Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damaged in transit

I sent this bike frame to someone who'd been looking for one to build up last week.

Here are some before and after pics. I know it wasn't an expensive bike but it had no rust at all, had survived 24 years without any damage and would have done another 24 with no trouble.

It was well packaged in a bike box from my local LBS.

Looks to me as if it was run over by the delivery van or fork-lift truck.

Saracen Eiger4.jpgSaracen1.jpgSaracen2.jpg

Discussions still ongoing with the carrier.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think the box would've been damaged as well.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the recipient take any pictures of the box when it arrived? It had to have shown massive damage as well, and unless he wasn't there at the time of delivery, he should have refused it.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, those after pictures are brutal.

Best wishes on the discussions. Who was the carrier?
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was it UPS? you wouldn't believe the damaged boxes we get back at work, and they are expensive aircraft parts in heavy wooden crates, It's common knowledge if the tractor trailer door doesn't close, that they will ram everything with the forklift until it does, it costs them less to pay the damage claims then to unload the truck and delay everything, they could give a rats ass less about your stuff, I know people who work there who can verify this goes on. It's the same at other carriers I'm sure. And NEVER mark anything as fragile, this is just an invitation for them to take out their frustrations on it. There was a test study done a while back, where recording instruments were sent USPS, and the packages marked fragile suffered far greater G loads and impacts then the ones unmarked. Exact same weight and size, just one marked fragile and one not.

My Bikes
    70's Raleigh Sports, 70's Peugeot UO8 (2), '12 Specialized Secteur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brutal. There had to pieces of the box missing or torn. Hope the carrier makes it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The box was torn apart and held together by the carrier's tape. It was received by the daughter of the buyer and signed for as damaged. Plenty of pics, which I've sent them.

I know how to pack a bike and I've sent a couple of frames with this company before without any problems - they're called Yodel - but never again. I hope that they have the decency to sort this out quickly, although there will probably be problems about compensation as it was an old frame whose value is very difficult to judge.

Fingers crossed but I don't expect much to happen before Christmas.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, now that is serious damage!!
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    The box was torn apart and held together by the carrier's tape. It was received by the daughter of the buyer and signed for as damaged. Plenty of pics, which I've sent them.

I know how to pack a bike and I've sent a couple of frames with this company before without any problems - they're called Yodel - but never again. I hope that they have the decency to sort this out quickly, although there will probably be problems about compensation as it was an old frame whose value is very difficult to judge.

Fingers crossed but I don't expect much to happen before Christmas.
    Don't blacklist the company just yet. People make mistakes, like running over freight with a forklift. The real test is how they deal with making things right after the mistake is made. Some low-level employee messed up and now you get to see how management responds. If they pay up without any hassle, that would be a company I would use again. If there is a hassle or they won't pay enough to make you feel "whole", then trash them.

My Bikes
    paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    craptastic..... I have not had something like that happen in years

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn super sport, heavy no name each cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there used to be cell phone videos of UPS employees ramming freight into the truck until they sued to have it taken down, something about all video taping is restricted bla bla bla, so the video was illegally taken, I have relatives who worked for them and it happens all the time, not just them but most carriers l

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it might have been on the FedEx truck and trailer we saw overturned on an interstate highway in New Mexico a week or so ago.

But then the OP is from Britain, so the details didn't mesh.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I would think the box would've been damaged as well.
    I received a set of "new" Woodchipper bars, from an online vendor, that were broken into multiple pieces and the box was pristine. A telling clue as to what had happened was the shipping tag on the outside was re-taped onto the box it arrived in. No doubt the original box had been crushed and the bars were repacked into a new box. I took pictures of the bars and box and shipping tag and sent them to the vendor, they contacted UPS and UPS replaced them, no problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Don't blacklist the company just yet. People make mistakes, like running over freight with a forklift. The real test is how they deal with making things right after the mistake is made. Some low-level employee messed up and now you get to see how management responds. If they pay up without any hassle, that would be a company I would use again. If there is a hassle or they won't pay enough to make you feel "whole", then trash them.
    You're right of course. I suppose I've been lucky in the past in that I've posted bike stuff dozens of times, including internationally, without any problems. Let's see how this pans out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That frame can be good as new with some elbow grease, a vice and JB Weld. J/K

My Bikes
    CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in disbelief. Delivering the package to the wrong address would be a mistake. This is a case of gross negligence, and possibly intentional abuse of private property. The real test has already taken place. The carrier failed. If it were me I would never, ever use that company again. I couldn't disagree more with the attitude displayed above.
    IMO, FWIW, CFM, YMMV, E PLURIBUS UNUM

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. Stuff happens. It's not a good thing and they can no longer claim a perfect record, but the final measure is in what they do to make it right. I do think I would hesitate to use them for shipping something really special, though.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've shipped two complete bikes with Fed Ex in the last two years. Both were delivered without any damage.

I informally researched UPS & Fed Ex and found that Fed Ex has a much better reputation concerning bike shipments. They were less expensive, also.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the only discussion should concern the replacement cost! That looks painful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continents apart but Yodel exists in the UK. They took over another company and "Tried" to expand the business without much success. I know their reputation is not that good over here and I do not know the reason why but Yodel is the last company to try for shipments as they are lower than the good old tried and tested carrier called "Royal Mail"

Hope their Insurance is better than the UK reputation.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Varied and subject to change
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold a bike on ebay and took it to the LBS who packed it for me. He used more packing materials and wrapped and protected everything better than when it was shipped to him as a new bike. I shipped UPS. When the buyer received it, there was damage to the frame and fork. The box was also damaged and he took pics and had UPS come out to see it. I filed a damage claim. In the end UPS denied my claim saying there was insufficient packaging. When I claimed there was more packing protection than the mfg used, they said their packing was insufficient as well. To be covered it would have had to be packed in a wood crate with 6" of molded styrofoam surrounding it. I was out the $ and the bike.
    Below knee amputee, left
    Riding every chance I get
    Tandem riding with my wife
    "Tour de Cure" American Diabetes Assoc Charity bike ride.
    2012 Salsa Fargo "Drop bar 29er Adventure bike"
    2013 Cannondale CAADX Cyclocross bike, "Do it all road bike"
    Mid 90s Burley Duet Tandem "Always a project under construction"

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
    I sold a bike on ebay and took it to the LBS who packed it for me. He used more packing materials and wrapped and protected everything better than when it was shipped to him as a new bike. I shipped UPS. When the buyer received it, there was damage to the frame and fork. The box was also damaged and he took pics and had UPS come out to see it. I filed a damage claim. In the end UPS denied my claim saying there was insufficient packaging. When I claimed there was more packing protection than the mfg used, they said their packing was insufficient as well. To be covered it would have had to be packed in a wood crate with 6" of molded styrofoam surrounding it. I was out the $ and the bike.
    I think you should have tried to find a way to take them to court for that one! Sounds like a major cop out on their end!

I've been following this thread and am just hoping for a smooth conclusion for the OP. :/
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

I've exchanged several emails with their claims team and am going round in circles. They say that, although I was insured, their small print says that I must have proof of value to claim. I explained I don't have proof as it was an old mid-range bike, although in great condition. I gave them examples of what similar frames have sold for recently, but it appears that this isn't good enough.

I think I'm in for a long ride here but I will quite enjoy it. It's not the money, it's not worth a lot and I can afford to lose it, but it's the principle that they should make up in some way for trashing a good frame by their clear negligence. There's been no hint of an apology for the damage.

They'll find it difficult to blame the packaging given the way the box was crushed ( it took me over an hour to box it securely ). Perhaps it should have been in a steel box!

I will post pics of the damage on several bike forums, which will undoubtedly lose them many potential customers, as selling/swapping bikes and bike parts is very popular on these forums and provides parcel carriers with a lot of business.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-19-12 at 11:59 AM.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    Update:

I've exchanged several emails with their claims team and am going round in circles. They say that, although I was insured, their small print says that I must have proof of value to claim. I explained I don't have proof as it was an old mid-range bike, although in great condition. I gave them examples of what similar frames have sold for recently, but it appears that this isn't good enough.

I think I'm in for a long ride here but I will quite enjoy it. It's not the money, it's not worth a lot and I can afford to lose it, but it's the principle that they should make up in some way for trashing a good frame by their clear negligence. There's been no hint of an apology for the damage.

They'll find it difficult to blame the packaging given the way the box was crushed ( it took me over an hour to box it securely ). Perhaps it should have been in a steel box!

I will post pics of the damage on several bike forums, which will undoubtedly lose them many potential customers, as selling/swapping bikes and bike parts is very popular on these forums and provides parcel carriers with a lot of business.

Don't you have a sales agreement with the buyer? *That* is the value. Plain and simple. The market value of that item is well established since it was damaged as part of a sale, right?
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Continents apart but Yodel exists in the UK. They took over another company and "Tried" to expand the business without much success. I know their reputation is not that good over here and I do not know the reason why but Yodel is the last company to try for shipments as they are lower than the good old tried and tested carrier called "Royal Mail"

Hope their Insurance is better than the UK reputation.
    The OP lives in Cardiff. We have problems if Wales is continents apart from the UK.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast