Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best cycling area

I live in New Jersey northeast part of USA.(near New York)I'm aware some are from across the ocean.Now that it is cold and raw on my rides.I'm thinking where is the best climate for year round cycling.It is not New Jersey.Winters are cold, snowy and icy.Florida is too hot and buggy in the summer.Where is one to go?I'm thinking California but what about those mud slides,hill fires and earth quakes?Where can a cyclist go.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cali's mudslides, fires, and earthquakes are just Cali - however, add 24-hour-New-York-based-news to it, and you have a disaster-laden state that you'd think is just one giant blockbuster disaster movie. Those aren't the reasons I don't live in CA, though. There are plenty of reasons folks are moving away from there other than the "nature" related stuff.

Oregon is great, except (IMHO) for politics, if you can stand to ride in the rain. Southern Oregon and anything east of the Cascades will have less wet - same in Washington. Plusses and minuses to just about everywhere - I can't think of anywhere where you don't have something to contend with, so you kinda get to pick yer poison.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, you could summer in California / Oregon / Washington and winter in Arizona... Assuming you can afford it, that would work out pretty well for maximizing good weather riding
    there is no signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hawaii is out of the question?

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying Florida is "too hot" in the summer. I was in Illinois this past summer and it was an oven up there. The humidity we have here is no more than what many other states along the Atlantic have. Currently, our temps are in the upper 70's and low 80's and I still have the A/C on in the car when I go somewhere.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arizona: November-April and Colorado: May-October

That's my plan.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I don't know why everyone keeps saying Florida is "too hot" in the summer. I was in Illinois this past summer and it was an oven up there. The humidity we have here is no more than what many other states along the Atlantic have. Currently, our temps are in the upper 70's and low 80's and I still have the A/C on in the car when I go somewhere.
    I have had a lot of great cycling in the Ocala/ Gainesville area but still find south Florida too sticky in the summer. That stickiness does run right up through the Ohio Valley into the Great Lakes area though.

I am with jppe. If you can split Arizona/ Colorado, or take the rain of the west coast, you will have pretty good conditions.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Along the Mediterranean coast in Spain or Italy. Or along the southern California coast. Both locations might see some rain and cool weather in the winter, but I could live with that.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Spain or Italy.
    I've never been there but all the cycling mags talk about it a lot and the pictures look very inviting.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in New Jersey. I ride year round. No reason not to.
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tough to beat southern California for year round riding. I can't remember the last time I missed a weekend because of weather.
    I've been here since 1956 and there have been 2 damaging earthquakes. Not trying to minimize how terrible they are, but they don't happen very often.
    As far as mudslides, these only affect a very few people in certain areas. The fires affect more people, but never the masses.
    There are other reasons not to live here, it's expensive, can be crowded, and there are ******** about, but if you want club rides, races, track, or mtb, it's all here all year.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote:

Valle Crucis NC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
    I live in New Jersey. I ride year round. No reason not to.
    Agreed. Coastal weather changes every few days, and during winter you're rarely grounded for more than 2-3 days at a time. Roads in Hunterdon county and north are some of the best for cycling in the country. And no other state has the amazing resource that njbikemap.com provides.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, I'll try to return to my place of birth when I (if I can ever!) retire: south-east coast of Vancouver Island.
    NOT Vancouver (too much damn rain!), but Victoria and environs -- much drier. Probably the Cowichan Valley ('valley of the sun'), where I was born and grew up.
    Sub-Med. microclimate; low/mid 20s (centigrade) in summer; mid/upper teens spring and fall; typically somewhere between 5 and 10 day time highs in winter.
    The odd "snow day", but it usually melts off pretty quickly. Lots of great dedicated cycle paths/routes/mtb trails + quiet rural roads easily accessible.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think St. George, UT or Sedona, AZ. Great weather year round, good local communities. Close to Major cities and airports. Good golf courses, my other four letter word distraction. (Golf, bike, camp fish, hike)
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Me, I'll try to return to my place of birth when I (if I can ever!) retire: south-east coast of Vancouver Island.
    NOT Vancouver (too much damn rain!), but Victoria and environs -- much drier. Probably the Cowichan Valley ('valley of the sun'), where I was born and grew up.
    Sub-Med. microclimate; low/mid 20s (centigrade) in summer; mid/upper teens spring and fall; typically somewhere between 5 and 10 day time highs in winter.
    The odd "snow day", but it usually melts off pretty quickly. Lots of great dedicated cycle paths/routes/mtb trails + quiet rural roads easily accessible.
    Yeah, I will head the same direction one day as well. Probably require a 10 year career stopover in Calgary first though..

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Hackensack many years ago. I would not cycle in or around that area no matter what the weather. Traffic is intense. The pace of life can be furious. And the drivers are not to be trusted (even more so than most other places I've been). I don't even like riding my Ducati there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    Yeah, I will head the same direction one day as well. Probably require a 10 year career stopover in Calgary first though..
    Purgatory?

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems the reply to the implied question,"best area for cycling" includes or should include several categories for consideration: weather and climate, (not the same thing);
    suitable roads; scenery (should be picturesque); and most important - local attitude toward cyclists. So far I love New England but it is the only place I've cycled.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    So far I love New England but it is the only place I've cycled.
    You can't get the Jersey Boy out of me but OTOH you won't get this Jersey Boy out of New England any time soon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Purgatory?
    No, I have invested heavily in four universities and those investments haven't paid off yet. Works in progress...

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    I live in New Jersey northeast part of USA.(near New York)I'm aware some are from across the ocean.Now that it is cold and raw on my rides.I'm thinking where is the best climate for year round cycling.It is not New Jersey.Winters are cold, snowy and icy.Florida is too hot and buggy in the summer.Where is one to go?I'm thinking California but what about those mud slides,hill fires and earth quakes?Where can a cyclist go.
    Best climate would be California for year round and you have a sizable choice of area of terrain within California. The issue of mud slides, hill files, and earthquakes is a matter of frequency (not that often) and location.

The Tour of California would show you just what variety California has to offer. Santa Barbara County is very diverse and not that crowded. Road riding up the Central Coast of California is a treat.

You have to visit these areas to see for yourself.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate California for many reasons... of course I was born and raised here and have not lived anywhere else so I am a spoil brat about things... but the one thing I know is there is no better place to be a cyclist or mountain biker. Yes there are beautiful spaces to ride in other places but not year round! I have often taken a week off and gone no where but here. I do after all live in a vacation destination so why travel? In California my favorite places to ride are all around the Central Coast - Santa Maria; Cambria, Santa Cruz, Paso Robles, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur... nice weather and terrific scenary - what more can you ask for??? Also very bike friendly in alot of places - lots of bike trail and paths, bike lanes etc.

BTW if and when I travel its to Utah. A state that welcomes cyclist and has lots to offer. Roads are clean and quiet, great scenary, hospitality etc. And not expensive; reasonable priced accomodations. If you stay in St. George you are just hours from North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab etc.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    BTW if and when I travel its to Utah. A state that welcomes cyclist and has lots to offer. Roads are clean and quiet, great scenary, hospitality etc. And not expensive; reasonable priced accomodations. If you stay in St. George you are just hours from North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Moab etc.
    I went backpacking for a week in Natural Bridges area of southern UT in October. Amazing scenery.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    I live in Central Florida. It is hotter than the coasts but it has a better road net. It can get chilly episodically in the winter with lows dipping into the low 30's or even *gasp* the upper twenties in the winter. In the winter, you usually get rideable weather with tights, long sleeve jersey and gloves in the winter. Most people do not ride if it is below 50. In the summer, you get lows in the seventies and highs in the nineties. Yes, it is humid. But it isn't worse than Ohio during the summer.

You get rideable weather, year round. Now, given the heat and humidity, there are not any organized centuries that I know of in June, July and August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast