Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any one tried the TiGr Lock?

I would really like to use the bike to do more, like go to a coffee shop or grab a bit, and not only ride for 30-45 minutes a day for exercise [yes, short time I know, but I am a novice ].

So, I was checking out bike locks, and I came across TiGr lock (www.tigrlock.com). Any of you folks tried it? Otherwise, which top notch lock would you suggest I get? Thanks.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit spendy...
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has been talked about in other sections here , just not this one.

I'm using an Abus 'Steel o chain' key lock mostly.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending where you live, where you park, and how good of a bike you've got will dictate what locks(s) you should get.
    We own a tandem which necessitates something even different.
    We get by with an 8-ft long cable with a small titanium combo lock to secure both wheels of tandem and frame to an immovable object.
    We also like to park it, if possible, within view of where we are.
    So far, so good. Been riding tandems and singles since 1975 without theft.

My Bikes
    Custom single speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this advertised on a different site and my immediate thought was regarding scratching the paint on my bike. It doesn't look like it is very smooth>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeinreview View Post
    I saw this advertised on a different site and my immediate thought was regarding scratching the paint on my bike. It doesn't look like it is very smooth>
    The lock is coated in clear PVC, thus no scratching.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only one lock works for the majority of the time and that is your butt or your hands. Keep either of theses on the bike at all times and the bike may not get stolen.

Locks still have to be classed as a deterrent to anyone that wants that bike. Plenty of good locks out there and you do in general get what you pay for.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a lock looks like it might be easily defeatable, somebody may be more tempted to try, and damage the well locked bike in the process.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Only one lock works for the majority of the time and that is your butt or your hands. Keep either of theses on the bike at all times and the bike may not get stolen.

Locks still have to be classed as a deterrent to anyone that wants that bike. Plenty of good locks out there and you do in general get what you pay for.
    I still remember talking with a security auditor years back. His recommendation:

"If they want to get in, they will. It doesn't matter what you do to keep them out. But, you can make it hard enough that they pick on somebody else"

Is there ANY bike lock that one would want to carry on a bike that can survive good bolt-cutter?
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    Is there ANY bike lock that one would want to carry on a bike that can survive good bolt-cutter?
    The old joke is that all urban bicycles weigh 40 pounds. 40# bike, no lock. 30# bike, ten pounds of locks, chains and cables. 20# bike, 20 pounds of locks, chains and cables...

There are locks that will survive huge bolt cutters. There are no locks that will shrug off cutting torches, angle grinders, thermite &etc, but as you have said, this is something of a red herring. A quality lock and good technique will send the bike thief over to a bike that is secured with a cable which can be sheered with small bolt cutters or a cheap lock that can be shimmed in seconds.
    Last edited by tcs; 11-26-12 at 12:08 PM.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexLex100 View Post
    I would really like to use the bike to do more, like go to a coffee shop or grab a bite...
    'Urban transportation' is actually the hardest scenario for locking: you don't have a single, defined destination, so you don't know what you'll have to lock to, or what situation you'll be leaving the bike in. The TiGr looks like it's optimized for locking the bike in one configuration to one kind of thing.

PS - Did you notice the picture on the TiGr home page: the bike is locked to a pole...with nothing on the top of it! The locked bike could be lifted right off the pole and carried away.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

elcraft
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The attack videos used to show how tough the Ti is are misleading. The piece usedfor demonstration is 1/8" thick and 1" accross. The TiGr lock looks to be made of much thinner stock. it would be more compelling if they had used a piece of Ti with the same dimensions as the lock. The bolt cutter test is not a fair comparison; 1 x 1/8" stock is much more difficult to cut this way than the round section of the U lock that was used.

bkj
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TiGr lock is excellent.

Banned.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcraft View Post
    The attack videos used to show how tough the Ti is are misleading. The piece usedfor demonstration is 1/8" thick and 1" accross. The TiGr lock looks to be made of much thinner stock. it would be more compelling if they had used a piece of Ti with the same dimensions as the lock. The bolt cutter test is not a fair comparison; 1 x 1/8" stock is much more difficult to cut this way than the round section of the U lock that was used.
    Actually I believe the TiGr is either 1/8 x 1" or 1/8" x 1.5" depending upon version purchased, so the video seems appropriate... And the comparison to the U-lock seems fair. For occasional locking of a bike (particularly a road bike) this seems to be a good design. Better than a cable, which is really the only comparable lock in the same weight class, and the design of the TiGr makes it easier to carry on a road bike (or other bike without significant storage).

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcraft View Post
    The attack videos used to show how tough the Ti is are misleading.
    Yep. The U-lock they use for comparison looks like one of those sub-$20 ones you can get at Walmart. Seriously, they chose to compare their $200 titanium lock with one that costs a tenth as much? They cut through their titanium lock with an angle grinder in 46 seconds - a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit takes in the neighborhood of three minutes to cut through, and costs around one third as much.
    Last edited by tcs; 11-26-12 at 08:32 AM.

My Bikes
    2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    Yep. The U-lock they use for comparison looks like one of those sub-$20 ones you can get at Walmart. Seriously, they chose to compare their $200 titanium lock with one that costs a tenth as much? They cut through their titanium lock with an angle grinder in 46 seconds - a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit takes in the neighborhood of three minutes to cut through, and costs around one third as much.
    The Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit also weighs something like 3 times as much, and its design makes it more difficult (IMO) to carry.

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin44 View Post
    The Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit also weighs something like 3 times as much...
    This is very true, but in the context of TiGr's 'Attack" videos, immaterial.

When weight takes absolute priority over security, there's the Master Lock 4603D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you buy, check out this German video showing a TiGR lock clipped in 5 seconds by a young woman with a typical 3 foot long bolt cutter. Any responses from TiGR? I don't speak German, but for me this killed my interest in the product:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8Yo...ature=youtu.be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit as a techie, I like this lock with pager alert better than the TiGR and 1/2 the cost:
    http://snurl.com/bike-lock-with-pager