Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure - Santa Barbara Edition

Today I rode in the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure. The event was held in Santa Barbara, in the middle of a driving rainstorm that soaked all riders and volunteers. It was cold, it was windy and it was VERY wet--but not even the rain or the cold temperatures could dampen the enthusiasm of the dedicated riders and wonderful volunteers. The riders participating in the event raised nearly $200,000.00. The money will be used to fund research and education to continue the battle against diabetes. The news is not encouraging; diabetes has now reached epidemic proportions in the USA and elsewhere in the world. I hope, however, that by participating in events such at the Tour de Cure I, and other bike riders like me, can help raise funds to eventually find a cure to this horrible disease.

My Colnago C59 handled beautifully on the wet roads, especially on the descents down Santa Barbara’s rain soaked back roads. The C59, with Campa Record 11V, Fulcrum Zero Ltd. Edition wheels and Veloflex tires felt secure, safe and confidence inspiring—never had a problem or a scary moment during the entire ride. Thank you Ernesto Colnago for building such a great bike.

Ride for the Cure!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 11-18-12 at 06:56 PM.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your personal performance. That is an achievement.

I cannot say the same about the Tour de Cure and the American Diabetes Association. I used to be a very strong supporter. Then I found that the current diabetes epidemic is, as far as we know, mainly caused by poor individual diet and exercise choices. What is commonly called Type II diabetes is overwhelmingly the bulk of current diabetes cases. From what information was available from the ADA they are doing, depending on how you want to phrase it, a very poor job at finding motivational method to help people make better choices or have become primarily a fund raising organization for unknown benefit.

Although perhaps awkwardly worded I guess the point is that we pretty well know the cause of the current diabetes epidemic, people's decisions. What we don't know is how to protect people from themselves and their poor decisions. Don't think the ADA is doing much in that regard.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job eja! I plan on doing the local TdC in 2013(the 2012 was late April) which will be either late April of early May. I know I can easily do the metric, but my plan is to do the miler century.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations.............on the wet ride.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Congratulations.............on the wet ride.
    Thanks, it is kinda fun to ride in the rain.

The ride, however, convinced me of one thing: I need to get Lasik eye surgery. I am tired of wearing eyeglasses that get wet and fog up.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)