Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-09-12, 09:24 PM   #1
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
Thread Starter
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,304
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Try This for your 70th Birthday.....

http://video.cheknews.ca/services/pl...=2017435404001
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 09:35 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Darn - too late!!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 09:39 PM   #3
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like his closing thought:

"They can't bury you till you stop moving..."
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-12, 09:52 PM   #4
Beverly
Senior Member ??
 
Beverly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Englewood,Ohio
Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Posts: 5,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! I'm just hoping to ride 70 miles on my 70th!
__________________
=============================================================

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 06:12 AM   #5
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
What impresses me is his form on the bike. That guy can fly.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:00 AM   #6
Dave Ferris
Dave Ferris
 
Dave Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Glendale, Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ride on !...literally.

He has an older Litespeed like me. So much for thinking I *need* a new bike.

Wow, all the Victoria marathons. Very impressive !

Inspirational, thanks for posting.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 12-10-12 at 10:04 AM.
Dave Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:12 AM   #7
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Wow that's awesome! And considering 70 miles is nothing for you, 10wheels, why don't you try the 70 hours? I bet you can do it. Heck, we'll even give you a few days off of moderating just so you can complete it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:17 AM   #8
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ouch. I don't find it as amazing that he was able to as much as I'm amazed that he wanted to. Six to eight hours a day is more than enough time in the saddle for me. I can't think of a single thing I'd want to do for 70 hrs straight.
Looigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:23 AM   #9
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
Ouch. I don't find it as amazing that he was able to as much as I'm amazed that he wanted to. Six to eight hours a day is more than enough time in the saddle for me. I can't think of a single thing I'd want to do for 70 hrs straight.
I think it is great that he is fit at 70. I think it is great that I am pretty fit at 73. I think one can go to extremes that really prove nothing except, perhaps, publicity for one's self. Fitness in moderation (or moderation in fitness?) is the key, IMHO. I have no need for a fistful of medals. I measure my success in my family and children.

Heresy? To some, yes.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-12 at 10:27 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:39 AM   #10
AzTallRider 
I need speed
 
AzTallRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Posts: 5,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I think it is great that he is fit at 70. I think it is great that I am pretty fit at 73. I think one can go to extremes that really prove nothing except, perhaps, publicity for one's self. Fitness in moderation (or moderation in fitness?) is the key, IMHO. I have no need for a fistful of medals. I measure my success in my family and children.

Heresy? To some, yes.
I think your statement is every bit as self-aggrandizing as anything in that video, Dnvr. There is nothing saying his athletic focus has hampered his relationships with his family, nor his support of them. Plus, there is a lot to support the belief that frequent strenuous exercise is the key to staying healthy into your later years, which makes a person more able to maintain those relationships and provide that support. Read "Younger Next Year" if you want the science behind it. There is no need to belittle his achievements, classify them as self-promoting, or consider them inferior to yours, just because you choose a different path to follow.
__________________
"If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."
AzTallRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:43 AM   #11
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
Thread Starter
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,304
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Wow that's awesome! And considering 70 miles is nothing for you, 10wheels, why don't you try the 70 hours? I bet you can do it. Heck, we'll even give you a few days off of moderating just so you can complete it!
To Late, already 70..Dang I missed it.

Denver is going for the 74 th. 74 Pull Ups, then 74 hours on the bike, finish with 74 pool laps.
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:48 AM   #12
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
I think your statement is every bit as self-aggrandizing as anything in that video, Dnvr. There is nothing saying his athletic focus has hampered his relationships with his family, nor his support of them. Plus, there is a lot to support the belief that frequent strenuous exercise is the key to staying healthy into your later years, which makes a person more able to maintain those relationships and provide that support. Read "Younger Next Year" if you want the science behind it. There is no need to belittle his achievements, classify them as self-promoting, or consider them inferior to yours, just because you choose a different path to follow.
As I said, heresy to some.

Somehow I failed to see where I said inferior - different path - yes. Strenuous - well I think I do a pretty strenuous routine - weights/resistance, flexibility, endurance, nutrition. Likely at the top 5% of folks 73+.

I still have no need for a handful of medals. Some do, and more power to them.

And I still measure my success in my family and children. I never said that he didn't, as I recall.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-12 at 11:16 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 11:02 AM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
To Late, already 70..Dang I missed it.

Denver is going for the 74 th. 74 Pull Ups, then 74 hours on the bike, finish with 74 pool laps.
Well, I have the 73 pushups in a row. I think I can make 74 for my 74th birthday. Shall I call the TV stations and have them video it?

I wish I could get to 74 laps in the pool. But, I think that a mile would be great. I am not anywhere near that, but I didn't even take a swimming lesson until I was 68-69 or so. I could swim before, but not correctly, and never did laps.

74 hours on the bike
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 11:25 AM   #14
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Dnvr, I think rather than call a TV station I bet if you put it on youtube and link all of us here to it, you'll get more hits. It would go viral and THEN the TV stations will pick up on it. That 5 mins of fame would last a lot longer!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 11:31 AM   #15
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
Dnvr, I think rather than call a TV station I bet if you put it on youtube and link all of us here to it, you'll get more hits. It would go viral and THEN the TV stations will pick up on it. That 5 mins of fame would last a lot longer!
But, I don't want 5 minutes of fame!!

I am real happy with my accomplishments in the legislature for individuals with disabilities, with how I facilitated my son with full paralysis at age 21 to graduate from Stanford Law School and have a thriving, nationally-known law practice, the program I started and ran for 17 individuals with profound disabilities and behavioral challenges, my work nationally to try and end the waiting lists for hundreds of thousands of individuals with disabilities.

I got this email yesterday:

I know it is hard for you to get out but I hope you can find a way to come to our memorial awards Friday night. 12/14 from 4-6 pm at the MS society at 900 south broadway. You have been chosen to receive the Brady Goguen Memorial Award for family caregivers. You were nominated by several people for your work with PADCO and dedication to your own family and your steadfast advocacy on behalf of families. I know Robin and Bruce are as honored as I am to present this to you. I apologize for the short notice, let me know if you need anything from CCDC to be able to participate and I will look forward to seeing you Friday.


Those are my rewards in life. The bicycling/exercise is my fun time.

And, there won't be any YouTubes or videos. Just good friends.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 12:21 PM   #16
Dave Ferris
Dave Ferris
 
Dave Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Glendale, Ca.
Bikes:
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heck considering I've never done more then 40 miles on a bike, I would have settled for 70 miles over 70 hours. Or he could've considered running 70 miles total for the week of his 70th. I can't fathom 70 hours on a bike.

Regarding the medals. Everyone completing a marathon (and most times a half-marathon) receives a "finisher's medal". I've finished 23 marathons and maybe close to 20 halves since 1988. All the medals and plaques are in a box up in the attic.

I do have some pics of me up around the house. My running in the 100th Boston Marathon in '96 with 35,000 other of my closest friends..

I know a lotta people that are self-promoting. Hey it's at the core of the music biz...lol This guy, though I don't know him, seems humble enough and grateful to be still "doing it".
Dave Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 12:28 PM   #17
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I got this email yesterday:

I know it is hard for you to get out but I hope you can find a way to come to our memorial awards Friday night. 12/14 from 4-6 pm at the MS society at 900 south broadway. You have been chosen to receive the Brady Goguen Memorial Award for family caregivers. You were nominated by several people for your work with PADCO and dedication to your own family and your steadfast advocacy on behalf of families. I know Robin and Bruce are as honored as I am to present this to you. I apologize for the short notice, let me know if you need anything from CCDC to be able to participate and I will look forward to seeing you Friday.
Congratulations on this award, Denver, even though you don't seek any publicity or pats on the back it is quite an accomplishment to be thought of so well by those that are involved with MS everyday. You do deserve to be congratulated here, regardless. I am proud to say you are a cyber friend, at least I hope I am.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 12:30 PM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Congratulations on this award, Denver, even though you don't seek any publicity or pats on the back it is quite an accomplishment to be thought of so well by those that are involved with MS everyday. You do deserve to be congratulated here, regardless. I am proud to say you are a cyber friend, at least I hope I am.

Bill
Thanks.

Actually, it is not an MS function, but is being held there because they have a large room!! The function is a part of the Colorado Cross Disability Coalition.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-10-12 at 12:40 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 12:33 PM   #19
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My apologies, it is still quite an accomplishment to me. That organization means a lot to me, too. and I identify with it very well.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 01:55 PM   #20
billydonn
Council of the Elders
 
billydonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Posts: 3,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wouldn't you have to stay awake to ride 70 hours? No thanks, I need my sleep. Amazing though and he's a strong looking rider!
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 02:50 PM   #21
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog
 
lhbernhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, Ken Bonner typifies the Pacific NW hard man randonneur. He consistently wins the BC Randonneurs "Iron Butt" award for most distance ridden in sanctioned brevets and Ultramarathon events each year. And he is not slow, either. He has shown he can climb faster than I can (when I'm on the fixed gear) after the first 300 km of a 600 km brevet, and he's 8 years older than I am. He's probably ridden most, if not all, of the timed 1200 km brevets in North America with plenty of time to spare. And he doesn't suck wheels to finish those distances, either. In fact, he doesn't like riding in groups, preferring to cruise along on his own, so you don't want to get on his wheel; at least, that's his reputation.

And for sure he doesn't go around seeking publicity! He's been around for years, but he's certainly not a household name in BC; in fact, this is the first time I've seen a local TV station do a feature on him.

We sort of ride at opposite ends of the long-distance spectrum. He comes from an endurance (marathon running) background, I come from track racing. He does as many of the long rides as he can; I do the absolute minimum possible to qualify for the few long rides I want to do. He rides by himself; I suck wheels whenever I can (my racing background - I was a trackie and a road sprinter!).

Still, inspired by fellows like Ken, I've got fixed gear records for Furnace Creek 508 and Hoodoo 500 in my sights for the year I turn 70! I'm sure more possibilities will open up once I reach retirement. Ken has made great use of his retirement time, and he shows what cycling does to preserve one's appearance and abilities. He certainly does not look like he's 70, a great role model to follow.

Luis
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-12, 10:34 PM   #22
B. Carfree
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 6,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
That was a fun video. Maybe I will still remember it when I finally reach seventy, but there are still many years between that milestone and me. Heck, I still have many years before I see sixty. He reminds me of a long-distance, younger version of old Foxy Grandpa from Davis, CA. Foxy inspired many a young cyclist with his love of riding and the joy he showed in always riding as hard as he could.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 01:15 AM   #23
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,654
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've met and ridden (albeit briefly) with Ken Bonner. He is one of nature's true gentlemen, ready to provide encouragement and to pass on ideas to others with a large degree of humility and graciousness.

He has achieved over a long period things that leave many of us in awe, and with huge respect.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 06:47 AM   #24
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Congratulations on this award, Denver, even though you don't seek any publicity or pats on the back it is quite an accomplishment to be thought of so well by those that are involved with MS everyday. You do deserve to be congratulated here, regardless. I am proud to say you are a cyber friend, at least I hope I am.

Bill
+1

This is what it's all about.
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-12, 06:58 AM   #25
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
Wouldn't you have to stay awake to ride 70 hours? No thanks, I need my sleep. Amazing though and he's a strong looking rider!
Isn't that one of the ways that we "interrogated" prisoners? Sleep Deprivation?

No, 70 hours without sleep is not good, not healthy and not safe -- especially if you are balancing on two wheels at 20mph while you're doing it.

BTW: medical science is slowly coming to the realization that sleep is far more than just 'resting the tired brain and body'. It is the time when the brain and body reset and rebalance many of the chemicals that it requires to function. And a chronic lack of sleep is related to a multitude of physical and mental illnesses. Sleep is as necessary for a healthy life as is food. Eliminate either of those for long enough and we sicken and die.

But, as foolish as 70 hours in the saddle is: it is still an accomplishment for anybody at any age. I know I could not do it.

I congratulate him on his accomplishment
and I shake my head at his foolishness
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 PM.