Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's the pump??Where are my shoes??

What did I do with my gloves?? I know I had some toe warmers!

Why is it when you haven't ridden in a while all your gear seems to scatter to the 4 corners of the house? It's been 3, almost 4 weeks since I've done a real ride, so I go to get ready and it took 1/2 hour to get out the door.
    I could have sworn that I put everything back where it goes, but the pump was behind the laundry basket, and my shoes somehow were upstairs. I did finally find the toe warmers. They were exactly where they were suppose to be - in my camelbak - that's why I could not find them.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post

Why is it when you haven't ridden in a while all your gear seems to scatter to the 4 corners of the house? It's been 3, almost 4 weeks since I've done a real ride, so I go to get ready and it took 1/2 hour to get out the door.
    I could have sworn that I put everything back where it goes, but the pump was behind the laundry basket, and my shoes somehow were upstairs. I did finally find the toe warmers. They were exactly where they were suppose to be - in my camelbak - that's why I could not find them.
    So, it isn't just me.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually start under the bed, then under the lounge chairs, then in either a handlebar or rack bag on another bike. If all that fails, the laundry. It can be exasperating sometimes. But I do have plenty of spares of everything if the right piece can't be found in due time.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I blame all lost items on my wife.

99% of the time the item was exactly where I had put it.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mrs. Grouch and I each have a plastic tub from Kmart. They are just the right size to hold a pair of cycling shoes, a helmet, a pair of gloves and (maybe) a jacket. It's kind of nice to just grab the tub when we're getting ready to go for a ride.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like the "lone sock Diaspora."

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it's usually half a mile out that I realize I don't have whatever... Helmet, sunglasses...
    there is no signature.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Mrs. Grouch and I each have a plastic tub from Kmart. They are just the right size to hold a pair of cycling shoes, a helmet, a pair of gloves and (maybe) a jacket. It's kind of nice to just grab the tub when we're getting ready to go for a ride.
    Oh yeah... and where do you wear the tub?
    Dream. Dare. Do.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of the winter and I discard the ski mask- the long finger gloves-the sealskinz socks and the toe covers. I used to put them in a special place in the shed and the shed then got cleaned and tidied in the Autumn looking for them. No longer do that and they live around the box of spares and occasional tools on the bench. That way I find them all year round and know where they are in the Autumn.

Now where did I put that other glove?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    The Black Knight
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post

Hilarious, thanks for the morning giggle -
    Community Guidelines
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyD
    Some people aren't cut out to be ruthless, sociopathic assassins like you and I.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Miss Jean, the bike kit gremlins have gotten to your house. You do know about those little, seldom seen creatures, that move kit around so you cannot find it when you are going riding. Glad you did find everything, I have been missing 1 kit sock for almost 6 months now. Boy they hid that one good, probably in the kit drawer where I would never think to look.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an old-school Zefal frame pump that I rotate between two particular bikes. The best is when I'm pretty far out on a ride and look down to realize that there's no pump. Oh well. Livin' on the edge...

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But first where's my glasses?

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I clean up and put everything away I usually forget where I put it. It's better to leave everything in an unorganized pile. At least you know where it is.
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I help avoid this - each bike is independently set up, including gloves, pump, etc. I have 3 helmets so one is always findable. I also have collected 3 pumps at various locations, and I don't need to wear a "kit" to ride, although I do some times.

But, still . . .
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-15-12 at 06:39 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of my accessory clothes like gloves, arm warmers, skull caps, balaclavas, leg warmers, tights, etc. are black and the inside of my black bag is... wait for it...BLACK. I call it the black hole of cycling crap.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

I help avoid this - each bike is independently set up, including gloves, pump, etc. I have 3 helmets so one is always findable. I also have collected 3 pumps at various locations, and I don't need to wear a "kit" to ride, although I do some times.

But, still . . .
    I do the same, basically. I still spend time looking for stuff. Or, I find that the pump on bike 2 doesn't work because it hasn't been used.....
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david58 View Post
    I do the same, basically. I still spend time looking for stuff. Or, I find that the pump on bike 2 doesn't work because it hasn't been used.....
    I have pumps on each bike, but I also have 3 floor pumps scattered around. I keep one floor pump in the car with which we transport the bikes (along with an extra helmet - one of the things I forget at times).
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cycling shoes all go on the shoe rack in the garage, the only problem is that they have to be brought inside in the winter to warm up before putting them on. Helmets all have hook to hang on across from the shoe rack. Summer gloves go in a basket next to the shoe rack. The various seatbags, locks and, cables go on the shelf next to the glove basket.
    Water bottles go into a plastic box with a cover on a shelf across from that.
    Special winter stuff goes into the rack of baskets for the particular family member that owns it. My arm warmers, winter gloves, skull cap, etc. goes into my basket. My wifes stuff goes into her basket, etc.. It is the individuals responsibility to put his or her stuff back into the basket after use, or washing. The sytem works much better than you would expect.
    Now, where in the heck is my bike?
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy if I can remember to bring all my gear in the first place. I put everything in a wicker basket to remind me, and have a mental checklist before leaving in the morning. I still wind up overlooking things ... like helmet, pants, that sort of thing.

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    But first where's my glasses?
    Yeah, that too.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

Do you find "stuff" in your pockets? One winter putting on a windbreaker for the first time in months I found a sandwich I had forgotten to eat.

My Bikes
    2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
    LOL!

Do you find "stuff" in your pockets? One winter putting on a windbreaker for the first time in months I found a sandwich I had forgotten to eat.
    I really enjoy it when I find money in a jacket or coat that I haven't worn in months. I feel like I've won the lottery or something, when a fiver or twenty pops up like that.

We've moved to the "big bike bin" phase of organization. A fairly large plastic bin from "Stuff-mart", kept in the basement, holds our three helmets, gloves, cable lock, water bottles, top tube bags, panniers, and rack trunk bag. My bike jackets are on hangers near the bin. And the Thule bike carrier is right there, too. So far, this seems to be working pretty well, although on my last solo ride I remembered to put the water bottle in its cage, but didn't remember to fill it. Doh!

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
    Many of my accessory clothes like gloves, arm warmers, skull caps, balaclavas, leg warmers, tights, etc. are black and the inside of my black bag is... wait for it...BLACK. I call it the black hole of cycling crap.
    I spent the last two weeks looking for a RED sock that was in the RED bag I put cycling stuff in when I'm going somewhere to ride. I do OK when I'm riding from home, I usually realize what's missing by the time I get to the end of the driveway, but I've had to set up a travel bag that basically duplicates everything so when I drive to a ride I just throw the bag in the car
    Red, like the color my hair used to be.

Lemond Buenos Aires(Broke) Madone 5.9 for sale,Navigator 2, S-Works Roubaix

My Bikes
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany 105, 2007 Marin Palisades Trail, 2006 Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calculation of "average speed" should include pumping tires, hauling bike out of basement, finding and putting on gear, setting computer, and maybe showering afterwards if it's an exercise-specific ride. The "just get on the bike and ride" comfort bike folks would have a big advantage over the roadies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast