Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down-Sizing New Yorkers

New York's mayor Bloomberg -- the same one who banned giant size soft drinks -- has another plan to down-size New Yorkers:

Bike-Share was delayed through the summer and then by Hurricane Sandy but is again on track...
    ... Maybe this is the cure for the Nation's rising health care costs?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-s-damage.html
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wants to make New Yorkers smaller? Export the big ones and import some small ones?

I used a share-bike (Vel-Lib?) in France a few years ago - it was nice to have that option!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your title is a bit mis-guided since New Yorkers typically walk or take mass transit to most destinations. I also doubt if these programs would work out in areas like West Virginia where it could make the most impact on rising health care cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The soda thing was this.In the poor areas of New york which includes the 5 boroughs which is over 8 million.The small neighborhood stores, ( bodegas) sell giant size fountain soda for less than bottle water.So now you know the rest of the story!I think he made the right call just like banning smoking from bars and restaurants.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloomberg is the guy who traveled to an international conference on global warming in Europe in his own private plane. He's a jerk but a very rich jerk.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is so refreshing to see someone in government that knows how to put Soft drinks and Bike sharing on top of the list over such small things like health and heating. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...ndy/?mobile=nc

As far as soft drinks go all it does is keep the poor from buying more than 12 ounces. The working construction worker will just buy another soft drink after they finish the first one. Think of how we do it at home, get a 12 or 24 pack and put it in the fridge and get one when you want one. Unless they put a limit on the number someone buys. As far as a large soda costing more than a bottle of water let me think, water in most places is free and even from a purification machine it cost 25 cents a gallon so the water bottles must cost a lot more than a soda cup. That and the fact you can get water from a soda despencer.

Now if they could put as much effort at getting heat and housing to displaced poor as they did to sodas and bicycles maybe New York could get back on their feet.
    Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-11-12 at 01:20 PM.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
    The soda thing was this.In the poor areas of New york which includes the 5 boroughs which is over 8 million.The small neighborhood stores, ( bodegas) sell giant size fountain soda for less than bottle water.So now you know the rest of the story!I think he made the right call just like banning smoking from bars and restaurants.
    At the Red Cross chapter where I volunteer, the vending machine sells Coke & Pepsi for $.75 but a bottle of water costs $1.25

It just seems SO wrong.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ibtl
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    ibtl
    Nope - I predict P&R

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
    At the Red Cross chapter where I volunteer, the vending machine sells Coke & Pepsi for $.75 but a bottle of water costs $1.25

It just seems SO wrong.
    Change that to 's and it is the same price over here. Even worse in pubs where soft drinks-Soda's and bottled water- cost more than a pint does.

But Bike scheme has been running in London and seems to be successful. Plenty of bikes- plenty of docking stations and not many bikes go "walkies".
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whether you agree with the mayor or not, I think it's good to have health and weight issues discussed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is the water at the drinking fountain next to the soda machine?

Bloomberg is an elitist authoritarianist. He would be happy to exercise control over everything you do.