User Tag List

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last 'Official' Century of 2012

Hello everyone, I did my fifth century or greater group/event ride this year on Saturday.

The temps started in the mid 70s and it was 85 at the end. Humidity went from high nineties to mid seventies at the end. Pretty flat where the ride was but there are no trees and the winds were gusting up to 35+.

I was supposed to make it a just a finish ride with my three other buddies ....but as they say 'when you have a number on your back it's a race'!

Anyway we really pushed the ride and the last 40 miles were very tough against the wind....oh the cramps!

When I finished and checked my time I realized that I had bested my personal best for a century (actually 102 miles) by almost 45 minutes Not bad for someone who's been riding only 1.5 years and had hernia surgery 11 weeks (correction) ago! Time was 5:45 for 102 miles.

My riding buddy, who is 74 beat me by eight minutes.....remember it was not a race

One more goal for the year and that is 7,000 miles. Should have it by next week.

Just goes to show you old guys can still do it

Richard
    Last edited by Rwc5830; 12-16-12 at 01:28 PM.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your ride. Nice going.

I'm guessing your hernia surgery was laproscopic. I had bilateal hernia surgery 7 weeks ago, not laproscopic, and I'm barely managing 12 mile rides now. No way I could do a century in 4 weeks

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you Richard, that is great so soon after the surgery, hope the fitness keeps on improving so well.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by climberguy View Post
    Congratulations on your ride. Nice going.

I'm guessing your hernia surgery was laproscopic. I had bilateal hernia surgery 7 weeks ago, not laproscopic, and I'm barely managing 12 mile rides now. No way I could do a century in 4 weeks
    Yes laparoscopic, I was on the bike doing 40 mile rides 2.5 weeks after the surgery. It still gets a little sore when I really ride hard. Good luck on your recovery. Mine was an inguinal hernia, doctors always told me when they did the cough test that one day I would have a problem.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Good for you Richard, that is great so soon after the surgery, hope the fitness keeps on improving so well.

Bill
    Thanks Bill, did not really want to push it that much but when I get in those rides you just don't want to get left behind.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great going Richard. I'd rather climb a hill than battle the wind any day.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    better than I deserve
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rwc5830 View Post
    Yes laparoscopic, I was on the bike doing 40 mile rides 2.5 weeks after the surgery. It still gets a little sore when I really ride hard. Good luck on your recovery. Mine was an inguinal hernia, doctors always told me when they did the cough test that one day I would have a problem.
    Laproscopic or not, doing a century at this point is still impressive. Sounds like your recovery is almost complete.

My surgery was bilateral, as I said, and open incisions--and also inguinal, as yours. Mine was diagnosed (by two docs) through the cough test, though a third doc, sports medicine, continued to think it was a muscle tear from running. I haven't gone back to that one.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Great going Richard. I'd rather climb a hill than battle the wind any day.
    Thanks. One of my 2013 goals is to go do at least one ride with a mile or more climbing in one day. I did a couple long rides this year with about half a mile and did OK. I'll have to go far to do a ride with that much climbing, but it's going to be on that list for next year

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outstanding pace, Congrads.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going Richard. I wish you guys were a little closer to me, so we could get together. Anyhow, great ride and have a nice Christmas.
    George