highs and below zero lows. I can get out and do shorter rides into the 20s. By the low 20s it becomes difficult or tiresome to try and keep things clear and or warm enough to really enjoy it. Then the trainer will take over to keep me going whilst attemting to still get out 1 or 2 times a week.
    Below knee amputee, left
    Riding every chance I get
    Tandem riding with my wife
    "Tour de Cure" American Diabetes Assoc Charity bike ride.
    2012 Salsa Fargo "Drop bar 29er Adventure bike"
    2013 Cannondale CAADX Cyclocross bike, "Do it all road bike"
    Mid 90s Burley Duet Tandem "Always a project under construction"