Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indoor Training 2012-13: The Velo Garage Crew Rides Again

With some semblance of winter closing in here in Omaha, it is time once again for indoor training in the famous Velo Garage. The crew assembled last night for session one. A couple folks have moved on and will not be with us, and there is a new rookie, Jeff, onboard.

In case you missed last year's saga, the method is this: Coach Dusty (PhD in exercise physiology) sets the night's program and everyone starts and rides together. Last night's opening session was built around 15, 10, and 5 minute intervals at 70% exertion. The intensity goes up week by week. Here are a few photos of our opening session which ran about 55 minutes:
    (Note: Right click the images to see full-size versions)

Sir Wattsalot and the Pride of Dundee

A fellowship and re-hydration hour are always held after the ride

Initial powertap results compared to last year are very favorable, but more on that later. My year-long doping program must be working.

Our next session will be Sunday morning... can't wait!
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-08-12 at 07:14 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our local club does not ride in the winter in the week so the club meet twice a week is a trainer session like this. The hall can take 20 bikes and trainers and there are always a few spare places.

Unlike you- I have enough sense to realise that this is masochism at the highest level and boring. So you wont see me buying a trainer for a while But I am lucky enough to be able to get a few rides a week when the weather is kind enough to do so.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now know how you are losing so much weight! Great idea doing these sessions as a group. That has to make it a little more bearable. Plus social hour afterwards is a great idea!!

How do you like the Kinetic trainer?
    Ride your Ride!!

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like a great way to have fun with fellow cyclists when you can't hit the roads. Last year I spent a little time on the trainer getting ready for a double century. I hated every second of it. Your set up must be so much more lively than my solo garage efforts! Good on ya.

Even though I don't love my suburban city, I do love the California Weather. We had blue skies on Nov 25 and managed to get in a metric with a ton of climbing.

Here's a photo just to taunt you.

curtis by ccorlew, on Flickr

But I'll be the jelous one when I'm doing night time rain workouts on teh trainer all alone in my boring garage.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Glad the network picked your show up for another year Donn, you look to have lost some weight there, looking good my man.

Bill
    Hmmm... Yes perhaps we could get Discovery or the History Channel interested. But then we would have to invent reasons to scream and shout at one another constantly.

Thanks for the kind words on the weight. On my doc's scales I'm officially down 14 pounds in about ten months. I will take some fashion shots soon.

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about an international SKYPE trainer session? Set your camera/mike/laptop on a stand all at the same time - or groups of folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a great Winter set-up, enjoy. Mavic seems to like the company.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I now know how you are losing so much weight! Great idea doing these sessions as a group. That has to make it a little more bearable. Plus social hour afterwards is a great idea!!

How do you like the Kinetic trainer?
    Re: KK Rock n Roll trainer

Two sessions done on it and I'm very happy so far. Having the bike move side to side a little is nice. You adjust to it quickly. It's much closer to "real" than ordinary trainers, and especially so when standing. There is no problem with it handling my 205 pounds easily and I never feel that it is in danger of tipping over. The drive mechanism is the same as on the KK Road Machine, which is to say really good.

I got my KKRR on sale for $140 off list but it is a bit pricey at full list. From a purely performance perspective I give it an all thumbs up rating. I want a KK pro flywheel to go with it now.
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-09-12 at 10:04 PM.

My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte IT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice setup. Even though we have good winter weather here in West Central Florida we still do the Tue/Thur garage sessions. Sat/Sun morning rides outside. Our Tue/Thur sessions are usually with Coach Troy, Spinervals, and are fondly known as the Garage of Pain (GOP).

Mark
    2006 Serotta Fierte IT
    2012 Jamis Coda

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Session 2: We Ride Longer Today

For session two this Sunday morning we had the same cast of characters on hand: Dusty, John, Griff, Jeff and yours truly. For some reason, Coach D decided to make the ride longer today. After extra single leg and high cadence warmups we did intervals of 15, 10, 5, 10 and 15 minutes at a slightly reduced intensity of 65%. Total ride time was 95 minutes, the longest we have ever gone.

This is the new 2013 model Billydonn with enhanced engine and aerodynamics

The ride got pretty intense near the end, as you can see.

On Sunday morning it is espresso after the ride and I picked up some cinnamon crunch bagels and honey walnut cream cheese to go with it.

Average power= 149w and 119 average HR. Normalized power= 154w. A good time was had by all. Forecast is for very cold tomorrow, but an outdoor ride may be possible Tuesday. It is good to lead the simple life.
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-09-12 at 10:43 PM.

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the perfect setup, Billydonn. Do you guys leave your trainers/bikes set up there all winter, or is it necessary to set up and tear down with each session?

I just purchased a KK Road Machine to replace my 30 year old Blackburn wind trainer. Except for the hideous color...I think I'm going to like it. I thought briefly about the KK Rock and Roll but realized it was WAY more than I need. I'm impressed with the bulletproof construction of the KK line.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in SoCal. were we can almost ride all year long...but I am still jealous of your set-up.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Looks like the perfect setup, Billydonn. Do you guys leave your trainers/bikes set up there all winter, or is it necessary to set up and tear down with each session?
    ...snip....
    Louis,
    The regulars leave bikes in the VG all winter so there is no need to tear down after each ride. Asst. Coach Megan does not allow towels and sweaty jerseys to be left to dry... go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    I live in SoCal. were we can almost ride all year long...but I am still jealous of your set-up.
    We find that these exciting sessions tend to relieve the intolerable boredom of outdoor rides. Seriously though, sometimes here in Omaha we can pretty much ride through the winter outdoors, and sometimes we can't. But in any case winter seems to be a good time for low-volume, high intensity training that is arguably easier to do on an indoor trainer anyway. It works out well.

Jeese, the workout room is finished nicer than my home is. The wood floors and wall/ceiling work is beautiful, very classy Donn. Nice pics of the '12 model too.
    Bill
    Bill,
    So far we have avoided unnecessary frills like saunas, hot tubs, disco balls and the like. Like I said, we are committed to leading a simple life here in the heartland. We have compromised to allow music though.
    50629_1357814.jpg

My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying something new this year. I have a 40-minute video from a group ride this summer, and I'm going to play it while riding the trainer. If it encourages me to ride the trainer more this winter, I may take more videos next summer.

My Bikes
    Trek 730 & Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the indoor season is upon me. Since I do my riding in the early mornings it's just too damn cold for this old fart! So to the basement I go 3 days a week and ride to Nowheresville!

Wednesday is Spinerval Tape day on the bike trainer. I have 7 old VHS tapes I bought off EBay a long time ago. I'll go through the rotation 2 times which basically gets me through 14 weeks of indoor training and hopefully by then it will be time to venture out in the spring!

Today was the Zoot Challenge. Pretty intese workout as follows:
    My own short warmup as tape starts but before the tape warmup.
    Tape Warmup: 3X:30 tempo w/:30 rest between 38/16 X2 and 48/16 gearing
    1 min soft pedal 38/16
    12X:20 Super Spin (120+ rpm) w/:10 rest between 38/16
    1 min soft pedal
    2 times....4X (1min tempo, :30 spin, :30 hard, :30 spin) 38/16 X2 48/21, 48/14, 48/12 gearing
    1 min soft pedal
    4X:30 build sprints...:10 @80%, :10@90%, :10@100% 48/14X2, 38/14, 48/12 gearing
    Cool down

This got me to 11.7 miles.Then I added time to get to 23 miles mostly at tempo in 48/16 & 48/14 gears.

Very good workout and lots of sweat on the mat!

A great day to be alive!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    This sounds like a great way to have fun with fellow cyclists when you can't hit the roads. Last year I spent a little time on the trainer getting ready for a double century. I hated every second of it. Your set up must be so much more lively than my solo garage efforts! Good on ya.

