Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N+1 - SS Commuter

HPIM3307.jpg

Found this used Masi SS I setup as a commuter.

I changed out the original stem and bars, since the drop between seat and stem was 5in. and the reach was 14cm (yes, 140mm) longer the bar in the picture. The rear wheel has a flip fop hub, so I could switch to fixed gear, or maybe not.

My commute is 29 miles round trip, and between getting sick, and some crummy weather, I've commuted only 3 days on this bike, so far. Hope to remedy that in the coming weeks.

The steel frame feels great, no road buzz, and the bike handles much better then my old steel MTB I was using previously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice bike--but you want to 'flip' it. Go fixed. Once you get over the initial learning curve, it is soooo nice. My main commuter is the fixed gear in my avatar--and my commute is 48 miles round trip.

train safe-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    but you want to 'flip' it. Go fixed. Once you get over the initial learning curve, it is soooo nice.
    Thanks for the compliment.

The original stem is -10 degrees, or so, which didn't suit me. I wanted something more up right, think this one is a little to much, seat is only half inch higher then the bars.

As for riding fixed.........at some point, maybe. Just having a hard time figuring "why" or how this will improve the ride. It actually sounds a little intimidating once I realized how much and how often I do coast.
    Last edited by GFish; 11-23-12 at 02:43 PM.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice commuter bike, I'd like to meet the person using that long of a reach stem in the original set-up. They must have an ape length arm/torso ratio.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Nice commuter bike, I'd like to meet the person using that long of a reach stem in the original set-up. They must have an ape length arm/torso ratio.

Bill
    My test ride was on the original setup. Between the drops and the hoods, didn't make much difference since I was completely stretched out. The odd thing was, the position didn't bother me, actually thought it would be fun on less traveled rural roads. Just not for fully loaded commuting in the dark.