Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-12, 07:49 PM   #26
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
^^^, Tex, +1 on what Denver said, it is a no-brainer to install the meter's sensor, front or back. I did it and I am totally inept and basically as dumb as a box of rocks. And now rocks everywhere are mad at me.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 07:58 PM   #27
TexLex100

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^I think you are way smarter than me then
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 08:46 PM   #28
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
I have the following. Coach Troy tells you what trainer resistance on a lot of mine on a scale of 1-5. My Spinner goes 1-16, so I just calculate in by dividing it. He always tells you what Gear Ratio, so I have a chart, Big Chainring/15 for me is a Level 10 on my spinner. I can't begin to tell you how much I use these DVD's.

As far as miles, I think it's pretty accurate. Resistance is relative, you can go 1 mile on your road bike downhill in top gear, or downshift and ride uphill, but a mile is a mile. I did measure my speed/time, etc and calculated it, and it seems to come out real close. No matter what you decide to base your calculations on (miles, watts, calorie burn), it's nice to baseline your workouts. I keep an accurate log of all my workouts, it keeps me on track.

I did the 1.0 tonight, but I kept my resistance at a level where I did all my intervals at 100 RPM or above. In the end, I did a mile more than the normal workout. So you can vary what you do, and still use the DVD's.

My LBS had a few of these to RENT, so after getting one for a weekend, I was hooked! I joined the Spinervals "Club" for a month to get the discount on the DVD's. For me, best money I have spent in a long time.
  • 1.0 Riding Strong with Team Clydesdale
  • 6.0 Riding with Iron Girl
  • 16.0 Aero Base Builder I
  • 17.0 Aero Base Builder II
  • 18.0 Aero Base Builder III
  • 21.0 Aero Base Builder IV
  • 23.0 Time Saver 1
  • 25.0 Aero Base Builder V
  • 28.0 Aero Base Builder VI
  • 30.0 Muscular Endurance Plus
  • Spinervals with Iron Girl Time Saver

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
2012 Specialized Crux Disc
My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
gforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 08:58 PM   #29
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gforeman View Post
I have the following. Coach Troy tells you what trainer resistance on a lot of mine on a scale of 1-5. My Spinner goes 1-16, so I just calculate in by dividing it. He always tells you what Gear Ratio, so I have a chart, Big Chainring/15 for me is a Level 10 on my spinner. I can't begin to tell you how much I use these DVD's.

As far as miles, I think it's pretty accurate. Resistance is relative, you can go 1 mile on your road bike downhill in top gear, or downshift and ride uphill, but a mile is a mile. I did measure my speed/time, etc and calculated it, and it seems to come out real close. No matter what you decide to base your calculations on (miles, watts, calorie burn), it's nice to baseline your workouts. I keep an accurate log of all my workouts, it keeps me on track.

I did the 1.0 tonight, but I kept my resistance at a level where I did all my intervals at 100 RPM or above. In the end, I did a mile more than the normal workout. So you can vary what you do, and still use the DVD's.

My LBS had a few of these to RENT, so after getting one for a weekend, I was hooked! I joined the Spinervals "Club" for a month to get the discount on the DVD's. For me, best money I have spent in a long time.
  • 1.0 Riding Strong with Team Clydesdale
  • 6.0 Riding with Iron Girl
  • 16.0 Aero Base Builder I
  • 17.0 Aero Base Builder II
  • 18.0 Aero Base Builder III
  • 21.0 Aero Base Builder IV
  • 23.0 Time Saver 1
  • 25.0 Aero Base Builder V
  • 28.0 Aero Base Builder VI
  • 30.0 Muscular Endurance Plus
  • Spinervals with Iron Girl Time Saver
I use a mtn bike, not a spinner bike - yes Troy does show the resistance level on the screen - I just never use it, doing the gear changes, so I sort of forgot about it. As far as mileage - of course do what you like. I don't track mileage, period, any time, so I am sort of a strange bird.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-12, 09:32 PM   #30
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
I use a mtn bike, not a spinner bike - yes Troy does show the resistance level on the screen - I just never use it, doing the gear changes, so I sort of forgot about it. As far as mileage - of course do what you like. I don't track mileage, period, any time, so I am sort of a strange bird.
It's all what motivates you I try to do the same routines and finish them sometimes with more miles than the last time, kind of like racing myself

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
2012 Specialized Crux Disc
My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
gforeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 05:31 AM   #31
zacster

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is also the Sufferfest series, which I'm finding to be just that. They are a change of pace from the Spinervals, using race footage instead of watching people on trainers. I put them on my iPad and mount the iPad to the bars using my old handlebar bag. While I've never gone through an entire Spinervals video in my years of using them, I usually finish the Sufferfest ones, and they both run about an hour. There must be something more compelling about it.

I always count trainer miles. Even if it is not entirely accurate on my computer, I know I'm getting a workout that's probably more than I'd get doing the equivalent time on the road.

Last edited by zacster; 12-18-12 at 05:35 AM.
zacster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 07:05 AM   #32
TexLex100

Bikes:
Speaking of measuring miles, do you folks have any preference to wired vs. wireless computers which mount on the rear tire? Any advantages or disadvantages to each?
TexLex100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 07:12 AM   #33
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLex100 View Post
Speaking of measuring miles, do you folks have any preference to wired vs. wireless computers which mount on the rear tire? Any advantages or disadvantages to each?
My trainer mtn bike is permanently located in the basement. I use wired. My other mtn bike - the one I use for outside - is also wired, but no cadence.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-18-12 at 07:24 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote