It's as easy as riding a dannwilliams's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '03 Iron Horse Intrepid, '06 Surly Long Haul Trucker, '89 GT Timberline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting on the winter tires

Finally received our first significant snow, 3" on the ground and still snowing. I had the road bike out for a last ride Thursday, then took it in for a "spring" tune-up. It is now hanging in the garage, waiting for spring. I have an old mountain bike I use for riding around town, last year I put studded tires on it for the winter. Last year we had very little snow and I had the road bike out in Feb.

So today I will be installing those studded tires and I hope this year is more conducive for them!
    "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get enough snow or Ice over here for studded tyres so we just take out block applications for Club Tombay on the MTB's

Have to admit that the MTB only gets a run when the roads are not conducive to slick tyres on the road bikes but it got checked over last week in preparation for the fun it is going to have throwing me in the drifts.

How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had a spell of really cold weather here so studs are mandatory at least for those with bikeskills like me. I have now three bikes set up with spiked tires, my CX with Schwalbe Marathon winters, a dumpsterfind Mtb with Nokian Freddies lite and a new to me Cube FS with Schwalbe ISP 2.1. Better safe than sorry.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a set of studded tires on a extra set of wheels for my winter bike. I'm hoping that having spent the time and money to have them will provide a mild winter again this year.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-09-12 at 05:23 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't change tires for the winter, so that part is easy. If I see ice I'm quite comfortable riding across it without studs. If I don't see it because it's covered with snow, once in a while it will get me. I do thump into the pavement once or twice a winter, usually at low speeds under difficult conditions. Probably keeps things flexible and I don't mind at all. Compared to the hassle and expense of studded tires, I'm happy doing that.
    mainlytext.com/bike.html Bicycling in winter, the entertainment version

My Bikes
    2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago I set up an old MTB with Kenda Klondike 2.1" studded tires - I enjoyed it, but is was so heavy and slow. This year I set up a steel touring frame with 32 mm Nokian A10s, hoping it would be a little less like a truck, but it it is still very heavy. With the arrival of our first real snow, I guess I'll find out if I've done it right or not.

I'm sad to see the road season end - we had a very great autumn riding this year. I'm going to try to ride as much as I can this winter, but I can't ride in daylight during the week and I'm not sure if I'll be able to face the combination of cold AND dark (and icy/snowy)....

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good xtranormal video
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting