Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-12, 08:44 PM   #1
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure - Santa Barbara Edition

Today I rode in the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure. The event was held in Santa Barbara, in the middle of a driving rainstorm that soaked all riders and volunteers. It was cold, it was windy and it was VERY wet--but not even the rain or the cold temperatures could dampen the enthusiasm of the dedicated riders and wonderful volunteers. The riders participating in the event raised nearly $200,000.00. The money will be used to fund research and education to continue the battle against diabetes. The news is not encouraging; diabetes has now reached epidemic proportions in the USA and elsewhere in the world. I hope, however, that by participating in events such at the Tour de Cure I, and other bike riders like me, can help raise funds to eventually find a cure to this horrible disease.

My Colnago C59 handled beautifully on the wet roads, especially on the descents down Santa Barbara’s rain soaked back roads. The C59, with Campa Record 11V, Fulcrum Zero Ltd. Edition wheels and Veloflex tires felt secure, safe and confidence inspiring—never had a problem or a scary moment during the entire ride. Thank you Ernesto Colnago for building such a great bike.

Ride for the Cure!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tour de cure santa barbara november 17 2012_ed 1.jpg (102.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 11-18-12 at 07:56 PM.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-12, 11:43 PM   #2
HawkOwl

Bikes:
Congratulations on your personal performance. That is an achievement.

I cannot say the same about the Tour de Cure and the American Diabetes Association. I used to be a very strong supporter. Then I found that the current diabetes epidemic is, as far as we know, mainly caused by poor individual diet and exercise choices. What is commonly called Type II diabetes is overwhelmingly the bulk of current diabetes cases. From what information was available from the ADA they are doing, depending on how you want to phrase it, a very poor job at finding motivational method to help people make better choices or have become primarily a fund raising organization for unknown benefit.

Although perhaps awkwardly worded I guess the point is that we pretty well know the cause of the current diabetes epidemic, people's decisions. What we don't know is how to protect people from themselves and their poor decisions. Don't think the ADA is doing much in that regard.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 08:16 AM   #3
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Good job eja! I plan on doing the local TdC in 2013(the 2012 was late April) which will be either late April of early May. I know I can easily do the metric, but my plan is to do the miler century.
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 08:20 AM   #4
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Congratulations.............on the wet ride.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-12, 08:33 AM   #5
eja_ bottecchia

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Congratulations.............on the wet ride.
Thanks, it is kinda fun to ride in the rain.

The ride, however, convinced me of one thing: I need to get Lasik eye surgery. I am tired of wearing eyeglasses that get wet and fog up.
eja_ bottecchia is offline   Reply With Quote