Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

winter riding

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

winter riding

Old 12-13-12, 01:50 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
winter riding

I live in Michigan, am about to turn 60 and I just love riding my bike in the winter.
Makes me feel young and tough lol.

I rode today, sun was out and it was about 36f , I ride a Cruiser 5 about 5 times a week 16 to 25 miles at a time. Today I did 25.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cruiser 001.jpg (83.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-13-12, 02:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The sun makes a difference to how the ride goes and above freezing would be a blessing for me right now. Still tomorrow it warms up to around 45F but no sun due to the clouds and the rain they are about to drop. Couple that with a 20mph wind and I won't be riding for a little while yet.

Must be the age factor creeping up on me as only a few years ago I would have been out on the bike doing something. That's what changing over to road riding has done for me.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-15-12, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is more rare, but even in winter below freezing there are days when I think "What a beautiful day for a bike ride.
Old 12-16-12, 07:02 AM

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in SW Ohio near Dayton. Weather is very changeable here. It can be in the low 20s (f) one day and like today it is supposed to reach the mid 50s. So far we have had many sunny days, which make riding much more pleasurable.
Old 12-17-12, 08:33 AM

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I ride all yr long. Cold Winter riding is not much different than Hot Summer. Less miles and slower pace. Changing seasons keeps it interesting.
Old 12-17-12, 09:08 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My relationship with winter riding is a bit different. As some of my friends might suggest, I rage against the winter. I refuse to let it dominate my life. So, for me it's a personal battle. Winter will NOT keep off my bike. (Of course the proper clothing and studded tires help a great deal.)
Old 12-17-12, 11:19 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frigid temps alone (no snow or ice) is just not a good enough of a reason for me not to ride. It's a great sense of accomplishment to conquer cold temps on the bike. I just don't have a good reason not to do it, so I do. It also goes a long way to maintain my membership in the "flat stomach club."
Old 12-17-12, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
too cold to ride today. i'll be spinning indoors. maybe when it warms up and gets close to 0F...
Old 12-17-12, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by digibud
too cold to ride today. i'll be spinning indoors. maybe when it warms up and gets close to 0F...
Oh...don't be a wuss...its' only -46
Old 12-17-12, 05:28 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hey! you're right!

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Oh...don't be a wuss...its' only -46
I hadn't realized it warmed up! It was -49F earlier so maybe I'll go out for a ride. NOT!
Old 12-17-12, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
--46ºF or ºC!?! At either, ºC being the colder, I'd turn into a mikecicle at those temps!!!

The coldest I've ridden so far was last year at 22ºF with a 12ºF wind chill.
Old 12-17-12, 06:24 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I'm so glad I live In Florida XD
Old 12-17-12, 07:12 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
and the current temp is...

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
--46ºF or ºC!?! At either, ºC being the colder, I'd turn into a mikecicle at those temps!!!

The coldest I've ridden so far was last year at 22ºF with a 12ºF wind chill.
it's currently -40F on the button at the house. the other day walking out to the eskimo steam bath about 100feet from the house I just had some light socks and flip-flops on with no hat or gloves and a Tshirt. By the time I'd walked that 100feet I was quite happy I didn't have to go any further. Pretty darned chilly. I've camped out without a tent in these temps before but I have to say, being out and about at -40F is really a lot of work and a constant challenge even for small things. Building a fire the other day, I gathered the wood while wearing warm mitts but then to get the kindling setup and the birch bark prepped to light required me to remove the warm mitts and work in light gloves. As my hands started to get painfully cold I knew I had to get a match lit soon or I'd have to stop and get my hands warmed. I rested a hand on the stove for a few seconds without thinking and that was painful. Got the birch bark lit OK and thankfully the kindling was setup right and the fire took the first time. Got my gloves back on and returned later for a seriously hot steam (we call it that but it's more like what most people would call a sauna). Personally I don't ride at -40F. I'm game to about -10F and I'll go out if there is a reason at -20F. Beyond that I have to say it's just not too fun for this 60yr old wimp.
Old 12-17-12, 07:43 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,794 Posts
well, I don't have to deal with the super-cold that some of you are talking about, Merely the cold. It's about 22 °F just now, and I'm slowly preparing to go out for my evening ride. I kind of drag my feet, avoiding the bracing feeling of the start of the ride, but I'll be very happy once I'm riding.
Old 12-17-12, 07:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by osco53
I'm so glad I live In Florida XD

Actually, having lived both places, both have their challenges. I've lived "off the grid" for extended periods in -30F and colder. It is very manageable and once you get your head around the temperature actually enjoyable. Without air conditioning the same can't be said about high 90's and humidity to match. Summer in Florida with its' high temperatures and humidity to match is not only very uncomfortable, it is dangerous. It is rare to hear of someone dying in the cold. Every power outage in hot season seems to bring news reports of people dying.

Separately, I know people who commute on a bicycle year around and the "Fat Tire" people seem to enjoy winter camping with some pretty low cutoff temperatures.

Last night I met a professional woman who was telling how she and her family moved their cutoff temperature for travel to their remote cabin from -20F to -40F/C. And this was with toddler age children.

Last edited by ModeratedUser150120149; 12-17-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 09:36 PM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Save for snow/ice/rain, I ride all year. Winter riding is not my favorite endeavor, but I do it to maintain fitness, physical and psychological, and work on my annual mileage. Fortunately, I don't have to face the temperature faced by digibud and those who live in the northern climes. We get some sub-zero temperatures occasionally, but that's the exception rather than the rule.
Old 12-18-12, 12:31 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,794 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
well, I don't have to deal with the super-cold that some of you are talking about, Merely the cold. It's about 22 °F just now, and I'm slowly preparing to go out for my evening ride. I kind of drag my feet, avoiding the bracing feeling of the start of the ride, but I'll be very happy once I'm riding.
Yeah, it was a fine ride. Unfortunately, one of the trails was as close to a sheet of ice as I've ever seen - miles and miles of glare ice. I'm not sure why - the trail was hard packed snow the other day, but I guess just a little bit of rain a few nights ago and then the cold....Anyway, my Nokian A10 studded tires, though not the most heavily studded of tires, kept me upright.
Old 12-18-12, 05:00 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
I live in Michigan, am about to turn 60 and I just love riding my bike in the winter.
Makes me feel young and tough lol.

I rode today, sun was out and it was about 36f , I ride a Cruiser 5 about 5 times a week 16 to 25 miles at a time. Today I did 25.

It's a nice change to ride without sweating. I'm looking forward to some snow, I've already put studs on one of my bikes, and will be adding to another in a day or so. Oh, yeah, the skis are waxed and ready also.

Marc
Old 12-18-12, 07:21 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
It's a nice change to ride without sweating. I'm looking forward to some snow, I've already put studs on one of my bikes, and will be adding to another in a day or so. Oh, yeah, the skis are waxed and ready also.

Marc
I would LOVE to know how to pull that off. Even on the coldest days with heavy winds, being "under-dressed" and shivering, I perspire when riding.
Old 12-18-12, 10:14 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Even the ride home into rain and storm front headwind, was a short adventure,
coming home from town center.
Old 12-18-12, 12:29 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did a ride today in 36F temp but no rain and only a slight breeze. Sealskinz Gloves and socks and they did not get cold. Base layer- short sleeve jersey and the ultimate top coat-----An ASSOS winter coat. Wind-proof and warm to start but it is that keeping the wind out that works. Also Put on the cyclight tights but the Ski Mask stayed in the back pocket. The sun only came out for a little while and it was at that stage that I had to unzip.

It is the layering that keeps out the cold providing the layers are of the right material. The base layer is a thermal wicking long sleeve vest and Assos clothing is top of the range. Prices are top of the range too but Sales do occur but if you can afford it- Assos clothing is worth it.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-18-12, 12:45 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today was the season's first commute in the snow. About five centimeters of new snow, but falling over roads wet from yesterday's rain and major hailstorm, so I had to be a bit careful on the descents and corners, but it wasn't too bad, even the curving 10% grade off the part of the hill I live on. Fresh snow is soft enough to ride on; you can even apply some front brake. Had to get used to the bike feeling "loose" in spots, and a little bit of front wheel deflection where the snow gets compressed and rutted by car tracks, but riding in snow really improves your general bike-handling skills, especially when you do it on 23mm racing tires with no tread or studs.

But the usual 20-km commute, which takes about 55 minutes (by the computer) on a slow day, turned into a 1h 8-minute commute, even though the snow turned to slush as I neared downtown Vancouver. But what surprised me the most was the large number of bike tracks on the greenway bike route/path. Must have been a couple of dozen. Usually in new snow, I see a couple of tracks by the time I get there. But today, the path was being heavily used.

There were also a few riders cautiously walking their bikes down some of the descents, although they are by no means steep. You have to get used to riding with the rear wheel locking up every now and then.

Luis
Old 12-18-12, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I would LOVE to know how to pull that off. Even on the coldest days with heavy winds, being "under-dressed" and shivering, I perspire when riding.
I guess it's all relative. I should say "sweat less" or minimally. It is kind of funny to walk in somewhere with sweat on my brow when I take off my helmet and hear somebody ask: "Aren't you cold?" Do I really look cold with sweat on my forehead? Oh, well. A lot of people just need educating.

Marc
Old 12-18-12, 02:47 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Year rounder here too. I chuckle at how few bikes are at the train station on snowy or sub-zero days --just a couple of us loons.
My coldest day was below -25F. Those days are more about mastering the elements than actually enjoying the ride (full neoprene mask, ski goggles, toe covers, padded underwear junk warmers, etc).

It also reminds of of those tough windy days on our supported long ride trips --where the youngsters give up and call for a pickup. The older guys just plod along respectfully defying the elements.
Old 12-18-12, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5216 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 2,325 Posts
awww, this reminded me of that feeling when I first became independant and could ride my bike whereever I wanted, and it was fast!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.