Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-12, 07:26 AM   #1
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
"Thin" Winter gloves recommendation?

I bought the Planet Bike Borealis Full Finger gloves. They are nice and warm. However, the fingers are thick and when I wear them I cannot do much tat requires dexterity: turn on or off the lights, zip up or down my fleece, etc. Do you have any recommendation on a warm but thin winter cycling gloves that are both warm and allow me to do such things? or these kinds of gloves don't exist? Many thanks.
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:03 AM   #2
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,087
The polypropylene runner's gloves might do the trick for you.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:14 AM   #3
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Bikes:
Posts: 11,479
Don't know how cold you are talking but I use glove liners under my fingerless gloves. The cheap ones work down into the 40s and below that I have some Defeet liners which are thicker and I've used them into the low 30s.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 08:29 AM   #4
JPFremin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 21
I'd be interested in knowing if they exist. My riding gloves are thin and my fingers get cold. I think it has more to do with not moving them enough to keep circulation going. My fingers get numb in heavy gloves when I'm gripping my snowblower too. I normally don't get that cold.
JPFremin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 09:33 AM   #5
rdtompki
Senior Member
 
rdtompki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollister, CA
Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
Posts: 3,962
We don't get much in the way of cold temperatures, but 40 and below I like full-finger gloves. The issue I'm having is that my gloves are a bit too snug which cuts down on circulation and in turn defeats the purpose of the gloves. They are PI XL size and I don't have big hands, but I suspect they may have downsized due to being washed.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:19 AM   #6
locolobo13 
Senior Member
 
locolobo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phx, AZ
Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Posts: 1,065
Well, bearing in mind I live in Phoenix. I have some fingerless gloves from the blue collar" section at the big box stores. Mine are Wells Lamont. Runners gloves sound like something to try.

They are good down to 40F. I wear them down to freezing. However around freezing my fingertips get numb on my 5 mi commute. Only happens 3-4 times a year for me so no biggie.
locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:22 PM   #7
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Many thanks for the answers. It is interesting that responses were only obtained from freezing California, Florida, and Arizona Seriously, where are the good folks of colder climates?

In terms of how cold it gets, I am in Metropolitan DC so now in the mornings it is in the 30's. Cheers.
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:43 PM   #8
bwfox
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NE Nevada, USA
Bikes: Varied and subject to change
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLex100 View Post
Many thanks for the answers. It is interesting that responses were only obtained from freezing California, Florida, and Arizona Seriously, where are the good folks of colder climates?

In terms of how cold it gets, I am in Metropolitan DC so now in the mornings it is in the 30's. Cheers.
We get below zero and are below freezing for weeks at a time. I like "Bar Mitts", www.barmitts.com

They allow one to use lighter gloves for dexterity. Otherwise, I have to use a heavy glove that doesn't give much feel...
bwfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:45 PM   #9
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Mecian
Posts: 3,603
Having a lot of expereince in colder climates, feel like I can offer:

Between 25 and 45 I use a light full finger pair of REI gloves really just a wind cover, hands stay toasty warm

Colder than that full finger REI cycling gloves with some insulation.

With both, its important that you move your hand around more than normal, because you fingers get shoved all the way into the gloves causing a lack of circulation. I even occasionally stop and slightly pull my hands out of the glove ever so slightly so the fingers are not pressing against the ends of the glove. Also, gloves should fit somewhat loosely so that there is an airspace for insulation
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 12:51 PM   #10
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog
 
lhbernhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Posts: 2,073
In the Pac NW, I use a variety of gloves for various temperature and weather conditions. Worst case (temps below 3 deg C - mid-30's F), I use thick downhill ski gloves. You need to push buttons? The gloves are easy enough to remove and put back on, even with wet hands. I don't use glove liners; I like to maximize the "dead air space" inside the glove, because that's what keeps your hands warm. Filling the glove with liners just removes this dead air and actually makes your hands colder.

Also, as most people who live in wet northern climates will attest, if the glove is the least bit tight, it becomes very difficult to put on if your hands are wet. But typically, when it rains in the Pac NW, the temperatures usually rise a bit, usually getting above 5 deg C (40 deg F). I use a slighter thinner fall/winter glove for this range, or I use neoprene rain gloves, but I use the XL size to get the extra dead air space. Again, for fine finger work, I often have to remove the glove, and an XL glove is slighter easier to get on with wet hands.

Once the temps are above 15 deg C (60 deg F), I'm usually in my thin long-fingered gloves, which I usually wear year-round. I can usually accomplish most fine-finger work in these, and I even wear them on hot days in order to avoid the "glove tan" and to protect my fingers in a crash. This is still an affectation too from my track racing days, where I always wore long-finger gloves.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:31 PM   #11
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman
 
Nightshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLex100 View Post
I bought the Planet Bike Borealis Full Finger gloves. They are nice and warm. However, the fingers are thick and when I wear them I cannot do much tat requires dexterity: turn on or off the lights, zip up or down my fleece, etc. Do you have any recommendation on a warm but thin winter cycling gloves that are both warm and allow me to do such things? or these kinds of gloves don't exist? Many thanks.
The best winter gloves for winter sports , including cycling , are Gore-tex gloves. Look for Gore-tex sports gloves.
__________________
My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:32 PM   #12
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
What an interesting contraption those are! I have never seen them before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
We get below zero and are below freezing for weeks at a time. I like "Bar Mitts", www.barmitts.com

They allow one to use lighter gloves for dexterity. Otherwise, I have to use a heavy glove that doesn't give much feel...
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 01:37 PM   #13
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Many thanks for the suggestion. Any specific ones? there's a whole bunch on REI site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Having a lot of expereince in colder climates, feel like I can offer:

Between 25 and 45 I use a light full finger pair of REI gloves really just a wind cover, hands stay toasty warm

Colder than that full finger REI cycling gloves with some insulation.

With both, its important that you move your hand around more than normal, because you fingers get shoved all the way into the gloves causing a lack of circulation. I even occasionally stop and slightly pull my hands out of the glove ever so slightly so the fingers are not pressing against the ends of the glove. Also, gloves should fit somewhat loosely so that there is an airspace for insulation
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:05 PM   #14
zacster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brooklyn NY
Bikes:
Posts: 4,953
I use full fingered neoprene gloves, although they are surprisingly not that warm too start. Once you get going though they get warm and sweaty. They are very flexible in the fingers and have a decent grip.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:17 PM   #15
GaryPitts
Senior Member
 
GaryPitts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gladeville, TN
Bikes:
Posts: 481
http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1234589-001
Light, grippy, relatively warm, and you can still use your touchscreen if so inclined.
GaryPitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 02:26 PM   #16
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
Thanks Luis for the thorough response. Very useful. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
In the Pac NW, I use a variety of gloves for various temperature and weather conditions. Worst case (temps below 3 deg C - mid-30's F), I use thick downhill ski gloves. You need to push buttons? The gloves are easy enough to remove and put back on, even with wet hands. I don't use glove liners; I like to maximize the "dead air space" inside the glove, because that's what keeps your hands warm. Filling the glove with liners just removes this dead air and actually makes your hands colder.

Also, as most people who live in wet northern climates will attest, if the glove is the least bit tight, it becomes very difficult to put on if your hands are wet. But typically, when it rains in the Pac NW, the temperatures usually rise a bit, usually getting above 5 deg C (40 deg F). I use a slighter thinner fall/winter glove for this range, or I use neoprene rain gloves, but I use the XL size to get the extra dead air space. Again, for fine finger work, I often have to remove the glove, and an XL glove is slighter easier to get on with wet hands.

Once the temps are above 15 deg C (60 deg F), I'm usually in my thin long-fingered gloves, which I usually wear year-round. I can usually accomplish most fine-finger work in these, and I even wear them on hot days in order to avoid the "glove tan" and to protect my fingers in a crash. This is still an affectation too from my track racing days, where I always wore long-finger gloves.

Luis
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 03:17 PM   #17
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,087
I have some Thinsulate leather regular gloves I got At Goodwill..
they were New cosmetic Blem seconds , donor got a tax write off.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 03:19 PM   #18
AndyK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern N.J.
Bikes: '03 De Rosa Planet, '77 Cinelli Supercorsa, '79 Paris Sport (Moulton)
Posts: 1,961
I have yet to find a glove that keeps me warm in 30 or below temps, other than Ski gloves. Any bicycling specific gloves I have tried have come up short. The warmest bicycling gloves were the Lobster type, but I can't use those and shift with my hands on the hoods (Campy).

Short version - Ski gloves!
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 03:47 PM   #19
eay
Senior Member
 
eay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Greater Sacramento, California area
Bikes:
Posts: 149
On our ride the other day my husband's fingers got a little bit cold (mid 50s F, partly sunny). He was using full finger gloves, they are not insulated but do block the wind. His fingers got cold and I was thinking that something like "glomitts" (fingerless gloves with a mitten section that flips over the fingers) might have been useful. He was having trouble with zipper pulls and using his Garmin with gloves on.
The biggest thing that has made my fingers cold in gloves is resting them on the brake levers. The metal just sucks the heat out. With the upright configuration of my recumbent handlebars, I can ride along ready to brake but not have my fingers touching the levers. My fingers had to touch the levers on my old Trek.
When it is cold enough I use Ibex "Knitty Gritty" wool gloves, a wool blend with rubber grippy stuff on the palm and fingers. They are not padded, but are warm enough for my California Central Valley winters (not lower than 35 degs F).
I tried some fancy neoprene winter bike gloves to try and keep my hands dry but they ended up acting as a miniature sauna for my sweaty hands and I nearly froze my fingers off.
I generally don't ride in the rain, although the wool gloves are sufficiently warm in light rains down to about 40 degrees.
eay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:01 PM   #20
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate
 
Cougrrcj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NE Ohio / Phoenix AZ
Bikes: A few...
Posts: 1,974
Well, as a mail carrier for the past 32 years in the Cleveland area, I have to have dexterity and feel when going through the mail, not to mention a I need a bit of grip on the letters and magazines... I used to wear thin leather 'driving gloves', bu they'd wear out fast. believe it or not, now I wear surgical gloves. If it gets really cold, I'll wear two pairs. They're cheap and disposable. They keep the wind and wet off the fingers, and also keep the fingers from drying out and cracking/splitting. Of course, I'm also not riding 20mph either, so maybe a pair of surgical gloves under a pair of driving gloves would work for bike riding...

Back 40 years ago when I rode my bicycle to swim practice at 5am on cold Winter mornings, I wore a pair of thick yellow Playtex dishwashing gloves...
Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:29 PM   #21
NOS88
Senior Member
 
NOS88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 6,490
In weather below 20 F I use Pearl Izumi Softshell Lobster gloves. From about 40 F to 20 F. I use Pearl Izumi Gavia gloves. Above 40 F I only wear regular fingerless gloves. Thin winter gloves would be nice, if they worked.
__________________
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 05:32 PM   #22
TexLex100
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 133
you definitely win the most ingenious solutions on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
Well, as a mail carrier for the past 32 years in the Cleveland area, I have to have dexterity and feel when going through the mail, not to mention a I need a bit of grip on the letters and magazines... I used to wear thin leather 'driving gloves', bu they'd wear out fast. believe it or not, now I wear surgical gloves. If it gets really cold, I'll wear two pairs. They're cheap and disposable. They keep the wind and wet off the fingers, and also keep the fingers from drying out and cracking/splitting. Of course, I'm also not riding 20mph either, so maybe a pair of surgical gloves under a pair of driving gloves would work for bike riding...

Back 40 years ago when I rode my bicycle to swim practice at 5am on cold Winter mornings, I wore a pair of thick yellow Playtex dishwashing gloves...
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 06:56 PM   #23
Scooper
Decrepit Member
 
Scooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco California
Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22
Posts: 10,089
Thinsulate™ is a 3M product, and I have a pair of XXL Spa Sport full finger gloves that uses Thinsulate for insulation. I know they're comfy as low as the low thirties, but it doesn't ever get much colder than that around here so I don't know how much lower they'd stay comfortable.

Spa Sport sells them on ebay for $20.

__________________
- Stan
I'm with her.
Scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 09:18 PM   #24
chuckb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 273
I use Giordana Nordic gloves. Whatever you use, if you wear $5 silk glove liners (amazon) underneath they'll be much warmer. In fact, on cool (not cold) days, regular fingerless cycling gloves over the silk liners works surprisingly well. The silk is nearly transparent to the wind, but your hands stay much warmer than you would suspect.
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 11:09 PM   #25
billydonn
Council of the Elders
 
billydonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Posts: 3,761
Spenco "Cold Snap". Great gloves.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 PM.