User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non Bicycle survey of suburban dwellers.

How many of you have coyotes roaming your neighborhood?

I found out we did, just this morning. After hearing a loud siren-like noise, I looked out the front window to see if I could spot what was making the racket, and what to I see trotting into the front yard from the side of the house? If you guessed "coyote" for some reason, you're right! The critter had a bit of a limp, as he or she trotted down our front yard, across the street, and up the hill of the neighbor's yard, disappearing into the fog.

This was a first for me, since occasional deer sightings were about as exciting as the wildlife got in the neighborhood. The hawks are really increasing around here too. I've even seen one or two falcons zooming through the air.

What's next? Mountain lions? Though generally, one doesn't see these, even if they're three feet away from one...

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I live in CT and relatively close to a couple towns, my town is a farming community and we have coyotes all over the place. In fact, I think they killed a neighbor's dog the other night. Didn't see it but heard what I believe was an attack. I've bought a .22 ***** 'cause they are not getting away with attacking my dogs.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    Although I live in CT and relatively close to a couple towns, my town is a farming community and we have coyotes all over the place. In fact, I think they killed a neighbor's dog the other night. Didn't see it but heard what I believe was an attack. I've bought a .22 ***** 'cause they are not getting away with attacking my dogs.
    I've never seen coyotes at my house, but it's not uncommon to hear them yipping at night; and I occasionally see tracks 'way out in back. A few years ago someone shot a buck, which got away from them and made it into my back yard before dying. I'm not sure if the coyotes finished him off or merely found him before me; but by the time I knew about it (the next day) the skeleton had been dragged under cover and picked clean. Again, 'way out in back. They've never bothered my animals.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness we don't have many wild "Dangerous" animals over here. Plenty to worry and endanger livestock but in the main there is not a problem--EXCEPT-- Urban Fox's. They are beginning to be a pest and it is not unusual to find a few round the streets looking for food. They are no longer afraid of Humans and small dogs are ignored.

However up on the hills we have plenty of livestock- sheep and young cattle and they are a problem here. Luckily they are afraid of Humans so the lone Mountain biker is not going to have a problem. Plenty of Deer aswell down in the woods and in the rutting season you had better have your strong legs on.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of coyotes where I live.
    In fact I've had a pack living on my lower hillside for years.
    They keep the ground squirrel population down, don't bother people and they're fun to watch, hunting in the evenings.

They come up to the house occasionally to drink from a small lily pond I have. I'll take coyotes over those demonic raccoons anytime.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coyotes all over the place. I see them frequently on rides. Despite other's claims that they don't attack humans, there have been at least 6 verified attacks (and injuries) on humans in the Denver metro area, and a couple of towns shoot them. Don't try and have an outside small dog or cat. That will be a lunch for a coyote.

There have been a couple of times when they attacked a dog on a leash held by a human, leading to a tug-of-war.

Coyote attacks on humans:

2/23/2009 Denver, CO Coyotes attack Denver woman, dog
    State wildlife officials say coyotes attacked a 51-year-old Denver woman walking her dog on Saturday evening. The woman reported being surrounded by three coyotes near her home on the 3900 block of South Oneida Street. She said two of the animals attacked her 75-pound Labrador retriever. When she tried to protect her pet, one of the coyotes scratched and bit her. --snip-- Read the story HERE.
    Erie Boy Undergoing Rabies Treatment After Coyote Attack
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-21-12 at 05:09 PM.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, coyotes over raccoons any day. In Vancouver, tourists tend to gawk at the raccoons as they trundle past the green spaces. They have no clue how ugly and vicious they can be, probably never having seen any in their respectable urban 'hoods.

When I lived in Victoria for six months on a temporary assignment, I was dismayed at how sympathetic the residents there were towards their burgeoning rabbit and deer populations. They had rabbits running all over the University of Victoria, and you'd be riding peacefully on back roads in Victoria's western communities, round a corner, and nearly hit a deer standing nonchalantly in the middle of the road. I always figured we needed to export some nice Lower Mainland coyotes to Victoria to restore the balance of nature.

Luis

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I've seen a few coyotes in town. Not right in house yards, but while riding on our local MUP that runs right behind yards and through the nearby business park. I've also seen foxes in town but not as frequently. And bobcats, although the ones I've seen have all been outside the town limits. So far I've only seen a mountain lion once (mother and her two cubs) and that was in the hills about a mile from the nearest suburb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got them at the home in Louisiana. We're located within about 1/2 mile of the Kisatchie National Forest and have all manner of critters in the area.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coyotes spotted in our suburban 'hood occasionally. And foxes. And raccoons. Haven't seen 'possums recently, but I know they are around in great numbers.
    No reports of deer in the 'hood in recent years but I have spotted them near the road I use for my suburban/urban commute. (Hadn't seen them there until the last couple of years.)
    And geese! I would invite the troublesome Canada geese to all fly to Canada! (Sorry, Canadians.) Maybe they would be happy in Mexico?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, for both NM and NJ. In NM we get the full choral treatment at night though.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    How many of you have coyotes roaming your neighborhood?

I found out we did, just this morning. After hearing a loud siren-like noise, I looked out the front window to see if I could spot what was making the racket, and what to I see trotting into the front yard from the side of the house? If you guessed "coyote" for some reason, you're right! The critter had a bit of a limp, as he or she trotted down our front yard, across the street, and up the hill of the neighbor's yard, disappearing into the fog.

This was a first for me, since occasional deer sightings were about as exciting as the wildlife got in the neighborhood. The hawks are really increasing around here too. I've even seen one or two falcons zooming through the air.

What's next? Mountain lions? Though generally, one doesn't see these, even if they're three feet away from one...
    In the day, walking with difficulty? I'd give it a very wide berth. Rabies suspect. Could have just been injured, but I'd stay well away to be on the safe side.

And yotes, deer, foxes, coons, wild turkeys, possum, yup, we got 'em all. I have a few hundred acres of conservation land behind the house, and if it lives in eastern Massachusetts, it lives in there.
    Last edited by mprelaw; 11-21-12 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, none around our house yet. We have an adopted feral cat colony outside, so we sure don't want to see any. (Had a feral female hanging around a couple years ago. We'd toss her left over food from our indoor cats. Before we knew it, there were three generations. We trapped and fixed them all and managed to adopt out some of the kittens. Had about 16 of them at the peak, but with adoptions and attrition, we're down to 7. It was amazing how quickly the problem took off before we got a handle on it. But they are the sweetest feral cats going.)

There are coyotes all around us (Florida panhandle) and many communities in the county have problems with them attacking cats and dogs, but for some reason none have appeared in our immediate area. Hope it stays that way.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our school busses don't have door locks so I made a PVC "critter stick" that keeps my bus door closed overnight. Otherwise the raccoons get onto the bus, upend the waste basket, eat any food the kids have left, and occassionally poop. I hate that - especially the pooping.

My bus route passes through 5 miles of wildlife refuge several times each day. I've had more deer sightings (and near strikings) this year than any that I can remember. Lots of wild turkey too. No coyotes though. Deer hunters, however, haven't reported having much luck this year which doesn't make any sense to me.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been here for years. Mountain lions are showing up in the eastern part of the state.

My Bikes
    69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen any coyotes around here but I hear that they are about. I live in the city yet we have seen a burgeoning population of deer and foxes. I surprised a nice buck in my side yard as I rolled down the driveway yesterday.

-G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a whole thread about these critters in the Northeast section of BF a while back. Seems they've been using the rail-trail in lower Westchester County (South County Trail) as a coyote interstate, with numerous sightings. One post commented that there's reputedly a breeding pair in Van Cortland Park (according to park personnel), which is in the northern portion of the Bronx. There have also been numerous sightings over the years in NYC including lower Manhattan, go figure. They are ALL over the place in Westchester.

The eastern coyotes are thought to have interbred with wolves at some point, possibly in northern Maine and portions of Canada. Thus the eastern branch tend to be larger then those found out west, as well sometimes hunting in packs. There was a young women killed by what was thought to be a pack of coyotes in Cape Breton Island National Park, in Nova Scotia in 2009. There have been two additional attacks on teenagers this past year, one in May, another in Sept., both on Cape Breton, plus incidents in Rye, NY last summer, though they believe that coyote was rabid. Of course, 3 million children a year are bitten by dogs in the US, typically so it's not exactly an invasion.

Part of me would welcome them, they'd keep the raccoon population in check, but part will rue the day they get to my section of Long Island, though I suspect I will no longer own an outdoor cat. Cats and small dogs are easy picking, though cats have a better chance as they tend to run. Small dogs tend to recognize another canine and will sometimes stay and fight.

I see hawks everywhere, including one I call Springfield, as he/she prowls the Belt Parkway near Kennedy Airport, near Springfield Blvd. I see this hawk on perched on the light poles in the center of the highway. Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Lightingguy; 11-21-12 at 07:24 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 4300, '85 Trek 400,'88 Trek 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Northwest Suburbia of Chicago. And I have seen more of them this year. I have also heard "fighting" not normal dog/cat sounds on my evening rides. I'd bet that there are some missing small dogs and cats recently. I have also seen a LOT more skunks this year.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a lot of coyotes have had for a long time
    we also have an occasional couger also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuB0Koi0OvU

It was determined that this cat traveled into town from up near the Dakota's

It had been seen not 3 blocks from my house but nobody believed it until the police shot it

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got'em here in north Alabama. Many have been seen here in the city and the animal control folks have tried to trap them without much success. My in-laws live on the boundary of a national forest and have had problems with coyotes harassing calves in the pastures. I have seen them several times on my rides through rural farm land and woods.

Newest problem in the national forest here are feral pigs which are very destructive to the surrounding areas.
    1988 TREK 400T, 1985 TREK 470, 1988 DiamondBack Ascent EX

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we got 'em. You hear them howling along with the emergency sirens and train horns. I almost ran one over the trail once.... a BIG one. Fortunately he was as startled as I was and bolted away from me. I also had a showdown with what I'm pretty sure was a coyote-shepherd hybrid. That was scary.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of coyotes here and a lot of pets disappear. There was a feral cat here for about 9 years but I haven't seen him lately.
    We also have raccoons, I have to tie up the trash can, and skunks.
    Saw mountain lions twice while riding the mtb near home. Rattelsnakes in the yard, hawks, falcons, tarantulas, giant centipedes, scorpions, you name it.

Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real wildlife in Vancouver, WA - we are in the city a couple of miles from any open land - but plenty of wildlife in Ocean Shores on the Central (and remote) WA coast. We see deer, rabbits and raccoons regularly, plus we saw a coyote several months ago. The neighbor, who manages the local vet clinic, says there are cougars out here, too. Bears have been cited on occasion, but that's very rare. Only incident we have heard of is five raccons attacking a lady walking her dog a couple of months ago.

ADD: Appears the Snowy Owls might be back this year. We had gawkers and nature photographers all over Damon Point last year watching the owls, who seemed to be watching the people.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2017100661_snowieSnowy Owl.jpghtml
    Last edited by Foldable Two; 11-22-12 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Addition

My Bikes
    Pacific Reach, Specialized Myka Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None here. We do have raccoons and possums, a lot of ducks and the occasional heron and egret. Even though I hike quite a bit, I've never seen a coyote, only heard them in the distance. I hope to be lucky enough to see a mountain lion someday.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Police killed a troublesome, lone coyote in a nearby township one year ago. That is the only confirmed recent sighting of a coyote in our county that I know of. There are plenty of other wild creatures, though. This past June I went downstairs at about 4:30 a.m. one morning to get a glass of water, and I noticed that our motion-activated lights over our garage in the front yard had just switched-on. I looked out the window and saw a fox poking around our front yard. We have several squirrels which live in the trees in our yard, and I could see the fox circling these trees with his nose to the ground. He was obviously picking up the scent of the squirrels.

I see redtailed hawks all the time, and I've seen peregrine falcons on about four occasions in the 40 years I've lived in this area. Like most of suburban America, we have way too many deer around, though fortunately, we haven't suffered the nuisance increase in the raccoon population that many areas have. There are a few skunks around, though they are strictly nocturnal so they don't pose much of a problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast