Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raspberry Extract

Saw a clip from the medical authourity, Dr. Oz, today. He was extolling the value of raspberry extract to reduce body fat. The claim was the it is cheap, has no side effects and reduces body fat. Reduced body fat helps a person to "think and act thin" and so improve fitness and health.

What a boon if true. Take a pill and not have to worry about too much belly fat. That would allow more exercise, etc.

Lots of experts on this forum. What say you?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't put a lot of stock into what Dr. Oz says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you mix that with stoli?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it could have some real benefits as part of a weight loss program. However, I think he left out some key parts. First, you have to prepare the soil, by hand. This works best if it is quite rocky and has lots of thick-rooted grasses. Then, you have to use a bike trailer to haul in some proper soil amendments (in extreme cases of corpulence, you will need to haul off all of the rocky soil and replace it as well). Next, you need to purchase, haul (by bike, of course) and plant the raspberries. All watering is to be done by hauling pints of water a minimum of five miles; one pint per trip. When the fruit comes on, get picking.

If you like the berries, eat them. If not, go ahead and make the extract, but the weight loss should have already begun. If not add more acreage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Saw a clip from the medical authourity, Dr. Oz,

My Bikes
    surly LHT, paris sport fixie, trek 5000, fuji ss
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you burn more calories than you consume you'll reduce fat. I'm sure Dr Oz would agree.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we talking about the Wizard of Oz?

Pay no attention to the Dr behind the curtain.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just eat the razzberries? More fiber that way.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    I think it could have some real benefits as part of a weight loss program. However, I think he left out some key parts. First, you have to prepare the soil, by hand. This works best if it is quite rocky and has lots of thick-rooted grasses. Then, you have to use a bike trailer to haul in some proper soil amendments (in extreme cases of corpulence, you will need to haul off all of the rocky soil and replace it as well). Next, you need to purchase, haul (by bike, of course) and plant the raspberries. All watering is to be done by hauling pints of water a minimum of five miles; one pint per trip. When the fruit comes on, get picking.

If you like the berries, eat them. If not, go ahead and make the extract, but the weight loss should have already begun. If not add more acreage.
    But all that hard work is worth it for the number of Pies you can make. Not keen on Raspberry but Can you imagine what Raspberry Pill Pie would taste like like?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Oz thinks Genetically Modified foods are just fine.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    But all that hard work is worth it for the number of Pies you can make. Not keen on Raspberry but Can you imagine what Raspberry Pill Pie would taste like like?
    Yum, yum. I've had raspberry pie and it was delicious. But a mixed berry pie, raspberries being among the mix, is even better.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you're saying a raspberry pie is berry good, but a many-berry pie is berry berry good, right?

Unlike the last stages of a Vitamin B1 deficiency, which is berry berry serious...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    So, you're saying a raspberry pie is berry good, but a many-berry pie is berry berry good, right?

Unlike the last stages of a Vitamin B1 deficiency, which is berry berry serious...
    Spot on. Raspberry on its own is not that great but Raspberry and say Gooseberry is exceptional. Goes with other fruits as I have heard that a Strawberry and Rhubarb is pretty fine aswell. I prefer my Rhubarb on its own but adding Apple improves it no end. So Going to raid the freezer now as I know there are some Black currants in there and Gooseberries and I do believe that there are a few stalks left on the Rhubarb in the greenhouse.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post

ugh.
    there is no signature.

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had razzleberry pie recently. That was pretty good. And I was raised having fresh raspberries and cream and a touch of fine sugar each summer in Australia. Nice.

I suppose on of the things about extracts is that they ensure fruit that would go to waste actually contributes something to our diet. But I wouldn't buy it, dietary claims or not. Just give me the real stuff.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPlhb4f9P8
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    I do too, mostly. All living things have been and will continue to be genetically modified. The naturally occurring process is random whereas the human driven and controlled process isn't, which isn't to say that we know what we're doing or the full implications of what it is we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually just about all food we eat today is "genetically modified". That is what selective breeding is all about. Selective breeding of animals and plants to obtain different characteristics has been going on for centuries. That is why plants and animals we use for food today look, and probably taste, far different from their ancestors. The difference is that today's procedures speed up the process. Personally, I think some slowness is a good thing. It gives us time to think a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gather from the replies that no one has much respect for Dr. Oz?

But he is an MD! I'm surprised since he is presented as an authority other medical professionals haven't come to his defense.

So, is the situation that since it is receommended by Dr. Oz Raspberry Extract can't be good? Or, Raspberry Extract isn't what it is claimed to be no matter who recommends it?

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every medical class has 50% of it's Dr.s graduate at the bottom half. He may well have done well or not so well in med school, but I've seen people who do outstanding in school(many types of disciplines) but are terrible when it comes to application.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Raspberry extract converts fatty acids to glucose. Great stuff.

PS The profession is not a political party. We don't have to pretend that ninnies are other than what they are, unlike......aw, never mind.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
    That's because they are. I don't trust/agree with him on most things, but that's pretty accurate. Also, vaccines don't cause autism. Don't let people who wear tin foil hats make your decisions for you.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
    Saw a clip from the medical authourity, Dr. Oz, today. He was extolling the value of raspberry extract to reduce body fat... What say you?

He could be right. A lot less vanilla ice cream fits on a raspberry pill than a raspberry pie.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post

The one problem with this plan for using raspberry extract to lose weight is that, in my experience, it's only in their second year of growth after planting cuttings that the raspberry plants begin to bear much in the way of fruit. So you'll need to add "wait a year and go for some nice long bike rides to pass the time" to your plan. Unless of course, you want to skip that part of the process and go looking for wild black raspberry plants (my preference is the yellows) and, in particular, those right next to a bear den. Make lots of noise while harvesting the berries and then get ready to run.
    Punctuation is important. It's the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse"

My Bikes
    2013 Caletti, Trek 7500 fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this link for home-brew (and I do mean brew) raspberry extract: link
    I was thinking 'might be a nice water additive for rides' till I got to the part where you add the vodka .
    there is no signature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast