Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: New Wheels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Wheels

Though these wheels aren't any great shakes from the viewpoint of many of you but compared to the entry level (or close to) wheels that I spent my first 3 years on, they are just fine. At 1850 grams for the pair they aren't especially light but what they are is solid and reliable, a huge plus considering my history with wheels. Cornering at speed feels secure. I'll have to go down some more familiar hills to be sure but I'd swear I was getting 2-3 MPH faster than normal down some fairly fast (by local standards) hills the other day.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! It sounds like they are very fine wheels...

And -- I think this came to me with age -- but I put more credit into restoring or upgrading "old" than I do with buying new...

While N+1 is always nice -- anybody with a check book can do it. Upgrading tends to give me much more satisfaction.

Enjoy!
    .... Do you have any other upgrades planned?
    Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-04-12 at 05:11 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new wheels look nice, Tom, glad they got here fairly quick for you. I'll bet they ride sweet, that weight isn't to bad with the 20 front and 24 rear lacing. The bike still looks like new, you take good care of it.

We need to get together for some ride time when you get the time, if you don't mind having to stop and wait for me on the hills!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DT Swiss are very good rims. I have some hand built wheels built with DT Swiss RR465 rims DT Swiss spokes and Brass nipples and Hope Hubs. I like them better than I did My Dura Ace CF rims and Shimano Spokes and Hubs.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    The new wheels look nice, Tom, glad they got here fairly quick for you. I'll bet they ride sweet, that weight isn't to bad with the 20 front and 24 rear lacing. The bike still looks like new, you take good care of it.

We need to get together for some ride time when you get the time, if you don't mind having to stop and wait for me on the hills!

Bill
    I'm retired and got nothing but time. I'll send you a PM.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post

Bill
    Please tell us more about the hills in FL? Really?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Please tell us more about the hills in FL? Really?
    Believe it or not, you can get in a 25 mile ride with a couple of thousand feet of climbing very near where I live. There is an area called the Blackwater National Forrest (1000's of square miles) where the roads cut back and forth across river channels. Nothing by CO standards of course but it's constantly up and down 5%-9% and so little traffic that you can go for 40 minutes in between seeing motor vehicles.

Below is a Garmin track of a ride a few days ago. No epic climbs but it's anything but flat.

Shown are elevation in green and grade% in khaki.

Last edited by TomD77; 12-04-12 at 09:47 PM.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know reduced spoke count wheels are all the rage because of their reduced air turbulence, but I still prefer 32 or 36 spokes per wheel for reliability and limp-home capability.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are hills in the panhandle. Florida is not entirely flat, as we found on a recent visit.

Tom, I wouldn't sneer at DT-Swiss anything. They're a very reputable wheel component company. Weight is irrelevant compared with reliability. I expect you to get some great mileage out of them.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't waiting, and then purchasing something you "deserve" satisfying!
    Enjoy the ride.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of elevation changes on that route of yours so you may be changing the concept that Florida is FLAT.

Your "Old" set of wheels are not my favourite and am surprised that they were on a Bianchi---and a Bianchi in the right colour at that.

Certain Myths can be disproved (Like flat rides in Fl) but I am afraid that the fact that Bontrager Wheels are not the best around is a truth. These new DT's should give more reliability- a better ride and possibly a few mph on your top speed. Weight is in the ball park but the big difference will come in the quality.

Now get out and ride and wear those tyres out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Farther north on the map Denver, you missed my area by about 5-10 miles on your Google map. Find the CR196-U.S. 29 intersection and then go west about 1/2 mile and you have us zeroed in. The rollers are starting around where your map is centered, we are in the Barrineau Park and Molino communities. Tom is to the East, Santa Rosa County, around N.A.S. Whiting Field.

I would not think of comparing our rolling hills from stream cuts over the centuries to the Rockies in Colorado, but we still get a work out, as Tom's graph shows. You guys are so lucky where you are from, you get to choose from flat plains, to rolling foot hills to real mountains like I drooled over in the U.S. Pro Cycling Challenge. Some day I will make it out your way just to say I got exhausted on a real mountain climb ride. Notice I said "Hills" here, not "Mountains" as you guys know so well, I didn't want to be laughed off of here with the ROTF-LMAO smilies in every reply.

I got your P.M. Tom, we can do something I imagine!!

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I know reduced spoke count wheels are all the rage because of their reduced air turbulence, but I still prefer 32 or 36 spokes per wheel for reliability and limp-home capability.
    +1

early in my career I worked for an aluminum company and we visited one of our plants that manufactured aluminum guardrail systems. Even as aluminum guys we were surprised and asked: Is aluminum strong enough to use as guardrail? The answer was: "Neither steel nor aluminum guardrail is strong enough to stop a direct hit. The strength in either lies in how many posts there are and how close together they are".

I apply the same logic to wheels. A strong rim cannot make up for a fewer spokes.

Fewer spokes make a weaker wheel.

The question is: Is it strong ENOUGH?

Perhaps the answer is: You don't need 36 spokes -- until you do.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the FL info, and you have clearly disposed of the "FL is flat" concept. Looks like a really good workout! Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Thanks for the FL info, and you have clearly disposed of the "FL is flat" concept. Looks like a really good workout! Have fun.
    Most of Florida is flat, I'll give you that. ;-) We have some geological features that are unique to the state but we're way over on the panhandle almost to Mobile, Alabama.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    A strong rim cannot make up for a fewer spokes.

Fewer spokes make a weaker wheel.

The question is: Is it strong ENOUGH?

Perhaps the answer is: You don't need 36 spokes -- until you do.
    Th wheel manufacturers such as DT Swiss and Velocity know what they are doing in terms of the wall thickness of the aluminium extrusions they get for the wheels. That is why there is really little difference between the weight on mid-range wheels with more spoke counts and fewer -- the rim compensates for the lower number.

The guy behind the original Lotus racing team, Colin Chapman, was among the first motor racing engineers to adopt the philosophy that it only has be strong enough to last the distance.

Race wheels can be light, relatively strong, and only have to last to the finish line in the pro races. Your distances may vary...
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I own both types of wheelsets. Ambrosio 32H, Fulcrum Zero and Campy Eurus.

Both types of wheels have their pros and cons.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post

I apply the same logic to wheels. A strong rim cannot make up for a fewer
    You cannot apply the same logic. A guard rail is linear, thus it needs more support to make it "strong" than a circular wheel does. You cannot extrapolate that what works, or doesn't for a guardrail will equally work or don't work for a wheel.

I own 32H wheels and I also own reduced spoke count wheel. I am not a little itty bitty guy. I can tell you that reduced spoke count wheels are as sturdy as any other wheelset there.

If you prefer to ride 36H or 32H wheels that's your choice. Enjoy the ride and be safe!
    My current stable:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom that's a beautiful Bianchi and your wheels look great. Enjoy them both.
    My current stable: