Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-12, 07:46 AM   #1
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What I saw on the ride today.

I can tell you it was completely unexpected. With the weather we have had recently I looked at the forecast last night and providing it was correct-I could get a ride in today. Wasn't going to be that warm- only about 36F but no rain and minimal wind. So 10 am and I got changed into the riding gear with the extras of the Assos Winter jacket and the tights. Haven't used either so far this year but it wasn't too warm. Took the ski mask with me aswell but in the back pocket.

Decided on a gentle ride to see how the legs and lungs had fared after the enforced break I have had. Must be a month since I had done a ride in excess of 15 miles and subject to how I felt- this was going to be longer. Well the legs are OK but the lungs still need a bit of clearing out.--------Or do they? For the first part of the ride down to the coast I managed to put pressure on the legs but kept cadence down just a bit to save the lungs. Hills were taken with a bit in reserve but seemed to be faster and at least one gear higher than normal. 10 miles later and coffee time but in not too bad a time considering how I was saving myself. Ride back home and instead of going home- extended up the MUP to add an extra 10 miles.

So 30 miles done and Although I thought the ride was done gently-It was done at an average of 14mph so is on par with this sort of ride over this terrain. Lungs did improve a bit but they do need some work on them before tackling the steep hilly rides.

But the unexpected thing I saw on the ride?--It is in the top left hand corner of the pic. It wasn't forecast and as rain is forecast for the next week- I may not see it again before christmas.

So it looks as though it won't take too long for me to get back into shape for those gruelling Pie rides my mates have planned over their Xmas break.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun ride..jpg (100.1 KB, 64 views)

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 07:52 AM   #2
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's the "sun". It provides light and warmth. We see it almost every day here in the desert.
k7baixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 07:56 AM   #3
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Could you feel any heat from it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun%20ride_.jpg (93.0 KB, 10 views)

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 08:21 AM   #4
NOS88

Bikes:
Today is the first day in some time that we're seeing much of our mother star in the Philadelphia area. I almost feel giddy.
Old 12-18-12, 08:25 AM   #5
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve
Looks like you got a good ride. I know how you feel about old sol. It's been so gloomy and overcast here--combined with the winter solstice nearing--that I have taken to using my bike lights even in mid-day.
climberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 09:13 AM   #6
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Good to finally read a ride post form you, Stap. That strange object in the picture found its way over the Atlantic and is floating over us right now. Sunday and Monday were gray and rainy, today is just plain, stomp down fantastic. A long ride, for me, is in order this afternoon, after work. Sounds like your day was much better than the last month had been in the U.K., weather wise. Any idea how long this might last?

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 10:26 AM   #7
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where I took this pic is one of my favourite views. The hill on the Horizon is the end of the South Downs before they drop into the sea and re-appear in France. Only 800ft high but it does take some effort to get to the top. Most of the ride was under Cloud cover and this spot was appreciably warmer. So much so that I had to unzip the winter jacket --but not for long. As soon as I went into the shade of trees it cooled down again.

And interesting point. Shower this morning and I weighed 147 lbs--my norm as such. Light breakfast and some cake at the Cafe and after ride shower and I had put on 3lbs. That cake must have been bigger than I thought.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 11:33 AM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Somehow, when I saw the title of the thread, my mind leapt to Dr. Seuss. That would have made a great Dr. Seuss book.

Glad you are getting back on the road. I hope that those Zonies will quit hogging that yellow shiny thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 11:47 AM   #9
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post

Glad you are getting back on the road. I hope that those Zonies will quit hogging that yellow shiny thing.
Never!!!!!
k7baixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-12, 02:00 PM   #10
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote