Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Biking for at Least 2 weeks

Well, I did it! Earlier this past week I was doing my weight training routine but with a modification. As my left shoulder had been bothering me, wherein I couldn't do bench or chest presses with resistance, I utilized a band so that I could at least chest press, with resistance, with the right arm and merely use no resistance with the left. Unfortunately I was likely somewhat twisted, and tore an upper back muscle (slightly to the center of the left shoulder blade). Pain was so excruciating that I had to be taken to the emergency room last night.
    Doc gave me a few prescription pain relievers and anti-inflammatories, and admonished me to sit on my butt for at least 2 weeks - yikes.

So besides looking forward to receiving my new Answer Rove FR pedals at the end of this coming week, I will now have to wait 2-3 weeks to even install them on my bike!

In the great scheme of things, this is not important, and I well understand that, but it's a painful bummer nonetheless.

Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your injury. Keep listening to your body. There are times when you just have to back off and take a rest. I have knees and a lower back that occasionally send me messages when to take a break. I have learned to respect those signs.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't workout with weights anymore... I kept injuring myself. Hope you recover quickly. Cycling, stretching, situps and pushups, thats it for me...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teachme View Post
    I don't workout with weights anymore... I kept injuring myself. Hope you recover quickly. Cycling, stretching, situps and pushups, thats it for me...
    I am so sorry for your injury.

I work out with weights all the time for 25 years+ now and have, fortunately, never been injured. I do listen to my body, and when it says REST, I rest - or TOO MUCH - then I back off. I rest each worked part for several days, especially at 73yo.

I did 150 pushups today. I won't do any more for several days.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-18-12 at 07:54 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ER Docs are great at patching people up -- but not at giving advice... I would check with my own physician. He probably won't know much about it either (he's a jack of all trades) but he may be able to refer to a sports medicine physian or PT who does know about these things. But, if it is a torn muscle (as opposed to a strained one), I doubt it will heal in 2 weeks...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried doing several machine lifts with both arms/legs on the positive side and then one arm or leg on the negative to increase the negative resistance. I developed a muscle pain that felt like a kidney infection - it went away quickly when I dropped the eccentric exercises. You have to be careful with resistance training. They should develop a lift assist mechanism that lets you go for higher negative resistance without a spotter.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I am so sorry for your injury.

I work out with weights all the time for 25 years+ now and have, fortunately, never been injured. I do listen to my body, and when it says REST, I rest - or TOO MUCH - then I back off. I rest each worked part for several days, especially at 73yo. I did 150 pushups today. I won't do any more for several days.
    Hi Denver and thanks for your post.
    Yes, I've been working out with weights steadily now for 35 tears. I generally do a full body work out and do so every other day or sometimes every third day.
    From my military experience I'm a big believer in push ups and sit ups along with mid-rows and/or pull ups. However, with my left shoulder hurting me push ups are out, and pull-ups would be a great way to re-injure myself.
    So, as I've gotten older, and had spine surgery 2 1/2 years ago, I am generally careful while listening to my body.
    Thanks and best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    ER Docs are great at patching people up -- but not at giving advice... I would check with my own physician. He probably won't know much about it either (he's a jack of all trades) but he may be able to refer to a sports medicine physian or PT who does know about these things. But, if it is a torn muscle (as opposed to a strained one), I doubt it will heal in 2 weeks...
    Hi George,
    Thanks for your post. I agree with what you have said, and my wife reminded me that the ER doctor did suggest that I see either my family doctor or physiatrist in a week or so. Also, I am sure the problem is a muscle strain which in actuality is a tearing of muscle fibers.

Anyway, I am feeling much better today although the meds are wreaking havoc in my stomach and lower intestine!

Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just let it heal and don't rush it. I just got the OK from my doc, yesterday, to go on short, slow rides because of tendinitis in my left knee. Today was a 4.5 mile ride at 8 mph on my hybrid. A far cry from my daily 30-40 mile rides on my road bike. It was tough not doing my daily rides, but I know it will be worth it when it heals completely.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Univega, PR-10, Ted Williams,UO-8, Puch, PHLE, UO-18 Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are seven muscle groups that roll over each other in that area - And there is no relationship to size of the tear and the resulting pain - Your pain could be from just the inflammation alone - So do your therapy and give it time - Eat well - Think good thoughts - When was the last time you took your bike apart and did the the total rebuild thing? - That could take three weeks...

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said "ouch!" aloud when I read your post. I hope it heals thoroughly and well.
    It's really hard to go from "active" to "inert" - doing nothing is against my religion! I've been more or less inert since late June, waiting for my old skin to heal over from an achilles repair - so I can well sympathize. I'm finally back on my commute, at least one way, so I'm finally back on my way. I hope you are too, and soon.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike