Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The things you learn...

It's been cold a few mornings lately, under 30 (farenheit) when I leave. Last year I picked up some embrocation by a company called Training Day. A little on your toes and your feet don't freeze up. Works pretty well, but one of the ingredients is extracted from peppers--habenero, I think--and it's supposed to help your skin stay warm. Might work better on legs than on toes, but my feet stay warm without having to put heavy socks on unless the temp dips below 15 or so.

Well, one of the key things to remember if you use this stuff is that after your shower, dry your feet last. I got to work on Friday, showered, got to my desk and about 20 minutes later had a warm tingly feeling in my nether regions that I was not exactly going for. My co-workers probably wondered why I was squirming at my desk for a while. "It burns!"

By the way, I think Vaseline does the same thing as the embrocation, with no peppers.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cool. Well not literally obviously. Do you start jonesin' for Mexican food?

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capsaicin.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    Capsaicin.
    Oh yeah....
    Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play.
    Immanuel Kant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gives a whole new meaning to "Feel the burn!"
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlstrat View Post
    Well, one of the key things to remember if you use this stuff is that after your shower, dry your feet last. I got to work on Friday, showered, got to my desk and about 20 minutes later had a warm tingly feeling in my nether regions that I was not exactly going for. My co-workers probably wondered why I was squirming at my desk for a while. "It burns!"
    My wife just looked over at me and was wondering why I was cackling. Thank you for that.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decades ago I was doing a bit of lab work with capsaicin, looking at some of it's effects on cultured cells. One weekend while I was out of town my boss decided he just had to join the fun. Unfortunately, he didn't know the correct method for weighing out small amounts of hazardous substances. His improvised technique was to wear a dust mask while weighing it out. That might have worked just fine for him but for one detail: he didn't make up enough solution for his purposes. So, he went back to the scale and put his protective dust mask on...reversed. He had a very uncomfortable night.

One thing I should add here. Capsaicin stimulates the release of a neurotransmitter known as Substance P. The P stands for PAIN, appropriately enough.

My Bikes
    Easy Racer Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx Delta, Scott Aspect 940 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and wash your hands in very warm soapy water for quite a while after you use Ben Gay,,,BEFORE you go to the bathroom,,,,

Just sayin,,,
    Getting Stronger, Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Harley 1200R Sportster

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I gave you a laugh...

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    That's cool. Well not literally obviously. Do you start jonesin' for Mexican food?
    I laughed at that one!

My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along those lines....when you are toasting spices, including red pepper flakes & pepper corns, in a fry pan, don't decide to lean over the pan to take a whiff - you will mustard gas your self.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and wash your hands in very warm soapy water for quite a while after you use Ben Gay,,,BEFORE you go to the bathroom,,,,
    Many years ago I didn't heed this advice after peeling jalapenos for our home made salsa. I came out of the bathroom and I began experiencing quite a bit of discomfort. I told my wife and sister that I had to go take a shower, Right NOW! I'll never forget hearing their laughter over the sound of the shower. And I'll never forget to wash my hands before​ going to the bathroom after handling peppers.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too funny! Interesting stuff, capsaicin.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '7 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by missjean View Post
    Along those lines....when you are toasting spices, including red pepper flakes & pepper corns, in a fry pan, don't decide to lean over the pan to take a whiff - you will mustard gas your self.
    I had a friend who was the main cornea surgeon at a teaching hospital. One Saturday afternoon he got a frantic call from someone in the dermatology department. The chairman of the derm. department had opened a microwave that was at face height after cooking peppers in it. When the cornea surgeon got there, the derm chief had his face in a bucket of ice water and would only take it out to breath. I guess capsaicin can be carried on steam.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta CA2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most police training programs require that all trainees receive a face full of OC spray. Then, generally speaking, you have to perform a weapons retention drill.

They don't tell you but I've always thought it was a use of force lesson ie you have a gun/he has OC spray. Whatchagonnado?

Personally, I know the answer to that question. A face full of OC is not fun....and yes, you have to remove your glasses first.
    Cheers, Gerry
    gerryelam.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha. I'm reading this thread sitting at a restaurant table. Minutes ago, I liberally applied Tabasco sauce to by sizzling skillet breakfast. Somehow, some of it found it's way to my left eye. The pain is pretty much gone now, but it's still watering.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlstrat View Post
    It's been cold a few mornings lately, under 30 (farenheit) when I leave. Last year I picked up some embrocation by a company called Training Day. A little on your toes and your feet don't freeze up. ...
    This stuff generates a warm sensation, but does not generate heat or help retain it. It may keep you from feeling cold and stimulate circulation a bit, but it won't keep your toes from actually getting cold or even frostbite.

Vaseline does essentially nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there, done that. I had a tightness along the inside of my thigh, so I thought I'd use some sports cream, I think it was called Flexall 457, to loosen it up so I could walk when we got to te mall. I put some on, being very careful to not get too close to where I didn't want it. Washed hands thoroughly. Did you know that that stuff can migrate? By the time we got to the mall, my thigh was still tight, but my eggs where getting hard boiled. It was an interesting few hours.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OC spray,,Ha ! I can eat that stuff for breakfast,,LOL

Try being a crazy person in the military,,
    I did the tear gas thing,,only one not to choke,,made my eys water alot tho....

When everyone walked out into the fresh air coughing I slipped to the side and pulled my rain poncho over me,
    to keep the tear gas stuff in my hair and on my uniform,,,,,
    The squadron break room was a short walk,,
    It was full of troops,
    I walked up to the fan, turned it towards the middle of the room, stood right infront of it,
    took off the pancho, ruffled my hair,,what little I had, and shook like a dog,,,
    Cleared the room,,the doughnuts were all mine

To clarify
    10% oc, the kind you need for a bear will drop me but I can still get right back up and fight,,,

The kind a freinds wife had in her purse did nothing to me. I let her test it,,
    Last edited by osco53; 11-21-12 at 08:46 AM.
    Getting Stronger, Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Harley 1200R Sportster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I too late to tell those of you who have related their tales of woe on this thread that if I'm preparing peppers, I use disposable gloves.

I used to go commando, but not now!

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
    snip....Try being a crazy person in the military,,
    I did the tear gas thing,,only one not to choke,,made my eys water alot tho....snip
    Longest few minutes of my life were singing the Marine's Hymn in the chamber at PI.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    This stuff generates a warm sensation, but does not generate heat or help retain it. It may keep you from feeling cold and stimulate circulation a bit, but it won't keep your toes from actually getting cold or even frostbite.

Vaseline does essentially nothing.
    This.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Vaseline does essentially nothing."

Skiers use it, the theory being that it prevents heat loss due to water vapor. Also, since road shoes and booties both breathe, it helps cut down on some of the wind that gets through. That's the theory on a few web-sites anyway and it might be bogus. It does help keep your face warm.
    Last edited by jlstrat; 11-22-12 at 10:09 AM.

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skiers use it, the theory being that it prevents heat loss due to water vapor. Also, since road shoes and booties both breathe, it helps cut down on some of the wind that gets through. That's the theory on a few web-sites anyway. It does help keep your face warm.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Longest few minutes of my life were singing the Marine's Hymn in the chamber at PI.

Bill
    This ol wingnut hears ya,,,nods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast