Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Cymbalta FYI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cymbalta FYI

I just weened myself off Cymbalta. I was on it for 5 years. During this time I did some bike racing and I discovered that my heart rate Max was abnormally high for a person my age (58). Not only that but if I maintained over 91% of that max for over a few minutes I would feel nausious. Like I'm going to throw up now kind of sick feeling.

Since I've gotten off Cymbalta my heart rate came down to a normal level. And I can go as hard as I want, for as long as I want and I never feel sick. Ever.

So if your taking Cymbalta it does affect your performance.

Bad Bad stuff.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis121212 View Post
    I just weened myself off Cymbalta. I was on it for 5 years. During this time I did some bike racing and I discovered that my heart rate Max was abnormally high for a person my age (58). Not only that but if I maintained over 91% of that max for over a few minutes I would feel nausious. Like I'm going to throw up now kind of sick feeling.

Since I've gotten off Cymbalta my heart rate came down to a normal level. And I can go as hard as I want, for as long as I want and I never feel sick. Ever.

Bad Bad stuff.
    I believe tha is a gneralization that applies to you and may not apply to others, or at least to everyone. For some folks it may be a very important assist.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it does apply to me

Its not meant to be a blanket statement. Its just something to consider if you are taking Cymbalta. In my case it was problematic.

My Bikes
    2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How has getting off Cymbalta affected your health otherwise? You were taking it for a reason - have those symptoms come back now that you're off of the drug?

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Bad stuff.
    I sat through a drug rep presentation on that drug a few years back (it came with a free meal!). He pitched by saying it worked faster than most anti-depressants because it had a stimulant added into it -- in addition to the normal anti-depression SSRI.

"Cymbalta (duloxetine) is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs). "

Norepinephrine and epinephrine are the brain equivalents of adrenaline.

So, while I have not heard of a racing heart as a side-effect, I would not find it surprising. (But nausea IS a common side effect).

But two things:
    1) EVERY drug has "side effects". You take them when the good effects outweigh the bad side effects.

2) If you are still having difficulties with depression, talk with your physician about switching to a more normal anti-depressant without the stimulant properties. (Cymbalta is unusual in that it is both an SSRI and and SSNRI. The regular anti-depressants have side effects as well -- but hopefully you will find them easier to live with.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    2) If you are still having difficulties with depression, talk with your physician about switching to a more normal anti-depressant without the stimulant properties. (Cymbalta is unusual in that it is both an SSRI and and SSNRI. The regular anti-depressants have side effects as well -- but hopefully you will find them easier to live with.
    +1. Some drugs work for some people and not others. The OP did a good thing by posting his experiences, but this may or may not be the case for other people. And please do talk to your doctors because a lot of drugs do have side effects if you just stop taking them.

Ride (and be) safe,
    Charles
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an anxiety/OCD situation that was made worse by a woman I was dating who had ADD. Not a good match. A doctor talked me into taking cymbalta. It was probably the right thing at the time. But everything has side effects. I like controling anxiety with century rides and 20 mile hikes. Since Ive been off things are generally better. As long as I stay active

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to the OP for taking charge of his/her own health. Also for passing on the effect this drug had on the OP. So many do neither. Good info for others to use.

Thanks
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an anxiety/OCD situation that was made worse by a woman I was dating who had ADD. Not a good match. A doctor talked me into taking cymbalta. It was probably the right thing at the time. But everything has side effects. I like controling anxiety with century rides and 20 mile hikes. Since Ive been off things are generally better. As long as I stay active
    Watch it! I've learned that women are drugs with the biggest side effects...

But seriously, increasingly, we are starting to realize the mental health effects of exercise. From one of my medical journals:

"The benefits of exercise in nearly every aspect of physical health are well known, but evidence in recent years suggests a unique effect on some psychiatric disorders, prompting mental health clinicians to rethink treatment strategies and to consider the possibility of exercise not just in therapy but as therapy.

"Above and beyond the standard benefits of exercise in healthy living and general well-being, there is strong evidence demonstrating the ability of exercise to in fact treat mental illness and have significant benefits on a neurotrophic, neurobiologic basis," Douglas Noordsy, MD, told delegates attending Psych Congress 2012: US Psychiatric and Mental Health Congress.

Some of the strongest evidence is seen in depression, where psychiatric benefits from exercise have been shown in some cases to match those achieved with pharmacologic interventions and to persist to prevent remission in the long term.

The evidence in relation to anxiety, although not as strong, still suggests a benefit, and the rigors of a cardiovascular workout seem particularly suited to addressing the physiologic effects associated with anxiety, Dr. Noordsy said. "

I would like to say that exercise is cheaper than taking a pill -- but my tab at my LBS says differently!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "if I maintained over 91% of that max for over a few minutes I would feel nausious."

Who wouldn't? ;-)
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums