Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not riding at present

Too much wind-Too cold-Too much rain and if it is not raining----TOO much standing water.

Excuses I know but as I ride solo- I do want to finish rides in a respectable condition. That is not possible with our UK weather as as far as I can make out- where I live is not getting the inclement weather as bad as the rest of the UK. Not going to go on about how bad the weather is as so far- it has been possible to do a few short rides and that is mainly on the higher ground but you have to be careful on the low lying dips on the rollers up North from where I live.

My local club went out this morning and they had to make several deviations from the planned route.

pear tree.jpg

As you can see- they have changed the name of the lane and this was at a spot completely unexpected. Not that low a dip in the road and this was not the only bit they diverted round. It was above axle height and none of them had their water wings on.

This would have been on a route I would take as it is fairly high without TOO much standing water.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez!

Hey! You have enough bikes and enough parts laying around there: Have you thought about a Pedal BOAT?
    ... You might get more use out of it!

Hang In There! Even Noah had to wait out the floods...
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Apollo Revival Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sympathies with the OP as I live in Manchester and although we havent had it nearly as bad as you have, (horrendous is putting it mildly) there is still loads of mud on our paths.

I didnt take my bike out today and was glad I didnt as there was nothing but deep mud and puddles everywhere to negoatiate and it would have got stinking muddy.

Weather here has definitely left a "like getting muddy and bring your swimming gear" impression!
    Apollo Revival MTB AKA Sunshine

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apollored View Post
    Sympathies with the OP as I live in Manchester and although we havent had it nearly as bad as you have, (horrendous is putting it mildly) there is still loads of mud on our paths.

I didnt take my bike out today and was glad I didnt as there was nothing but deep mud and puddles everywhere to negoatiate and it would have got stinking muddy.

Weather here has definitely left a "like getting muddy and bring your swimming gear" impression!
    Not this year as I haven't been along this track since the summer but this is our route to the Hills last year.

Muddy..jpg

Same trail from a couple of years ago and that back wheel on the tandem is sitting in the ruts that we have to negotiate.

TO KEEP 076.jpg

And don't show this to the Americans as They reckon riding in Mud ruins the trails.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been following the weather happenings in the U.K. lately. Early this year Stapfam was in the middle of a hosepipe ban and water usage restrictions. Now the heavens have opened up again, last summer was bad enough during the run up to the Olympics. I hope everyone in the U.K. makes it through this latest spell of rain and the freezing temps you recently had. Please be safe.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peartree Lake looks quite nice!

If it keeps up, consider using outboard motor grease in your wheels and BB...
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a ride yesterday and kept to a route I know does not flood. The wife decded that as it was such a good day- she would take the road over the marsh's in her car. She will not be going there again-----EVER. 1/2 mile of reversing along a very narrow road when she found out what the marsh's do in wet weather and she learnt her lesson.

Spike Milligan