Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what's your definition of "gaining weight over the winter?" 5 lbs? 10lbs? 10lbs+? I wouldn't kill yourself over 5 extra lbs (just due to the Xmas holidays) as long as you stay consistent on the bike and eat sensibly for the rest of the year. How many people can go thru life w/o eating a cookie!? IMO, most cannot, and certainly not me. For most of the population, it's not easy to maintain weight over the yrs as they age. Find a compelling reason to stay on the fitness program, and do your best to control/lessen the junk food intake and overeating.
    Last edited by WC89; 12-06-12 at 09:33 AM.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using the "Do the Correct Diet and Eating Plan or Else....." still and will be for pretty much the rest of my life, hopefully a long, long time. I made it through Thanksgiving without any sweets or junk food at all. My only treat was a sliver of pecan pie when Rowan and Machka visited on my birthday, probably around 1 oz of pie. No salt on anything anymore and Monica cooks without it to, nutritional labels are my buddies when I shop for groceries each week.

The Chronic Renal Failure, Stage 3B, diagnosis was all it took to make me change my eating habits. We just don't put the sweets or junk food in the house anymore. I have managed to loose 40 lbs since July with the eating control and by riding, these habits are not going to change. I feel much better now, the last lab numbers showed I had done well in managing the kidney disease and it had not progressed any. The thought of getting to the point of dialysis or worse, waiting for a transplant, is enough to keep me from junking my way down. I can still eat good meals, and enjoy the holidays without the bad stuff so I am good to go. Bring 'em on.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I am using the "Do the Correct Diet and Eating Plan or Else....." still and will be for pretty much the rest of my life, hopefully a long, long time. I made it through Thanksgiving without any sweets or junk food at all. My only treat was a sliver of pecan pie when Rowan and Machka visited on my birthday, probably around 1 oz of pie. No salt on anything anymore and Monica cooks without it to, nutritional labels are my buddies when I shop for groceries each week.

The Chronic Renal Failure, Stage 3B, diagnosis was all it took to make me change my eating habits. We just don't put the sweets or junk food in the house anymore. I have managed to loose 40 lbs since July with the eating control and by riding, these habits are not going to change. I feel much better now, the last lab numbers showed I had done well in managing the kidney disease and it had not progressed any. The thought of getting to the point of dialysis or worse, waiting for a transplant, is enough to keep me from junking my way down. I can still eat good meals, and enjoy the holidays without the bad stuff so I am good to go. Bring 'em on.

Bill
    Congrats to you for fighting the good fight. I got a similar-themed, but much less severe, wake-up call from my physician at the beginning of the year. He basically said if I didn't lower my BP (primarily by getting more excercise and losing some pounds) he was going to put me on BP medication. I didn't like the sound of that (potential permanent side effects, plus I'm a cheap SOB and I didn't even want to pay the co-pay for medication for the rest of my life), so I got back on my bike for the first time in over 10 years, stopped buying potato chips and other salty snacks every week, started really watching my diet (even occasionally *horrors* going to bed a bit hungry). Now, 10-11 months later, I've lost about 30 pounds (very noticeable on a 5'-3" frame), and at my last check up my BP was something like 117/77. I'm feeling better, my clothes fit better (actually my pants are getting baggy; they were snug - needed to get a new belt and cinch em up), and I can ride farther and faster. I wish I'd done this 10 years ago.

I'm not on a diet per se, but I am watching what "goes in the fuel tank" and getting a lot more excercise (either on the bike or wind trainer at least 6 days per week). I still eat the occasional salty snack or piece of pecan pie with ice cream (I don't think I could ever permanently give them up) I just don't make a habit of indulging (maybe once every two or three months).

Well, this is what works for me. I think everyone needs to find what works for them.

Good luck,

KB

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got ADD, had It since I was a curtian climber, I like coffie and I have no off switch.
    If Ya see me sitting still for more than 20 minuts, I'm prolly dead.

If I can stay out of the pie I'll be fine
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Yet another of those things that is simple but not easy. (And actually, if you look at the nitty-gritty molecular details, it's really not even that simple.)
    well said

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12