Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-09-12, 07:24 AM   #1
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Down-Sizing New Yorkers

New York's mayor Bloomberg -- the same one who banned giant size soft drinks -- has another plan to down-size New Yorkers:

Bike-Share was delayed through the summer and then by Hurricane Sandy but is again on track...
... Maybe this is the cure for the Nation's rising health care costs?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...-s-damage.html
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 07:56 AM   #2
Road Fan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
He wants to make New Yorkers smaller? Export the big ones and import some small ones?

I used a share-bike (Vel-Lib?) in France a few years ago - it was nice to have that option!
Road Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 08:16 AM   #3
ratdog

Bikes:
I think your title is a bit mis-guided since New Yorkers typically walk or take mass transit to most destinations. I also doubt if these programs would work out in areas like West Virginia where it could make the most impact on rising health care cost.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 02:49 PM   #4
Shamrock

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The soda thing was this.In the poor areas of New york which includes the 5 boroughs which is over 8 million.The small neighborhood stores, ( bodegas) sell giant size fountain soda for less than bottle water.So now you know the rest of the story!I think he made the right call just like banning smoking from bars and restaurants.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 11:54 AM   #5
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Bloomberg is the guy who traveled to an international conference on global warming in Europe in his own private plane. He's a jerk but a very rich jerk.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 01:10 PM   #6
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
It is so refreshing to see someone in government that knows how to put Soft drinks and Bike sharing on top of the list over such small things like health and heating. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012...ndy/?mobile=nc

As far as soft drinks go all it does is keep the poor from buying more than 12 ounces. The working construction worker will just buy another soft drink after they finish the first one. Think of how we do it at home, get a 12 or 24 pack and put it in the fridge and get one when you want one. Unless they put a limit on the number someone buys. As far as a large soda costing more than a bottle of water let me think, water in most places is free and even from a purification machine it cost 25 cents a gallon so the water bottles must cost a lot more than a soda cup. That and the fact you can get water from a soda despencer.

Now if they could put as much effort at getting heat and housing to displaced poor as they did to sodas and bicycles maybe New York could get back on their feet.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-11-12 at 01:20 PM.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 08:55 PM   #7
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
The soda thing was this.In the poor areas of New york which includes the 5 boroughs which is over 8 million.The small neighborhood stores, ( bodegas) sell giant size fountain soda for less than bottle water.So now you know the rest of the story!I think he made the right call just like banning smoking from bars and restaurants.
At the Red Cross chapter where I volunteer, the vending machine sells Coke & Pepsi for $.75 but a bottle of water costs $1.25

It just seems SO wrong.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 09:01 PM   #8
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
ibtl
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 09:41 PM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
ibtl
Nope - I predict P&R
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 10:27 AM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac View Post
At the Red Cross chapter where I volunteer, the vending machine sells Coke & Pepsi for $.75 but a bottle of water costs $1.25

It just seems SO wrong.
Change that to 's and it is the same price over here. Even worse in pubs where soft drinks-Soda's and bottled water- cost more than a pint does.

But Bike scheme has been running in London and seems to be successful. Plenty of bikes- plenty of docking stations and not many bikes go "walkies".

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 10:43 AM   #11
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
Whether you agree with the mayor or not, I think it's good to have health and weight issues discussed.
jmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 10:56 AM   #12
Looigi

Bikes:
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How much is the water at the drinking fountain next to the soda machine?

Bloomberg is an elitist authoritarianist. He would be happy to exercise control over everything you do.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote