Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shattering the Ultimate Illusion, Facing Reality

An employee at Wendy's today told me that she has seen me "pedaling all over the place on my bicycle, and I pedal so fast, and I am so old!"

She was about 25-30yo or so, and with her accent and looks appeared to be of Indian (India) heritage. Attachment 288538
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-14-12 at 08:47 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you.

My wife and I were several hundred miles into a tour last summer on loaded bikes when we started to go by a 35-40 year old guy who was riding on the sidewalk. We said "hi", and he asked where we were coming from and where we were going. He looked like the kind of guy you often see in larger towns who may have lost their drivers license, and are riding a beat up old mountain bike. When we told him, "San Francisco to the Mexican border" he said, "that is really good for a couple your age."

We took it as a compliment, and still laugh about it.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    An employee at Wendy's today told me that she has seen me "pedaling all over the place on my bicycle, and I pedal so fast, and I am so old!"

She was about 25-30yo or so, and with her accent and looks appeared to be of Indian (India) heritage.
    I seem to remember we have been down this road before not long ago with people joking about young women flirting with older cyclists. I often believe reality is harder for some than others. We had a guy riding with us that thought he was flirting with a young girl working at one of our regular coffee shop stops. While about 15 of us sat around and watched them banter we all got quiet when we heard her say, I wish my dad would get out and ride like you. One look at our faces and you would have thought we were all frozen for a group picture. Thank goodness she didn't say, grand dad.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Denver, we are old, which is not a bad thing. Those who discriminate against, underestimate, and in other ways denigrate those of us who have more years, just aren't mature enough to know any better.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was hoping that someone would respond, "In the Indian culture, 'Old' is respected and highly valued," but no such luck. Please take my OP with a bit of tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes I don't realize that my posts come across as serious, when I didn't mean them that way!! Is there a smiley for tongue-in-cheek?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She was about 25-30yo or so, and with her accent and looks appeared to be of Indian (India) heritage.
    And what illusion was shattered?
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I was hoping that someone would respond, "In the Indian culture, 'Old' is respected and highly valued," but no such luck. Please take my OP with a bit of tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes I don't realize that my posts come across as serious, when I didn't mean them that way!! Is there a smiley for tongue-in-cheek?
    Yep...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My illusions are shattered every time I get out my driver's license with its 20 y/o picture.
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shattering the Ultimate Illusion, Facing Reality

You're 73, by your own admission. Brace up, man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to say just that.

My grandson, who is in med school, has a good friend and roommate from India. They visit us occasionally and I get that highly respected feeling from him. Very nice young man.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My illusions are shattered every time I brush my teeth in the morning
    when I see some old guy staring back at me in the mirror

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Bill View Post
    My illusions are shattered every time I brush my teeth in the morning
    when I see some old guy staring back at me in the mirror
    You got teeth!?
    1988 TREK 400T, 1985 TREK 470, 1988 DiamondBack Ascent EX

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about all that, but "A Christmas Story" was playing the other day. I never noticed before the mom is cute.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's funny, wife and I were in Wendy's today at lunch and the lady at the cash register announced, rather loudly, that she applied "senior discount" to the bill. Guess I am starting to show my age.
    I should have said "yep but I ain't hard of hearing yet!"
    1988 TREK 400T, 1985 TREK 470, 1988 DiamondBack Ascent EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Segundo View Post
    You got teeth!?

My Bikes
    specalized sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tell her a man that can pump for hours is a happy, healthy man, then smile and say petals I mean petals. Then ask her out.

Rod

It always gets a smile. No dates yet. But it does get a smile.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .......... I am so old!".........
    Just tell that you're 25 and had a serious illness.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not only kids who can do this to you. About eight years back, when my daughter was 3, the Lions Club was selling Christmas cakes in my area. I took her out to buy one. There I was, standing in the road with my daughter in my arms. One bloke, probably in his sixties, said to the lass, "having fun with your GRANDPA?"
    Hmmmph
    I got my revenge though, the look on his face when she corrected him was priceless
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
    Just tell that you're 25 and had a serious illness.
    I frequently ride the bike to the cleaners (a new one for us since the old one closed). So, on the first ride, the very sweet owner/operator of oriental descent and accent remarked upon my bike and my riding, and did I always ride, etc. During the course of our conversation, I told her I swam a lot, lifted weights, etc., and the subject of my age came up. I told her I was 95. She stopped and came over and looked me over, head to toe, front to back, with this strange look on her face. I hated to destroy the moment by telling her I was only 73, but I did. It was enjoyable. We are now friends, and she looks forward to my biking there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of a guy I met on the ferry headed down to Prince Rupert. Early morning hours and we were visiting. He had driven from Columbus, Ohio to Yukon across the Top Of The World Highway (with them closing the road as he went due to snow) and back down to Haines to catch the ferry and thence back home. A Big trip.

He asked me how old I thought he was. With that lead I added 10 years and guessed 70. His driver's license said 95.

Secret to all of us elders? Like someone recently said: It is OK to be an Elder but not to be Elderly. Don't be elderly.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Well, Denver, we are old, which is not a bad thing. Those who discriminate against, underestimate, and in other ways denigrate those of us who have more years, just aren't mature enough to know any better.
    My body has aged but my spirit is ageless. That's what some people don't yet know about us and themselves.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a matter of fact, there is... don't know that I've ever seen it used though.
    http://pc.net/emoticons/smiley/tongue_in_cheek
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some one for some reason did a study,,,yes probably using government money..

The study found that the rate that we age physically is just slow enough that when we look in the mirror
    throughout our lives we do NOT precieve, or actually see the aging process happen.
    So It's often a surprise one day when we see an older face looking back at us...

I do not fear death,
    I'm having too much fun.

Besides that,,,
    I'm so good looking now that I'm past 50 I have to carry a can of mace to keep the women off me XD
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I frequently ride the bike to the cleaners (a new one for us since the old one closed). So, on the first ride, the very sweet owner/operator of oriental descent and accent remarked upon my bike and my riding, and did I always ride, etc. During the course of our conversation, I told her I swam a lot, lifted weights, etc., and the subject of my age came up. I told her I was 95. She stopped and came over and looked me over, head to toe, front to back, with this strange look on her face. I hated to destroy the moment by telling her I was only 73, but I did. It was enjoyable. We are now friends, and she looks forward to my biking there.
    It would have been funnier if she said "you don't look a day over 80".
    The trick to life is to keep moving.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post

Secret to all of us elders? Like someone recently said: It is OK to be an Elder but not to be Elderly. Don't be elderly.
    Thanks! I like that! It's a good one to remember!
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast