Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

4th 100 miler in 4 weeks

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

4th 100 miler in 4 weeks

Old 12-15-12, 02:46 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
4th 100 miler in 4 weeks

Another one in the bag. Exact same route as the previous 3. Another large group for the first 35 miles--probably 80 riders. At that point the 100 mile route and the 70 mile route split. I would estimate that about 25 of us did the full 100. I wound up in the "B" group which was a very comfortable pace for me today. We had nine riders and wound up doing a rotating pace line for just about all of the last 50 miles of the ride. That is the longest a rotating pace line has lasted for any ride I've ever done. It's really nice when it works well and this one worked pretty darn good. Folks knew to slow down when they dropped off the front so the speeds would stay consistent and the rider going to the front just had to maintain his speed when moving to the front. I was able to glide up the hills so much easier that way plus it kept everyone content as we all were sharing the load. Staying on wheels all through the ride was so much easier as well.

I made one quick stop at the 67 mile mark for more fluids...although I only drank 2 bottles total. Ate one banana. You really don't have to eat that much when you have a lot of natural nutrition stored around your waste......

Weather was very nice-a little chilly at the start with temps in the high 30's and overcast skies. Eventually the sun came out and it was high 50's when we finished and little wind.

My front derailleur starting messing up on the last two hills as it didn't want to move the small chain ring. Feels like a frayed cable and my legs felt like noodles........

I was about 15 minutes faster on today's ride. I'm certain it had more to do with staying in the group than any measurable improvements on my part. I did have more reserves for the last 30 miles which was nice. I'd been struggling the last 30 miles on the previous 3 rides but that's not unusual.

I didn't not want to do today's ride but I just wasn't as enthusiastic about doing it as the previous 3. However it turned out to be a very enjoyable day.

The group is doing the 100 mile ride again tomorrow except they are going to do the route backwards. It will be interesting to see how many actually show up with the weather looking colder and wet.........

Just two more to go for December. I haven't lost much weight but at least I haven't gained any either.

Last edited by jppe; 12-15-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-15-12, 02:54 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
When people see you ride, they don't ask "Who is that?". They ask "What is that?". Four centuries this time of year in the mountains? Dude, you're bionic. Is it the raspberry extract?

Old 12-15-12, 05:24 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Jppe,
Sounds like a great ride, thanks for sharing the report with us. That group seems to have all the positive things you look for in a set of ride partners. Very well done on your part. I think your worries about weight and performance are unfounded based on how well the centuries are going for you. Keep up the great work.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-15-12, 06:33 PM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
All I can say is..

WOW!
Old 12-15-12, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can say is..

WOW!
I second this sentiment: Wow!!!
Old 12-15-12, 06:44 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! I am happy doing one century a year, and you are doing one a week! Kudos!
Old 12-15-12, 07:41 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am impressed as well. My goal for next year is to ride a (one) century, and you are churning them out one a week! in December! You're the man.
Old 12-15-12, 07:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The group is doing the 100 mile ride again tomorrow except they are going to do the route backwards.
That should be interesting, to say the least.

They even did this many years ago:

This bicycling is a funny business. We say we do it for exercise and to get fit and lose weight, then we use pace lines and feather-weight bikes to make it easier. Go figure.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-15-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-16-12, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
jppe,
color, or colour if you're European, me impressed.

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This bicycling is a funny business. We say we do it for exercise and to get fit and lose weight, then we use pace lines and feather-weight bikes to make it easier. Go figure.
Yes, but, as long as you are going faster, you do the same amount of work over the distance and burn the same number of calories...you just do it in shorter time.
Old 12-16-12, 07:49 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
jppe,
color, or colour if you're European, me impressed.

Yes, but, as long as you are going faster, you do the same amount of work over the distance and burn the same number of calories...you just do it in shorter time.
But, you don't. Another component is "How fast can I complete a century?"

I.e., if I did a century on my mtn bike (and I have done that) it is going to take a lot more work, time, burn more calories, and develop more strength, than a sub 4.5 hour century on a carbon road bike (using the same routes). Yet, each will proclaim, "I rode a Century" - essentially signifying they have completed pretty much the same task. They haven't.
Old 12-16-12, 07:55 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Excellent.

Check into randonneuring. Generally, you won't find rotating pacelines, but you will find differing routes, and usually a bit more relaxed ride. Depending on the local scene, it may or may not be a very social event.

"You really don't have to eat that much when you have a lot of natural nutrition stored around your waste....."- I have learned that this varies widely from person to person, and is not just a matter of having excess weight. A lot of people that have that excess weight will still have to stop or eat more often.
Old 12-16-12, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Sounds like you're feeling pretty good these days. I'm glad to hear it and I'm happy for you.