Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 Catrike Trail

Yes, I succumbed to the Catrike winter promotion and got myself a Trail like my wife's except in the new Lava Red:

Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking trike Craig, looks like a well built and engineered machine to me. Disks and quality components it looks like in the pics. Is that a TruVative crankset? A ride report is now mandatory you know!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very red and very clean.
    Take off the chainguard and the trike will be lighter, faster and more intimidating to others.
    Are you familiar with Hostel Shoppe? One of the great online retailers who have lots of the stuff that you need for 'bent bikes and trikes.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hot. It's hot.

This is almost de rigeur.
    Last edited by Dudelsack; 11-18-12 at 08:51 PM.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Very nice looking trike Craig, looks like a well built and engineered machine to me. Disks and quality components it looks like in the pics. Is that a TruVative crankset? A ride report is now mandatory you know!

Bill
    It is a solid little thing, for sure. Avid BB7 discs, SRAM X7 shifters and rear derailleur, and yes, a TruVative Touro crankset. We went out for a little 11 mile spin yesterday afternoon and had a lot of fun. It's definitely not going to burn up any roads, but there's so many other aspects of riding it that more than compensate for lack of speed. Including sitting clipped in at stoplights, waiting for the green. It really feels kind of weird doing it. Like you have no business being out in the fresh air while on your lounge chair. Muscle use is a little different, too, and will take a few rides to get used to and start building endurance. We did this same route last weekend, with my wife on her Trail and me on my mountain bike, and being that short, it felt like nothing at all to me. Yesterday, I was ready for a break by the time we finished. Kind of humbling. It made me really appreciate my wife's effort, since she hadn't been out riding anything at all for over 2 years.

Lacking any better ride report, here's a link to an account of my comparison test-ride between this and its more expensive sibling, the Catrike Expedition.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Very red and very clean.
    Take off the chainguard and the trike will be lighter, faster and more intimidating to others.
    Are you familiar with Hostel Shoppe? One of the great online retailers who have lots of the stuff that you need for 'bent bikes and trikes.
    So is the chain guard an embarrassment like a dork disc is? I wouldn't mind a little bit of weight taken off the front end.

I've spent a lot of time on HS's website, as well as Utah Trikes. Both are great resources.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walking my V-Rex through the crowded streets of downtown Indy during the Super Bowl activities, I was afraid the exposed teeth of the big ring was going to bite the leg of an innocent bystander.
    Chainguard would have come in handy then.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think JanMM has come up with a valid point. Not just for other people around but For you aswell. That chainring would be better at keeping me out of the bike shed than the Bikes hanging on the rafters that before I put them up I always put them into the big chainring.

A greasy chain across the scalp may hurt but doesn't draw blood.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Think JanMM has come up with a valid point. Not just for other people around but For you aswell.
    The best way to cover the big ring is with your chain.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Walking my V-Rex through the crowded streets of downtown Indy during the Super Bowl activities, I was afraid the exposed teeth of the big ring was going to bite the leg of an innocent bystander.
    Chainguard would have come in handy then.
    There not only for innocent bystanders. Before I got one and installed it on my wife's trike, I couldn't tell you how many times we have been stabbed in the back of the legs while walking her trike. The one I got for her, from eBay, hardly weighted enough to worry about, especially when the trike weighs 30 pounds.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on chainguards. Particularly if you already have one.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wasn't seriously considering taking it off - I just wanted to know how Fredly I was going to appear. Judging by some of the other "accessories" I see trikes tricked out with, I don't think they hold to the same aesthetic that roadies do.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! That is a good looking bike. I am sure you will be happy with it. And, it will always be a nice change from its diamond frame siblings... Variety is the spice...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad