Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess we're here to stay.

We've been in FL for about 5 weeks and looking around and trying to decide about a house. We decided that the house we're in temporarily (opton to buy at a very good price) is just too big for us (~3000 sq ft) and would be too much work to clean and maintain.
    So today we took the plunge and bought a house in Brentwood in Citrus Hills (just west of Hernando, FL). Its about 6+ miles from the Withlacoochee Trail (Hernando trailhead). I can ride my bike to the trail and by the time I get there I'll be warmed up and ready for some "hard riding".
    Its about 19 miles to the Suncoast Trail.
    But the house has to be built first (we were told 6-8 months). We just picked the lot and house we wanted today -- and paid the down payment $$$$$$. We'll be in Homosassa (in the BIG house) till the house is finished.
    I'll keep you posted.

Who wants to join me on some rides?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't where it is but it sounds good. I might want to retire to the Sunshine State someday.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many N+1's fit in 3000 square feet?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good show. You're going to love it there. My time in the area was just a bit east of there (Mt Dora and points east). I'm still contemplating relocating to the eastern coast of Fl at about the same latitude.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Ron. As I look at my forecast or the next few days, I wish I was there with you.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like an exciting time to me. Enjoy the new project of building a home. A word of caution, if you let it, building a new home can deeply cut into your riding time.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Florida Ron! The area that you are selecting is a really nice place with lots of places to ride. The Withlacoochee Trail is awesome as is the Suncoast Trail. I ride the Suncost trail quite often but I start from the opposite end of the trail. When you get settled in, let me know and maybe we can get a ride scheduled.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^
    I been riding the Suncoast most rides since we moved here. The northern trailhead is about 10 miles from the BIG house in Homosassa. Haven't ridden in a few days so I'll be heading out that way shortly.
    I haven't ridden south of Anderson Snow park. The traffic gets crazy and annoying from there south.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MS 150 is coming up in April and I go to the Suncoast Trail to work the hills as they are somewhat similar to those on the MS 150 route. Anderson Snow Park is where we normally start and go north to 98. When I ride the trail solo, I will put in at the VanDyke trailhead (in Hillsborough County) or at the SR 54 trailhead (in Pasco County) and ride north. It gets flatter as you go south from Anderson Snow. The only thing I don't like about the Suncoast is that there isn't much shade along the route and the longer your ride is, the grimmer you get from the cars on the parkway, especially during the summer.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys really make me anxious for our trip down there in the Spring. Of course, we have to do our time in Hawaii first; such a price.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would enjoy seeing pctures of these places.
    Last edited by billydonn; 12-20-12 at 01:57 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Aspect 29er HT, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imma Florida native,,I have lived elswhere,,

I always return to my home, I like my Gators and mosquitos,, and the Hurricanes,,
    we can see em comming for a week or more..
    Earthquakes and Tornados scare me

What do hurricanes dream about while crossing the Atlantic Ocean ?

Trailerparks XD
    Scott Aspect 940 29er, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the Suncoast is that there isn't much shade along the route and the longer your ride is, the grimmer you get from the cars on the parkway, especially during the summer.
    The traffic "noise" hasn't bothered me yet. Although as I said it gets crazy and annoying south of Anderson Snow. Thats why I turn around there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    I would enjoy seeing pctures of these places.
    TrailViewMount has some great shots of his travels around the south.
    http://www.trailviewmount.com/