Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Damaged in transit

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Damaged in transit

Old 12-16-12, 02:46 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Damaged in transit

I sent this bike frame to someone who'd been looking for one to build up last week.

Here are some before and after pics. I know it wasn't an expensive bike but it had no rust at all, had survived 24 years without any damage and would have done another 24 with no trouble.

It was well packaged in a bike box from my local LBS.

Looks to me as if it was run over by the delivery van or fork-lift truck.

Discussions still ongoing with the carrier.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Saracen Eiger4.jpg (90.9 KB, 225 views)
Saracen1.jpg (100.0 KB, 241 views)
Saracen2.jpg (99.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-16-12, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would think the box would've been damaged as well.
Old 12-16-12, 03:25 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did the recipient take any pictures of the box when it arrived? It had to have shown massive damage as well, and unless he wasn't there at the time of delivery, he should have refused it.
Old 12-16-12, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh man, those after pictures are brutal.

Best wishes on the discussions. Who was the carrier?
Old 12-16-12, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
was it UPS? you wouldn't believe the damaged boxes we get back at work, and they are expensive aircraft parts in heavy wooden crates, It's common knowledge if the tractor trailer door doesn't close, that they will ram everything with the forklift until it does, it costs them less to pay the damage claims then to unload the truck and delay everything, they could give a rats ass less about your stuff, I know people who work there who can verify this goes on. It's the same at other carriers I'm sure. And NEVER mark anything as fragile, this is just an invitation for them to take out their frustrations on it. There was a test study done a while back, where recording instruments were sent USPS, and the packages marked fragile suffered far greater G loads and impacts then the ones unmarked. Exact same weight and size, just one marked fragile and one not.
Old 12-16-12, 03:55 PM

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Brutal. There had to pieces of the box missing or torn. Hope the carrier makes it right.
Old 12-16-12, 04:56 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

The box was torn apart and held together by the carrier's tape. It was received by the daughter of the buyer and signed for as damaged. Plenty of pics, which I've sent them.

I know how to pack a bike and I've sent a couple of frames with this company before without any problems - they're called Yodel - but never again. I hope that they have the decency to sort this out quickly, although there will probably be problems about compensation as it was an old frame whose value is very difficult to judge.

Fingers crossed but I don't expect much to happen before Christmas.
Old 12-16-12, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, now that is serious damage!!
Old 12-16-12, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
The box was torn apart and held together by the carrier's tape. It was received by the daughter of the buyer and signed for as damaged. Plenty of pics, which I've sent them.

I know how to pack a bike and I've sent a couple of frames with this company before without any problems - they're called Yodel - but never again. I hope that they have the decency to sort this out quickly, although there will probably be problems about compensation as it was an old frame whose value is very difficult to judge.

Fingers crossed but I don't expect much to happen before Christmas.
Don't blacklist the company just yet. People make mistakes, like running over freight with a forklift. The real test is how they deal with making things right after the mistake is made. Some low-level employee messed up and now you get to see how management responds. If they pay up without any hassle, that would be a company I would use again. If there is a hassle or they won't pay enough to make you feel "whole", then trash them.
Old 12-16-12, 06:37 PM

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
craptastic..... I have not had something like that happen in years
Old 12-16-12, 06:43 PM

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there used to be cell phone videos of UPS employees ramming freight into the truck until they sued to have it taken down, something about all video taping is restricted bla bla bla, so the video was illegally taken, I have relatives who worked for them and it happens all the time, not just them but most carriers l
Old 12-16-12, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I thought it might have been on the FedEx truck and trailer we saw overturned on an interstate highway in New Mexico a week or so ago.

But then the OP is from Britain, so the details didn't mesh.
Old 12-16-12, 08:33 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I would think the box would've been damaged as well.
I received a set of "new" Woodchipper bars, from an online vendor, that were broken into multiple pieces and the box was pristine. A telling clue as to what had happened was the shipping tag on the outside was re-taped onto the box it arrived in. No doubt the original box had been crushed and the bars were repacked into a new box. I took pictures of the bars and box and shipping tag and sent them to the vendor, they contacted UPS and UPS replaced them, no problem.
Old 12-17-12, 03:05 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Don't blacklist the company just yet. People make mistakes, like running over freight with a forklift. The real test is how they deal with making things right after the mistake is made. Some low-level employee messed up and now you get to see how management responds. If they pay up without any hassle, that would be a company I would use again. If there is a hassle or they won't pay enough to make you feel "whole", then trash them.
You're right of course. I suppose I've been lucky in the past in that I've posted bike stuff dozens of times, including internationally, without any problems. Let's see how this pans out.

Old 12-18-12, 06:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That frame can be good as new with some elbow grease, a vice and JB Weld. J/K
Old 12-18-12, 06:40 PM
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm in disbelief. Delivering the package to the wrong address would be a mistake. This is a case of gross negligence, and possibly intentional abuse of private property. The real test has already taken place. The carrier failed. If it were me I would never, ever use that company again. I couldn't disagree more with the attitude displayed above.
Old 12-18-12, 07:09 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Agree. Stuff happens. It's not a good thing and they can no longer claim a perfect record, but the final measure is in what they do to make it right. I do think I would hesitate to use them for shipping something really special, though.
Old 12-19-12, 11:34 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I've shipped two complete bikes with Fed Ex in the last two years. Both were delivered without any damage.

I informally researched UPS & Fed Ex and found that Fed Ex has a much better reputation concerning bike shipments. They were less expensive, also.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-19-12, 11:42 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It looks like the only discussion should concern the replacement cost! That looks painful.
Old 12-19-12, 11:53 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Continents apart but Yodel exists in the UK. They took over another company and "Tried" to expand the business without much success. I know their reputation is not that good over here and I do not know the reason why but Yodel is the last company to try for shipments as they are lower than the good old tried and tested carrier called "Royal Mail"

Hope their Insurance is better than the UK reputation.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-19-12, 12:29 PM

Bikes: Varied and subject to change

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sold a bike on ebay and took it to the LBS who packed it for me. He used more packing materials and wrapped and protected everything better than when it was shipped to him as a new bike. I shipped UPS. When the buyer received it, there was damage to the frame and fork. The box was also damaged and he took pics and had UPS come out to see it. I filed a damage claim. In the end UPS denied my claim saying there was insufficient packaging. When I claimed there was more packing protection than the mfg used, they said their packing was insufficient as well. To be covered it would have had to be packed in a wood crate with 6" of molded styrofoam surrounding it. I was out the $ and the bike.
Old 12-19-12, 12:34 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bwfox
I sold a bike on ebay and took it to the LBS who packed it for me. He used more packing materials and wrapped and protected everything better than when it was shipped to him as a new bike. I shipped UPS. When the buyer received it, there was damage to the frame and fork. The box was also damaged and he took pics and had UPS come out to see it. I filed a damage claim. In the end UPS denied my claim saying there was insufficient packaging. When I claimed there was more packing protection than the mfg used, they said their packing was insufficient as well. To be covered it would have had to be packed in a wood crate with 6" of molded styrofoam surrounding it. I was out the $ and the bike.
I think you should have tried to find a way to take them to court for that one! Sounds like a major cop out on their end!

I've been following this thread and am just hoping for a smooth conclusion for the OP. :/
Old 12-19-12, 12:51 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Update:

I've exchanged several emails with their claims team and am going round in circles. They say that, although I was insured, their small print says that I must have proof of value to claim. I explained I don't have proof as it was an old mid-range bike, although in great condition. I gave them examples of what similar frames have sold for recently, but it appears that this isn't good enough.

I think I'm in for a long ride here but I will quite enjoy it. It's not the money, it's not worth a lot and I can afford to lose it, but it's the principle that they should make up in some way for trashing a good frame by their clear negligence. There's been no hint of an apology for the damage.

They'll find it difficult to blame the packaging given the way the box was crushed ( it took me over an hour to box it securely ). Perhaps it should have been in a steel box!

I will post pics of the damage on several bike forums, which will undoubtedly lose them many potential customers, as selling/swapping bikes and bike parts is very popular on these forums and provides parcel carriers with a lot of business.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-19-12 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 01:28 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Update:

I've exchanged several emails with their claims team and am going round in circles. They say that, although I was insured, their small print says that I must have proof of value to claim. I explained I don't have proof as it was an old mid-range bike, although in great condition. I gave them examples of what similar frames have sold for recently, but it appears that this isn't good enough.

I think I'm in for a long ride here but I will quite enjoy it. It's not the money, it's not worth a lot and I can afford to lose it, but it's the principle that they should make up in some way for trashing a good frame by their clear negligence. There's been no hint of an apology for the damage.

They'll find it difficult to blame the packaging given the way the box was crushed ( it took me over an hour to box it securely ). Perhaps it should have been in a steel box!

I will post pics of the damage on several bike forums, which will undoubtedly lose them many potential customers, as selling/swapping bikes and bike parts is very popular on these forums and provides parcel carriers with a lot of business.

Don't you have a sales agreement with the buyer? *That* is the value. Plain and simple. The market value of that item is well established since it was damaged as part of a sale, right?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-19-12, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Continents apart but Yodel exists in the UK. They took over another company and "Tried" to expand the business without much success. I know their reputation is not that good over here and I do not know the reason why but Yodel is the last company to try for shipments as they are lower than the good old tried and tested carrier called "Royal Mail"

Hope their Insurance is better than the UK reputation.
The OP lives in Cardiff. We have problems if Wales is continents apart from the UK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.