Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-1. I sold my mountain bike today

Almost 5 years ago, I bought my first full suspension MTB, a 2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26". I had bought it with my team discount for racing the 2007 XC series for my LBS's team. Those races taught me that I really liked riding mountain bikes, but hated racing them. It also taught me that the hardtail bike I raced, a 2006 Rockhopper was not enough bike for the riding I liked to do, especially with my back problems. The Stumpjumper, with its 120 mm travel front and rear, turned out to be a game changer. I found that it was much more capable of carrying me through the many rocks and roots on the trails around here. To my surprise, it even climbed as well or better than the hardtail once I learned how to ride it. I wondered why I had waited so long to go for a full suspension bike.

The bike has been exceptionally reliable. I probably could have kept riding it for years to come, but test rides on a few 29ers over the past year awoke my new bike lust. I decided to sell the stumpy and get a full suspension 29er. I test rode several. I narrowed the field to either a Santa Cruz Tallboy LTa or a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp. I could have been happy with either, but a better deal and the familiar feel of the big stumpy,along with the trouble free experience with my current bike tipped the scales to the Specialized bike.

I put out the word that my bike was up for sale and had a few people interested right away. A guy test rode it
    Sunday and immediately offered my asking price. Today, he picked it up and paid me. Tomorrow my new bike will arrive at the shop where I work and I'll assemble it myself. I'll miss the bike. It has been a good one. But I'm looking forward to drinking the 29er koolaid.

Stumpy

Talon 050408 by BluesDawg, on Flickr
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice BD. Have fun with the new bike.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N-1 with a quick N+1 to follow.... now that makes sense. But, be careful with the koolaid. It can become habit forming.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    29'ers are the ticket. I have a Stumpjumper Comp HT and love it.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have not ridden a 29er, and I guess I'm 29er curious. A friend has a Tallboy carbon, and I wanted to try it on our last ride together but it didn't happen.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts about the new ride after you put some saddle time in, keep us updated, please.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I still have not ridden a 29er, and I guess I'm 29er curious. A friend has a Tallboy carbon, and I wanted to try it on our last ride together but it didn't happen.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts about the new ride after you put some saddle time in, keep us updated, please.
    You really have to ride one to determine if it is for you. I find 29ers fun for more flowy trails but don't like them for tight technical single track. Rider preference.

My Bikes
    2 rideable, 5. in pieces
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about a 29er mountain bike having heard good stories about them, but at 5'8" I think I could look like a little kid on his big brother's bike.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are having a ton of funT AWESOME! I am partial to the Tallboy, very well reviewed bike. But a 29 Stumper is hard to beat as well. Congrats, and ride well.
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, got the 29er bug and bought one this summer. Rode hard tails and full sus. Ended up with a Giant Anthem X1. It is a far cry from my 1994 SWorks FSR! Love the 29 platform and do not find it at all a problem in tight twisty stuff, which is what we have here in SW Michigan. I think the kool-aide tastes great!!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N+1 is in the house!
    thebikeathome.jpg
    It arrived at the shop this afternoon and I spent the rest of the rainy afternoon assembling it there and brought it home in the dark. Hope to get a very short ride tomorrow before work. Will be Sunday before I'll get to take it out for a real ride.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N - 1 + 1 = N

Have fun.

What bike are you thinking about next?
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can now better understand why the Specialized came out ahead. Lots of of similarities to the Dog's colors.........Great, great looking bike by the way.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    I've thought about a 29er mountain bike having heard good stories about them, but at 5'8" I think I could look like a little kid on his big brother's bike.
    My height as well. I tried a Specialized 29er hardtail on the street at the LBS. It felt not quite right. Not sure if a custom size would work better.

I also tried a ti Moots YBB 26er at another LBS and was knocked out with the way it felt even tooling around the neighborhood on the pavement.

Also researching all the latest stuff about the 650b. That might be more for me. I spoke to someone at Moots and they are starting production in Jan. on the 650 YBBs.
    http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2003 Litespeed Classic Ultegra

2004 Ellsworth Truth XT

My Bikes
    Sun Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3, Scott Spark 760, Walmart Thruster 700c single speed..
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has to be the best looking mountain bike I have ever seen XD
    Scott Spark 760, Tour Easy LE, Sun EZ-3 sx, Walmart Thruster :P

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It occurs to me that I've never actually ridden a suspension bike. There's an idea for n+1, although since I live in NYC I wouldn't have much use for it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post
    The Santa Cruz Superlight 29 size small has the lowest standover height and least toe overlap of any FS 29er I know about. 650B might be a good option for shorter riders, too. Some (but not all) of the big wheel dynamics but closer to 26" bike geometry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
    My height as well. I tried a Specialized 29er hardtail on the street at the LBS. It felt not quite right. .
    I went back again to the LBS and tried the carbon Stumpjumper 29er hardtail in a medium frame. The geometry must've been different from the other lower end HD I tried because this was a good fit. The seat was a little low but it certainly didn't feel like I was sitting up too high as on the other one.

I was eyeballing the Stumpjumper FSR 29 Comp they had. They have it available has a demo bike for a $100. I'm considering paying the dough and trying it out. They said it's their most popular seller. I kinda had my heart set on a titanium hardtail but this is certainly more doable price wise. Definitely a nice looking bike. Congrats on your purchase BD.
    http://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2003 Litespeed Classic Ultegra

2004 Ellsworth Truth XT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own both a 29er (Redline Monocog Flight set up as a single-speed) and a 26er (Santa Cruz Blur LTC) and between the two I prefer the 26er. 29ers are fun, roll and descend great, but my 26er climbs better and all-around handles better, especially on tight, twisty stuff. But it really comes down to individual preference.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a matter of individual preference. 26" bikes are great and I've had a lot of fun on mine, but from the first time I rode a 29er about a year ago, I knew my next bike would be one. The way the big wheels roll over rocks and roots and the way they hook up on climbs were what got my attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is so neat about full sus is the ability to tune the suspension front and rear to behave in a certain way. We have a trail here with a section that has some real neat turns carved into hill sides (the trail is carved into ravines) and I discovered that I can adjust the suspension to squat when entering the turns, utilizing the g forces to help me carve them at a faster speed. Pretty neat stuff and fun! My riding buddy who is a complete natural on the mtn bike, is amazed how I can stick with him through this section.
    Last edited by TiHabanero; 12-22-12 at 06:26 AM.