Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   No Biking for at Least 2 weeks (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/858362-no-biking-least-2-weeks.html)

flan48 11-18-12 07:02 PM

No Biking for at Least 2 weeks

Well, I did it! Earlier this past week I was doing my weight training routine but with a modification. As my left shoulder had been bothering me, wherein I couldn't do bench or chest presses with resistance, I utilized a band so that I could at least chest press, with resistance, with the right arm and merely use no resistance with the left. Unfortunately I was likely somewhat twisted, and tore an upper back muscle (slightly to the center of the left shoulder blade). Pain was so excruciating that I had to be taken to the emergency room last night.
Doc gave me a few prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, and admonished me to sit on my butt for at least 2 weeks - yikes.

So besides looking forward to receiving my new Answer Rove FR pedals at the end of this coming week, I will now have to wait 2-3 weeks to even install them on my bike!

In the great scheme of things, this is not important, and I well understand that, but it's a painful bummer nonetheless.

Best regards

Mort Canard 11-18-12 07:57 PM

Sorry to hear of your injury. Keep listening to your body. There are times when you just have to back off and take a rest. I have knees and a lower back that occasionally send me messages when to take a break. I have learned to respect those signs.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

teachme 11-18-12 08:13 PM

I don't workout with weights anymore... I kept injuring myself. Hope you recover quickly. Cycling, stretching, situps and pushups, thats it for me...

DnvrFox 11-18-12 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teachme (Post 14962375)
I don't workout with weights anymore... I kept injuring myself. Hope you recover quickly. Cycling, stretching, situps and pushups, thats it for me...

I am so sorry for your injury.

I work out with weights all the time for 25 years+ now and have, fortunately, never been injured. I do listen to my body, and when it says REST, I rest - or TOO MUCH - then I back off. I rest each worked part for several days, especially at 73yo.

I did 150 pushups today. I won't do any more for several days.

GeorgeBMac 11-18-12 08:49 PM

ER Docs are great at patching people up -- but not at giving advice... I would check with my own physician. He probably won't know much about it either (he's a jack of all trades) but he may be able to refer to a sports medicine physian or PT who does know about these things. But, if it is a torn muscle (as opposed to a strained one), I doubt it will heal in 2 weeks...

donheff 11-19-12 07:08 AM

I tried doing several machine lifts with both arms/legs on the positive side and then one arm or leg on the negative to increase the negative resistance. I developed a muscle pain that felt like a kidney infection - it went away quickly when I dropped the eccentric exercises. You have to be careful with resistance training. They should develop a lift assist mechanism that lets you go for higher negative resistance without a spotter.

flan48 11-20-12 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 14962506)
I am so sorry for your injury.

I work out with weights all the time for 25 years+ now and have, fortunately, never been injured. I do listen to my body, and when it says REST, I rest - or TOO MUCH - then I back off. I rest each worked part for several days, especially at 73yo. I did 150 pushups today. I won't do any more for several days.

Hi Denver and thanks for your post.
Yes, I've been working out with weights steadily now for 35 tears. I generally do a full body work out and do so every other day or sometimes every third day.
From my military experience I'm a big believer in push ups and sit ups along with mid-rows and/or pull ups. However, with my left shoulder hurting me push ups are out, and pull-ups would be a great way to re-injure myself.
So, as I've gotten older, and had spine surgery 2 1/2 years ago, I am generally careful while listening to my body.
Thanks and best regards

flan48 11-20-12 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac (Post 14962518)
ER Docs are great at patching people up -- but not at giving advice... I would check with my own physician. He probably won't know much about it either (he's a jack of all trades) but he may be able to refer to a sports medicine physian or PT who does know about these things. But, if it is a torn muscle (as opposed to a strained one), I doubt it will heal in 2 weeks...

Hi George,
Thanks for your post. I agree with what you have said, and my wife reminded me that the ER doctor did suggest that I see either my family doctor or physiatrist in a week or so. Also, I am sure the problem is a muscle strain which in actuality is a tearing of muscle fibers.

Anyway, I am feeling much better today although the meds are wreaking havoc in my stomach and lower intestine!

Best regards

John_V 11-20-12 02:45 PM

Just let it heal and don't rush it. I just got the OK from my doc, yesterday, to go on short, slow rides because of tendinitis in my left knee. Today was a 4.5 mile ride at 8 mph on my hybrid. A far cry from my daily 30-40 mile rides on my road bike. It was tough not doing my daily rides, but I know it will be worth it when it heals completely.

zandoval 11-26-12 11:00 AM

There are seven muscle groups that roll over each other in that area - And there is no relationship to size of the tear and the resulting pain - Your pain could be from just the inflammation alone - So do your therapy and give it time - Eat well - Think good thoughts - When was the last time you took your bike apart and did the the total rebuild thing? - That could take three weeks...

CrankyFranky 11-26-12 06:09 PM

I said "ouch!" aloud when I read your post. I hope it heals thoroughly and well.
It's really hard to go from "active" to "inert" - doing nothing is against my religion! I've been more or less inert since late June, waiting for my old skin to heal over from an achilles repair - so I can well sympathize. I'm finally back on my commute, at least one way, so I'm finally back on my way. I hope you are too, and soon.