Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's no fun, he fell right over! ;)

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey. I know where you got that quote.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only replying because an ad kept appearing right over top of the video and I couldn't see it. So this was the easiest way to copy it!

Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That you dawg? I can't ride offroad clipped in..

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, he was going pretty strong for a while. But the dismount looked a little sloppy.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    That you dawg? I can't ride offroad clipped in..
    Yeah, that's me. Funny, I wouldn't ride offroad without clipless pedals. Really bad things can happen if your feet come off the pedals unexpectedly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So people here remember Firesign?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you remember, you weren't really there.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you go off to the left? there must be an obsticle on the trail that I can't see in the video cause I'm trying to figure out why the veer to the left. Before that, it looked like a fast ride on a really nice trail (not too many roots).
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a great shot from the cockpit; but can you do it again for us with some cameras running trail-side as well? We need to see this from all angles.

But seriously...glad you and the bike are okay.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Oh he's no fun; he fell right over

Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Hey. I know where you got that quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    So people here remember Firesign?

Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Smith: “...No, no. That's all very interesting, but the sun is going down.”

Bill: “No, no you're all confused...the horizon is moving up.”

One of the ”pack of cards”: ”I know—let's stand him on his head...See, now it's morning!"

Another of the ”pack of cards”: “Oh he's no fun; he fell right over.”
    Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-11-12 at 10:15 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    Why did you go off to the left? there must be an obsticle on the trail that I can't see in the video cause I'm trying to figure out why the veer to the left. Before that, it looked like a fast ride on a really nice trail (not too many roots).
    I guess the extreme grade of the short hill I was on does not show well in the video. You can gather it from the trouble I had starting to push the bike and by the tiny steps I made while pushing it up to the tree. I started up the hill and quickly realized I didn't have enough momentum or power to make it up the wall, so I veered left and stopped to dismount and walk. But as I stopped, the front wheel came up and the bike flipped backwards taking me with it.
    This new section of trail is pretty smooth, but other parts have their share of roots and rocks and other fun stuff. This was the only ridiculously steep climb on the trail. I'm not really sure if there is a way to get up it on the bike. {edit** this is, of course, nonsense. There is always a way and I'm sure it has been done.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 12-12-12 at 07:05 AM.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing in this video that convinces me that I really need to take up mtn biking.
    Glad you and the bike were not harmed.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    There is nothing in this video that convinces me that I really need to take up mtn biking.
    Glad you and the bike were not harmed.
    If that was the intent, I would probably show you the other hour and a half of fun riding and not falling, but it would not be as funny.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that was the intent, I would probably show you the other hour and a half of fun riding and not falling, but it would not be as funny.
    No offense meant... intent understood.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a few minutes earlier when I came down the hill that I fell while trying to climb later.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relooked and wondering about "Tombay". Looks a typical one but you said the bike flipped rearwards.

So were you clipped in and hit the ground still clipped in-Or did you disentangle the feet from the pedals before hitting the ground?

If you can blame it on the pedals- or even contribute it in part to the pedals- Then Get the application in now. If you claim it will be the first application that is verifiable by Video.

And can believe how steep that slope was. Could see that by how rapidly the bike slowed down.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the video doesn't show all but that hill looks very rideable. Centre of gravity is everything on steep climbs and being seated, you were positioned well for the result you achieved. Next time, get in the right gear, at the beginning of the climb, stand up and get up over your bars. Good luck! Nice videos btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BD, I have a serious question. I was surprised to see a bridge. Granted, I don't do any off road riding these days and haven't in over 20 years, but I thought part of the fun/challenge was to traverse whatever terrain one came upon. This has changed? BTW, nice video and I really appreciate it when one can show those oops moments.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jdon View Post
    I know the video doesn't show all but that hill looks very rideable. Centre of gravity is everything on steep climbs and being seated, you were positioned well for the result you achieved. Next time, get in the right gear, at the beginning of the climb, stand up and get up over your bars. Good luck! Nice videos btw.
    While the video does not at all reveal the steepness of that rise, you are correct that this was not a serious attempt to climb it. I don't know about "very rideable", but I have no doubt that there is a way to climb it and that it has been climbed. Having just come down it and being a little tired at the time, I had no intention of putting in the effort it would take to ride to the top. I was only planning to go as far as my momentum would take me, dismount and push the bike up. I wasn't expecting the front wheel to come off the ground as I stopped.

Tombay? Maybe. Not a typical one. I was still clipped in as I flipped, but I'm not sure that was a big factor in what happened.

Here is a better representation of the fun part of riding the trail:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While the video does not at all reveal the steepness of that rise, you are correct that this was not a serious attempt to climb it. I don't know about "very rideable", but I have no doubt that there is a way to climb it and that it has been climbed. Having just come down it and being a little tired at the time, I had no intention of putting in the effort it would take to ride to the top. I was only planning to go as far as my momentum would take me, dismount and push the bike up. I wasn't expecting the front wheel to come off the ground as I stopped.

Tombay? Maybe. Not a typical one. I was still clipped in as I flipped, but I'm not sure that was a big factor in what happened.

Here is a better representation of the fun part of riding the trail:

That's a really nice flowy trail. Looks like fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    How are you ever going to live in the real world if you can't get along with people who don't believe what your do?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post

BD, I have a serious question. I was surprised to see a bridge. Granted, I don't do any off road riding these days and haven't in over 20 years, but I thought part of the fun/challenge was to traverse whatever terrain one came upon. This has changed? BTW, nice video and I really appreciate it when one can show those oops moments.
    What is fun/challenging and what is sustainable aren't always the same. This is a new connecting trail between a very popular MTB trail system (Dauset Trails) and a popular State Park (Indian Springs). The bridge crosses a swampy area near a lake which would probably quickly become a big mess if bikes were riding it when it was wet. I have my doubts about the sustainability of that steep place where I fell, but time will tell.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is fun/challenging and what is sustainable aren't always the same. This is a new connecting trail between a very popular MTB trail system (Dauset Trails) and a popular State Park (Indian Springs). The bridge crosses a swampy area near a lake which would probably quickly become a big mess if bikes were riding it when it was wet. I have my doubts about the sustainability of that steep place where I fell, but time will tell.
    Thanks, got it.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know you're over 50 when you recognize a Firesign Theater quote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I see that video...it looks like your front wheel is slightly tacoed as you are straightening the bike and pushing uphill. I'm guessing it's merely camera angle/optics etc. So I called in the expert (my wife) to have a look. She sees the same thing. Of course, she's just as blind as I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast