Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pump Head Popping Off

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pump Head Popping Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Pump Head Popping Off

After seven years of use the pump head on my Topeak Joe Blow floor pump has started popping off or leaking air as I get to any pressure over about 80 psi. I'm thinking it is time for a rebuild. Has anyone done this? Are the parts hard to find?
Old 11-27-12, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Looks like what you need is listed here:
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pump-Replacement-Kit

Looks pretty simple to replace.
Old 11-27-12, 03:19 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Several years ago I got a top rated floor pump. Pump was fantastic but I did not like the head. The shop had warned about this so I got a Topeak replacement head for it. Nothing wrong with the old one but the New Topeak head felt right- has never let me down and does not leak-even at 150psi.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-28-12, 03:46 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
After seven years of use the pump head on my Topeak Joe Blow floor pump has started popping off or leaking air as I get to any pressure over about 80 psi. I'm thinking it is time for a rebuild. Has anyone done this? Are the parts hard to find?
The one time I did it all I had to do was send an email to Topeak stating "My Joe Blow floor pump has started popping off or leaking air as I get to any pressure over about 80 psi" (or something to that effect) and they sent me the pump head rebuild kit free of charge.

Of course, I didn't tell them my pump was seven years old (it wasn't; mine was more like two years old).

It's really easy to fix once you have the kit, takes less than five minutes.
Old 11-28-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NOS -- I apologize if I am steeling your thread, but something has been bothering me.

I keep having trouble getting the head of the pump to seat properly. Sometimes I get a high reading and realize that the air just isn't going into the presta valve. Other time it just leaks.

Lately, I have had success removing the head and opening (or closing) the presta valve a little.

Is it something that I am doing wrong or is it the pump (or the valves) that I am using?
... Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. This has been making me a little crazy...

Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 11-28-12 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 09:07 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This may be a silly response, but I am sure you are aware that the presta valve must be opened about 1+ turn before pumping? Maybe I misread your post?

Sorry if I insulted you.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-28-12 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 09:48 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This may be a silly response, but I am sure you are aware that the presta valve must be opened about 1+ turn before pumping? Maybe I misread your post?

Sorry if I insulted you.
No! Not at all! That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for... Perhaps I have not been opening it wide enough... I plan on going out tomorrow. I'll try to do at least a full turn (although the things are so tiny it's hard to tell how far I've turned them).

Thanks!
Old 11-28-12, 10:08 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
No! Not at all! That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for... Perhaps I have not been opening it wide enough... I plan on going out tomorrow. I'll try to do at least a full turn (although the things are so tiny it's hard to tell how far I've turned them).

Thanks!
OK - I just turn it a turn or two and it works for me. Experiment a bit. Good luck.
Old 11-28-12, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
probably a silly question, but can you pump a presta valve if the top of the valve stem has broken off? I'll be forced to find out in a day or so, but by then my shipment of tubes should have arrived and I'll be able to change out the tube if the answer is no.
Old 11-28-12, 10:33 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by jon c.
probably a silly question, but can you pump a presta valve if the top of the valve stem has broken off? I'll be forced to find out in a day or so, but by then my shipment of tubes should have arrived and I'll be able to change out the tube if the answer is no.
In my experience it is sort of hit and miss, and didn't last too long. However, I have had to do that just a couple of times, once when the top broke off in the middle of the ride. I guess in theory it ought to work,

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-28-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac

I keep having trouble getting the head of the pump to seat properly. Sometimes I get a high reading and realize that the air just isn't going into the presta valve. Other time it just leaks.

Is it something that I am doing wrong or is it the pump (or the valves) that I am using?s.
Sometimes an older valve doesn't work smoothly. What I do is open the valve and press down with my thumb until some air comes out. This makes sure the valve now opens properly. Then I attach the pump head and it is fine.
Old 11-28-12, 11:25 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
As above, you need to tap a presta to make sure its not stuck shut, then its pretty easy.
Old 11-29-12, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Looks like what you need is listed here:
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pump-Replacement-Kit

Looks pretty simple to replace.
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
NOS,
Probably the neophrene washer on the presta side, if it is a two sided head. Worn out from the valve's threads. The rebuild kit should have this as well as the inner plunger's gasket. Be sure to grease the inner gasket before you put the plunger back into the tube body.

Bill
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
The one time I did it all I had to do was send an email to Topeak stating "My Joe Blow floor pump has started popping off or leaking air as I get to any pressure over about 80 psi" (or something to that effect) and they sent me the pump head rebuild kit free of charge.

Of course, I didn't tell them my pump was seven years old (it wasn't; mine was more like two years old).

It's really easy to fix once you have the kit, takes less than five minutes.
Thanks, folks. I ordered the repair kit today. The last floor pump I had before the Topeak was a 30 year old Schwinn. When the head on it was shot, there was no replacement. I guess my cynical view of some corporate practices led me to assume rebuilds were not possible.
Old 11-29-12, 04:27 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
There's actually two different dual-head units on Joe Blows (and a few different Joe Blow models). The older one which I have is a little hard to grab and twist to lock as my hands get increasingly arthritic. I'm thinking of getting the newer one with the yellow lock lever. But so far, I've not had to replace the gasket - but I've had to replace the tubing going to the head - it just got full of cracks.
Old 11-29-12, 04:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
As above, you need to tap a presta to make sure its not stuck shut, then its pretty easy.
Thanks! (and you too StanSeven) -- I think that was the problem. The valves are not old and I inflate the tires nearly every day (so you wouldn't think that they would stick) -- but after I tapped each of them today, the pump head went right on and worked properly...

Thanks -- that was making nuts!
Old 11-30-12, 12:11 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Thanks, folks. I ordered the repair kit today. The last floor pump I had before the Topeak was a 30 year old Schwinn. When the head on it was shot, there was no replacement. I guess my cynical view of some corporate practices led me to assume rebuilds were not possible.
I ordered a kit for a JoeBlow Pro /Turbo (needed the spring for the office pump and o-ring for home pump) through my LBS.
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/trk_jb01

The kit came in without without the o-ring. I had gotten tired of waiting for the kit, so I made an educated guess on the o-ring and got a plumbing o-ring from the hardware store. $0.62 for the package of two. It worked and now I have a spare o-ring.

The kit did finally come in and now the office pump is working as well.

Just in case you have a JoeBlow Pro or Turbo the o-ring size is 1/2" I.D. (5/8" O.D.) x 1/16" wall part # SC 0529.

Last edited by CB HI; 11-30-12 at 12:14 AM.