Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Our next bike?

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our next bike?

Audi e-bike. Looks pretty nice, but not much for exercise....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zpU7StU3Q
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The video looks fun, although I don't get wearing a helmet but not fastening the chin strap.

E-bikes account for something like 20% of the northern European bike market now. Check your local laws, but I believe you'll find the super powerful ones like the one you linked to do not meet the legal definition of an electric assisted bicycle - Europe recently changed their laws on this as well, so I expect these machines to disappear from the market. In the meantime, the rider might make the unpleasant discovery that they are riding a not-street-legal, unregistered and uninsured motorcycle without the proper operator's license.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An E-bike that includes regenerative braking and re-charging on downhill chutes would be OK with me. I don't want an assisted bike that craps out after 30 miles and I'm left dragging all that extra weight for the next 60 miles. I'd embrace something that I could actively re-charge by choosing to pedal. That doesn't seem like laziness or cheating to me.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Wilier Imperial - Red groupo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great marketing: the dude chugging a Red Bull and the edgy repetitive hypnotic music. At 43 lbs and who knows the $$$ I wonder why this is better than the pure pleasure of self sufficient mobility. Sorry for the rant but seems more like an extension of the MTV mentality. Too hip for me and my old school thinking.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my mind, e-assist bikes are what mopeds started out wanting to be, before they morphed into full motor scooters. And maybe they're okay for around town. That's not my kind of riding, though.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes ride with some guys with electric assist bikes... They use the electric assist on hills and on sections where it is necessary to go fast enough to keep up with traffic... The result is that they can ride longer and further than I can...

The other thing they use it for is to tease the hot-shot youngsters on their CF road bikes... They draft behind them going up a hill and maintain a casual conversation while the hot shot youngster is huffing, puffing, and sweating they're way up the hill.... (It's not obvious that their bikes have an electric assist). That may be a little cruel -- but they seem to enjoy it!

But I guess there is fine line between an electric assist and a fully powered electric motorcycle. When does it switch over from the motor aiding the pedaling and the pedaling aiding the electric motor?
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad