Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 12-02-12, 07:22 PM   #1
Shamrock

Bikes:
best cycling area

I live in New Jersey northeast part of USA.(near New York)I'm aware some are from across the ocean.Now that it is cold and raw on my rides.I'm thinking where is the best climate for year round cycling.It is not New Jersey.Winters are cold, snowy and icy.Florida is too hot and buggy in the summer.Where is one to go?I'm thinking California but what about those mud slides,hill fires and earth quakes?Where can a cyclist go.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 07:42 PM   #2
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02
Cali's mudslides, fires, and earthquakes are just Cali - however, add 24-hour-New-York-based-news to it, and you have a disaster-laden state that you'd think is just one giant blockbuster disaster movie. Those aren't the reasons I don't live in CA, though. There are plenty of reasons folks are moving away from there other than the "nature" related stuff.

Oregon is great, except (IMHO) for politics, if you can stand to ride in the rain. Southern Oregon and anything east of the Cascades will have less wet - same in Washington. Plusses and minuses to just about everywhere - I can't think of anywhere where you don't have something to contend with, so you kinda get to pick yer poison.
david58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 08:11 PM   #3
Esteban58
West Coast Weenie

Bikes: 2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
Alternatively, you could summer in California / Oregon / Washington and winter in Arizona... Assuming you can afford it, that would work out pretty well for maximizing good weather riding
Esteban58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 08:19 PM   #4
TomD77

Bikes:
Hawaii is out of the question?
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 07:26 AM   #5
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Florida is "too hot" in the summer. I was in Illinois this past summer and it was an oven up there. The humidity we have here is no more than what many other states along the Atlantic have. Currently, our temps are in the upper 70's and low 80's and I still have the A/C on in the car when I go somewhere.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 07:58 AM   #6
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Arizona: November-April and Colorado: May-October

That's my plan.
Old 12-03-12, 08:10 AM   #7
jdon

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I don't know why everyone keeps saying Florida is "too hot" in the summer. I was in Illinois this past summer and it was an oven up there. The humidity we have here is no more than what many other states along the Atlantic have. Currently, our temps are in the upper 70's and low 80's and I still have the A/C on in the car when I go somewhere.
I have had a lot of great cycling in the Ocala/ Gainesville area but still find south Florida too sticky in the summer. That stickiness does run right up through the Ohio Valley into the Great Lakes area though.

I am with jppe. If you can split Arizona/ Colorado, or take the rain of the west coast, you will have pretty good conditions.
jdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:15 AM   #8
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Along the Mediterranean coast in Spain or Italy. Or along the southern California coast. Both locations might see some rain and cool weather in the winter, but I could live with that.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:34 AM   #9
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
+1 on Spain or Italy.
I've never been there but all the cycling mags talk about it a lot and the pictures look very inviting.

And Jesus looking upon them saith, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:39 AM   #10
leob1

Bikes:
I live in New Jersey. I ride year round. No reason not to.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 08:40 AM   #11
big john

Bikes:
Tough to beat southern California for year round riding. I can't remember the last time I missed a weekend because of weather.
I've been here since 1956 and there have been 2 damaging earthquakes. Not trying to minimize how terrible they are, but they don't happen very often.
As far as mudslides, these only affect a very few people in certain areas. The fires affect more people, but never the masses.
There are other reasons not to live here, it's expensive, can be crowded, and there are ******** about, but if you want club rides, races, track, or mtb, it's all here all year.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 09:11 AM   #12
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
My vote:

Valle Crucis NC
IBOHUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 09:49 AM   #13
Terex

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
I live in New Jersey. I ride year round. No reason not to.
Agreed. Coastal weather changes every few days, and during winter you're rarely grounded for more than 2-3 days at a time. Roads in Hunterdon county and north are some of the best for cycling in the country. And no other state has the amazing resource that njbikemap.com provides.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 11:16 AM   #14
badger1

Bikes:
Me, I'll try to return to my place of birth when I (if I can ever!) retire: south-east coast of Vancouver Island.
NOT Vancouver (too much damn rain!), but Victoria and environs -- much drier. Probably the Cowichan Valley ('valley of the sun'), where I was born and grew up.
Sub-Med. microclimate; low/mid 20s (centigrade) in summer; mid/upper teens spring and fall; typically somewhere between 5 and 10 day time highs in winter.
The odd "snow day", but it usually melts off pretty quickly. Lots of great dedicated cycle paths/routes/mtb trails + quiet rural roads easily accessible.
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 11:40 AM   #15
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20
I think St. George, UT or Sedona, AZ. Great weather year round, good local communities. Close to Major cities and airports. Good golf courses, my other four letter word distraction. (Golf, bike, camp fish, hike)

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 11:48 AM   #16
jdon

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Me, I'll try to return to my place of birth when I (if I can ever!) retire: south-east coast of Vancouver Island.
NOT Vancouver (too much damn rain!), but Victoria and environs -- much drier. Probably the Cowichan Valley ('valley of the sun'), where I was born and grew up.
Sub-Med. microclimate; low/mid 20s (centigrade) in summer; mid/upper teens spring and fall; typically somewhere between 5 and 10 day time highs in winter.
The odd "snow day", but it usually melts off pretty quickly. Lots of great dedicated cycle paths/routes/mtb trails + quiet rural roads easily accessible.
Yeah, I will head the same direction one day as well. Probably require a 10 year career stopover in Calgary first though..
Old 12-03-12, 12:54 PM   #17
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
I grew up in Hackensack many years ago. I would not cycle in or around that area no matter what the weather. Traffic is intense. The pace of life can be furious. And the drivers are not to be trusted (even more so than most other places I've been). I don't even like riding my Ducati there.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 01:11 PM   #18
badger1

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon View Post
Yeah, I will head the same direction one day as well. Probably require a 10 year career stopover in Calgary first though..
Purgatory?
badger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 01:32 PM   #19
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
It seems the reply to the implied question,"best area for cycling" includes or should include several categories for consideration: weather and climate, (not the same thing);
suitable roads; scenery (should be picturesque); and most important - local attitude toward cyclists. So far I love New England but it is the only place I've cycled.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 04:57 PM   #20
bruce19

Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by berner View Post
So far I love New England but it is the only place I've cycled.
You can't get the Jersey Boy out of me but OTOH you won't get this Jersey Boy out of New England any time soon.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 06:56 AM   #21
jdon

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
Purgatory?
No, I have invested heavily in four universities and those investments haven't paid off yet. Works in progress...
Old 12-05-12, 07:31 AM   #22
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I live in New Jersey northeast part of USA.(near New York)I'm aware some are from across the ocean.Now that it is cold and raw on my rides.I'm thinking where is the best climate for year round cycling.It is not New Jersey.Winters are cold, snowy and icy.Florida is too hot and buggy in the summer.Where is one to go?I'm thinking California but what about those mud slides,hill fires and earth quakes?Where can a cyclist go.
Best climate would be California for year round and you have a sizable choice of area of terrain within California. The issue of mud slides, hill files, and earthquakes is a matter of frequency (not that often) and location.

The Tour of California would show you just what variety California has to offer. Santa Barbara County is very diverse and not that crowded. Road riding up the Central Coast of California is a treat.

You have to visit these areas to see for yourself.
Garfield Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 10:39 AM   #23
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
I hate California for many reasons... of course I was born and raised here and have not lived anywhere else so I am a spoil brat about things... but the one thing I know is there is no better place to be a cyclist or mountain biker. Yes there are beautiful spaces to ride in other places but not year round! I have often taken a week off and gone no where but here. I do after all live in a vacation destination so why travel? In California my favorite places to ride are all around the Central Coast - Santa Maria; Cambria, Santa Cruz, Paso Robles, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur... nice weather and terrific scenary - what more can you ask for??? Also very bike friendly in alot of places - lots of bike trail and paths, bike lanes etc.

BTW if and when I travel its to Utah. A state that welcomes cyclist and has lots to offer. Roads are clean and quiet, great scenary, hospitality etc. And not expensive; reasonable priced accomodations. If you stay in St. George you are just hours from North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab etc.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 11:41 AM   #24
Terex

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
BTW if and when I travel its to Utah. A state that welcomes cyclist and has lots to offer. Roads are clean and quiet, great scenary, hospitality etc. And not expensive; reasonable priced accomodations. If you stay in St. George you are just hours from North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab etc.
I went backpacking for a week in Natural Bridges area of southern UT in October. Amazing scenery.
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-12, 12:01 PM   #25
PatW

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I live in Central Florida. It is hotter than the coasts but it has a better road net. It can get chilly episodically in the winter with lows dipping into the low 30's or even *gasp* the upper twenties in the winter. In the winter, you usually get rideable weather with tights, long sleeve jersey and gloves in the winter. Most people do not ride if it is below 50. In the summer, you get lows in the seventies and highs in the nineties. Yes, it is humid. But it isn't worse than Ohio during the summer.

You get rideable weather, year round. Now, given the heat and humidity, there are not any organized centuries that I know of in June, July and August.
PatW is offline   Reply With Quote