Even though I don't love my suburban city, I do love the California Weather. We had blue skies on Nov 25 and managed to get in a metric with a ton of climbing.

Here's a photo just to taunt you.

curtis by ccorlew, on Flickr

But I'll be the jelous one when I'm doing night time rain workouts on teh trainer all alone in my boring garage.
    Nice looking road Curt! We have to do a lot of repeats to get even 1k feet of climbing in a ride here. But we do have almost constant wind, which serves as "hills" to some degree.

My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Session 3: Th December 13, I'm Flirting with Competence?

It remains unseasonably warm here. Perhaps that's why one of our group, John, thought it would be a good idea to put some water in a very small pond in his yard. Unfortunately he went off to dinner with the family and forgot to turn off the hose. Result: he flooded his basement and spent the evening pumping it out instead of training with his chums. There is betting on how soon John's spouse allows him to leave home again, if ever.

So we were down to four for last night's ride: Jeff

Griff

Coach Dusty

and moi

(Tonight's featured fashions by Campagnolo and Hincapie)
    The program was for a longer warmup plus 3 ten-minute intervals at 70% effort.

I did not cover it last week, but in session one I blew away all of my previous year's power numbers quite easily, averaging 164 watts and 180 normalized. This week my Powertap continued to report good news. I averaged 170, 176, and 183 watts in each of the intervals. These are over 30 watts above last year's numbers! (Well, more like 40 really.) I am flirting with competence I think.

The fellowship hour went well despite John's absence.

Last edited by billydonn; 12-14-12 at 08:12 PM.

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    It remains unseasonably warm here. Perhaps that's why one of our group, John, thought it would be a good idea to put some water in a very small pond in his yard. Unfortunately he went off to dinner with the family and forgot to turn off the hose. Result: he flooded his basement and spent the evening pumping it out instead of training with his chums. There is betting on how soon John's spouse allows him to leave home again, if ever.
    Hmmm...seems to me that John has set his wife up with an indoor swimming facility for the winter. What's the problem? I never could figure out women....
    Last edited by Louis; 12-14-12 at 09:11 PM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does the aero position make you go faster on a trainer?

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are too cool. And I love that room!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    It would for all those folks who claim, "I went 3,000 miles on my trainer this year."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don I'm worried that your getting too skinny. Send me your address and I'll send you some pie.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I know, I know. I have told Jeff that it will only help if you have a fan blowing from in front of you.

Billydonn, you seem to have another arm, shoulder and half a head growing from your right side shoulder and head. those PEDS are having some really strange side effects on you, might want to see Dr. Ferrari about the dosage levels and call Lance for new stuff.
    Bill
    That's the price of allowing impulsive youth, aged 34, to participate. But it is his garage so we really have to put up with him. At some point I'm going to have to mention the testosterone factor. It's been almost a year now and I'm pretty sure having a normal level of blood testosterone has had a considerable impact. They are going to have to pry my Androgel from my cold, dead hands!

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Don I'm worried that your getting too skinny. Send me your address and I'll send you some pie.
    Joe,
    Just send a check for about $500. Pie is pretty pricey here! I do think I've made a little progress since this photo was taken back in 2009.
    IMG_6569bb.jpg

My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Joe,
    Just send a check for about $500. Pie is pretty pricey here! I do think I've made a little progress since this photo was taken back in 2009.
    IMG_6569bb.jpg
    That's a picture at the motel where we stayed for the first annual BFN annual ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    That's a picture at the motel where we stayed for the first annual BFN annual ride.
    Correct. I was back at the Caravan Inn for one night recently and drove up to the Woody Creek Tavern to have dinner and buy one of their bike jerseys. I will model the stylish WCT jersey in an indoor ride soon.

I would go back there for a ride if the timing was ever right.

My Cycling Blogspot

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast