Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice requested on Go Pro cameras.

Just thinking about them right now and I am a cheap skate. Looking at the Hero 3 white edition as it is the cheapest. The next one up may just be out of reach for a while.

But There are also a few deals gong on the Hero 2 versions.

One of which is the Hero HD Naked. Price is comparable but the Naked is discounted greatly to bring it down to the Hero3 white edition.

So any of you that have experience or have already looked at the two versions--What are your views?

It will obviously be used for cycling and it is for this use that I am looking at but it may get used for other pastimes.

I already have a cheaper Drift Video camera that I am disappointed with and have decided that if I am going to get a Video camera- I want something that works well enough and I do not feel was a waste of money.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you buy the Naked model, I think what you get is just the camera with no mounts or accessories. You can then decide whether you want a handlebar mount, helmet mount or chest strap. Having used all three, I highly recommend the chest strap.
    You will also need to buy a SD card. The camera supposedly only supports the SDHC card, but I'm using a 64g SDXC in mine only because I use it as a dash cam in the truck and I can record 12 hours of video on it.
    A 32g card would be more than you'd ever need for cycling adventures I would think.
    Depending on how long you want to record, you may also want the add on battery pack. It all adds up, and once you start using it, you'll no doubt be checking other toys and accessories for it. Get one, they're fun.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone simply use their smart phone for videos? I have been thinking about the same thing, but I don't want to spend that much $$. Also, what about previous Hero models - I saw an older one with full attachments for $100 on CL.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Specialized Tarmac, Colnago Master X-Lite, 1980 Colnago Super, 2002 Mercx Alucarb, 1989 CF Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried to mount an iphone on my bike to film with, the lens shakes too much and the picture is useless. So I bought two gopro hero2 which have been fantastic. The camera club I belong to bought a hero3 silver and a hero3 black. I am just testing the black, but the silver is no better than the hero2 resolution wise. So unless you are really going to try to do some advanced videos, I think the hero2 with housing and mounts is a great deal. You can see my hero2 videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelg...ature=g-crec-u
    Last edited by dminor; 12-13-12 at 10:01 AM.

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really can't go wrong with either version; just depends on what/how much you want packaged with it. I have an older HD960 and even that puts out some decent footage; it just kinda odd anymore because although it's semi-high-def, it's still the old 4:3 aspect ratio.

Be cogizant of what you want to accomplish when choosing mounts. Top of the helmet gives an unobstructed view but has a bit of an unnatural 'helicopter' feel IMO, because the vantage point is high. Chest mount is a cool angle but you'll have to fiddle with camera angle some before you get it dialed. And you REALLY have to cinch down the straps on the chesty mount to keep the cam from bouncing. In my case, I'm using it with a full-face, so an eye-level side mount is easy to set up and gives a good perspective.

Here was my first attempt at the chest mount - - which, as you can see, I did not have angle dialed yet. All the same, it was at least a fun exercise in my first attempt at non-linear editing:

My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a gopro as well but I don't use it too much on the bicycle. It's just too slow, unless it's a technical descent. I use it on my motorcycles much more often.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My sponsor (Gina) just bought me a GoPro2 at Costco Outdoor edition for $199, not a bad deal

IMO, sound is not all that good. Other than that, prerty cool

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-outdoor-edition/

Headstrap
    helmet mount
    few connectors
    and the wifi bacpac attachment (remote control unit $79 value)

wifi
    http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/

Just made this video on the weekend. I spoke with my bud for a sound check, ok but not good.

Recorded in 1080 (medium frame) high def resolution. Picture looks nice when you watch in high def mode on youtube.

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 12-13-12 at 12:28 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FTR, ride footage up to 3:40 was recorded mounted on the handelbars. After that I recorded free hand, mounted on a small (6 inch) tripod. I used it like a handle after watching go pro tips on youtube. They used a broomstick type handle thingie.

Also many riders have stated the actual handlbar mount is not all that good, it is small and it breaks easil especially with O/S handle bars. I accidentally bought the ROLL BAR set up and it works fine on the hb's, same design but larger so it's not stressed like the actual hb mount.

If you use it on a surf board or car, I's get some kind of a tether. I hooked up a wrist lanyard to the go pro case while using it freehand on the bike just in case.

I also purchased the tripod mount attachment ($7). I'm shocked it wasn't included but then realized they nickel and dime you to death for attachments.

I also have a $5 flat alum mount that straps onto the hb's I bought online for $5 couple years back. I noticed some after market stiff alum holders for the go pro very expensive. They claim to have a steadier view since it doesn't vibrate as much as the go pro link type set up. I'll try the go pro on this thing since it's flat to the hb's, what's the difference, $60??...the tripod attachment makes using this mount possible.

Also, if you buy at Best Buy, they will price match accessories. I got my roll bar there, they wanted $30, I got it for $17 after mentionign ti was online for $18.

My small mount, small fold out legs with rubber grips plus straps to secure on the hb's, very stable.

hooke dup to my FLip recorder,not too stable because of the tall rectangular shape of the Flip.

Go pro mount on the tandem with the "roll bar mount". Worked well but going to try the flat alum mount as an test.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can understand-The GoPro 2 series are pretty good. But the 3 series should be better. I can get a 2 seies with more accesories for the same price as a 3 White- the cheap one.

Will have to look at the specs and details of the available cameras and TRY to decide.

And a clip from my Drift X170 that I currently have. Couple of problems-one of which is noise and the other is Battery life. It handles Vibration fairly well but it does not like changes of light either.

The clip also shows a problem in showing inclines on all Videos. The first part is downhill at around 10% and at 50 seconds in you start the 12% uphill. In the video it all looks flat.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    From what I can understand-The GoPro 2 series are pretty good. But the 3 series should be better. I can get a 2 seies with more accesories for the same price as a 3 White- the cheap one.
    Wen I looked at Go Pro at Best Buy, the 2 and the 3 were the same price. I figured ther couldn't be much difference.

Then I found the GP2 at Costco and bought it. I looked up reviews to see the difference. The GP3 has a flat lens on the case that is better for under water, I am not a scuba diver and Gina won't let me record her under water in the pool so makes no difference to me. Heck, we don't even have a pool!

The other thing I read was the sound was bit better on the GP3. I myself really don't care for the natural sounds of sporting activites so doesn't affect me much since I use music on most my footage. Plus the youtube samples I heard didn't seem that much difference in my opinion anyway so I'm happy with the GP2.

My Bikes
    Ridley Noah, Specialized Tarmac, Colnago Master X-Lite, 1980 Colnago Super, 2002 Mercx Alucarb, 1989 CF Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The white 3 and the silver 3 have the same sensor as the hero 2, and I did not find the lens any better. The black 3 has a better sensor, but I still think the 2 is going to be more than enough.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At 3:20 to 4:00 we hit a couple of underpasses, second one tunnel like . The GP does pretty good in light change. I see what you mean with the drift and light change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got one for my son for Christmas. Will give a report after that but he wants it for duck hunting so I don't know how that will translate to cycling.

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Anyone simply use their smart phone for videos? I have been thinking about the same thing, but I don't want to spend that much $$. Also, what about previous Hero models - I saw an older one with full attachments for $100 on CL.
    As was already mentioned, one issue is the mounting. I forgot to charge my compact/pocket camera when I rode the biggest cycling
    event in the US. So I was thinking, no problem I'll take footage next year. But I got a call from a friend in the middle of the bridge;
    since I was already stopped - I started filming with my smartphone. It's a Samsung Galaxy S. All photos and videos were taken with
    my cellphone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdA_razCOZg

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried a Canon camera with IS stabilized video? Or is GoPro the only real choice for active video?

My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    ....... I have an older HD960 and even that puts out some decent footage; it just kinda odd anymore because although it's semi-high-def, it's still the old 4:3 aspect ratio.........
    What setting were you using, 480p? That setting and also 960p will give you a squarish view.
    I used to set my GoPro 960 at 720p, which has a wide screen view:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheUc-zlfiM

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    My sponsor (Gina) just bought me a GoPro2 at Costco Outdoor edition for $199, not a bad deal

IMO, sound is not all that good. Other than that, prerty cool...................
    Just made this video on the weekend. I spoke with my bud for a sound check, ok but not good.
    What backing were you using, with or without the holes?
    I was using the one without holes for this video, GoPro 960:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYLoMM5Pxq0

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Has anyone tried a Canon camera with IS stabilized video? Or is GoPro the only real choice for active video?
    I don't think any optical or digital stabilizer can help your video if the road/trail is really bumpy.
    GoPros, Contour, etc.; most of these cams don't have a lens that can zoom in or out. That's one
    of the reasons the video they make are less bouncy. There are plenty of action cams on the
    market.

http://www.rei.com/search?search=cam...query%2Ccamera

Here's my video shot with a ContourGPS, the photos were taken w/ my smartphone - a Samsung Galaxy S:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLpALIiTFNo

Here's a video shot with a regular pocket/compact camera, a
    Fujifilm XP50, it doesn't have a lens that zooms out of the body:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkYH0Z403hk

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Nokia lumia 920 smartphone has image stabilization that I hear good things about. I saw a handheld clip from a bike that was impressive but I'd need to try it myself. I'll try to get one ( job gives me sample phones to test).
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the Hero 2. I like it, but
    - $ for bike mount.
    - $$$ for battery extender (not yet purchased).
    - $$$ for LED screen (not purchased either).
    - $$$$$$$ for new iMac with quad processors (not even on the radar).

Seriously, the biggest problem is with the video processing, which is at best time consuming and at worst a computer crashing nightmare. I still have footage from Colorado I haven't processed yet.

My Bikes
    All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after getting harassed a couple times by cops for taking the lane, I picked up an Epic for under $80.00. It works great

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    What backing were you using, with or without the holes?
    I was using the one without holes for this video, GoPro 960:
    I used the backing with the holes (skeleton door). Of course I can hear but compared to my cheap Flip ($120) the sound is terrible in comparison.

My first video with the GoPro I total took it out of the case (chatting with Victor). Sounds better but still not real good.

ABQ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or is GoPro the only real choice for active video?
    JVC Adixxion is another action cam. They advertise in Flying Magazine. Their website is http://Beactionready.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    I used the backing with the holes (skeleton door). Of course I can hear but compared to my cheap Flip ($120) the sound is terrible in comparison.

My first video with the GoPro I total took it out of the case (chatting with Victor). Sounds better but still not real good.
    Nice video.

Do you guys use open music or do you worry about copyrights or what?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

In search of moar cowbell dminor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the approach that, since it's for strictly personal, noncommercial use, I give proper copyright credit at the end and call it good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast