Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to get N+1 without a fight.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 03:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I hate online shopping---It's too expensive. Just ordered the go pro that I had been thinking about and Amazon had the best price.

Have over the last month been looking at a few other items for the house and just placed them in the "Wish List". On ordering the Camera-I noted that wish list and deleted a few things but placed the items I really want in the Basket. With what I ordered-I won't be riding much in the early part of the year. I'll be too busy sorting the Campavan out and putting the storage up in the bike shed.

And a word of experience--If you want something as expensive as this- then use the right tactics. Yesterday went out to get the final Christmas presents with the wife. I went into a camera shop to see if they do the Go Pro and they didn't. Ready to go but the wife was looking at a few cameras. Her old one is a bit basic for what she uses it for and it does need replacing. So she got a camera and it left it wide open for me to get the Go Pro.

Only sometimes it gets unfair. A Few years ago I bought I bought Boreas to augment the OCR3 that was no longer up to my standard. I got a bit of stick over that as Boreas was not cheap. 6 months later and into the LBS and was not even looking for a bike except they came up with a deal on a TCR carbon that was too good to refuse and that was after mentioning that the OCR was not being ridden much. Used my loaf and That cost me a new kitchen. Then a couple of years later--I wanted to get some credit in the household and bought the wife a new car. Didn't use that credit till this year when I bought the Pinnie.

So come the new year--Get Christmas over and dusted first- and before looking at N+1 for you- Look at getting your credit rating up by buying your wife something she really wants first.

And a new fridge for the household doesn't count-not personal enough- Unless it comes with that new kitchen.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-21-12, 05:10 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
LOL Sounds like an exercise in cooperative manipulation! And sounds like everyone's happy with the results!
So how about some pics of those acquisitions ? The Pinerello AND the new kitchen!
Old 12-21-12, 06:24 PM

Bikes: 2013 BMC GRAN FONDO GF01, 2010 SPECIALIZED ROUBAIX, 2004 TREK FX7000, 2013 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
n+1 cost me some diamond earrings. was it worth it? Yes.
Old 12-21-12, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My wife has a horse, so I'm always covered. I'm not saying that as if it's a good thing.
Old 12-21-12, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stay single. Ordering stays simple.
Old 12-21-12, 07:47 PM
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Asking forgiveness never permission
Old 12-22-12, 01:15 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Asking forgiveness never permission
Forgiveness can take a long time coming in this houshold

The Pinnie is my current "Daily" ride as it is only the lowly FP UNO. I say "Only" but it is a Pinnie. Rides well and the name has bling and rides better than other Ally Tiagra equipped bikes I tested. This must have been on the shakedown ride as The bars had not been height adjusted . It does it's job of saving Boreas and the TCR from "Overuse" and rides very well for a cheap bike.

The kitchen was also done cheap skate. Bought good units and hired a plumber to fit after I had assembled the units. Could have fitted it but Plumbing is not one of my skills and he as he is a neighbour- I saw the quality of his kitchen that he had fitted and he only charged me for the two days labour. So it cost me about £2,000 instead of the £5.000 I had been quoted. The Car though and I was well out of pocket on the deal. £7,000 for a VW Fox and the Pinnie was just over £1200 and was a very much discounted price on both. I strike a hard bargain when this much money is involved.

But the wifes camera was about even. I had researched the GO Pro so knew the model I wanted. The choice of the camera was an Impulse buy though. She saw it- I checked out for spec up against others and price- but she wanted it and I know better than to argue. It is a Canon SX40HS if any of you know cameras and While she was looking- I checked reviews on line. Got it with about 1/3rd off the price although she still came out better by the time the bag- the memory card and a few extras were bought. Never know- I might need a few "Extras" for the Go Pro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00189.jpg (101.6 KB, 27 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 12-22-12, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
How it works in our house.I bought a new bike recently.The wife asked me why I spent 2 grand on a bicycle.I replied would you rather me spend it in the pub.She mumbled something and let it go.I bought another bike and was asked why I spent the money on the bike.I said I wanted it.I should have used the pub excuse again that worked pretty well.So she comes home with a cell phone ipad thing.When I asked why she spent over 300 on a cell phone she replied I wanted it.Shorty after home comes a 600 dollar pocket book.I think you know the answer, Because I wanted it. PS could you edit that new kitchen part out of your post
Old 12-22-12, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
So far my new ti frame and full sus mountain bike this year are costing me 35k, not the original 5k price tag because the wife is getting her new kitchen. Nice thing is we both benefit from it, and I get the added bonus of the new bikes!
Old 12-22-12, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
So far my new ti frame and full sus mountain bike this year are costing me 35k, not the original 5k price tag because the wife is getting her new kitchen. Nice thing is we both benefit from it, and I get the added bonus of the new bikes!
I have absolutely no problem with the wife on anything that I buy, including new bikes, as we both have our own checking accounts. However, I think she would be a little more than po'd if the accounts were joint and I got $35,000 worth of bikes and all she got was a new kitchen. Just saying!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-22-12, 09:23 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I have absolutely no problem with the wife on anything that I buy, including new bikes, as we both have our own checking accounts. However, I think she would be a little more than po'd if the accounts were joint and I got $35,000 worth of bikes and all she got was a new kitchen. Just saying!
Maybe I read that wrong, but I'm thinkin' the bikes cost him $35,000 because he added the cost of a new kitchen into the purchase price of the bikes. A $30,000 kitchen would keep most women happy and - he gets to enjoy it too.
Anyway - thats how I read things.
Old 12-22-12, 09:29 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Humorous topic. We have separate accounts but I often get the question "How much did THAT cost?" I sometimes say "way less than your annual shoe budget."
Old 12-22-12, 09:40 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I made the ultimate sacrifice - I bought the bike for HER!
Already have more bikes than I can drive but really liked that model.

Yeah - it's her size - not mine, and ...... she wants pink on it.
Old 12-22-12, 11:15 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I supplied bikes to X-GF's, never able to buy them houses, so i'm still single,
now at 65 my hormones are in remission

and even sex, the drive linked to hormones, does not matter anymore.
Old 12-22-12, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Many years ago, my wife got a swimming pool and I got a Porsche. The pool was new, the Porsche was pre-owned. We were both very happy.
Old 12-22-12, 03:44 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny thing about swimming pools- I got a bike shed out of that deal.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-22-12, 04:56 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
Maybe I read that wrong, but I'm thinkin' the bikes cost him $35,000 because he added the cost of a new kitchen into the purchase price of the bikes. A $30,000 kitchen would keep most women happy and - he gets to enjoy it too.
Anyway - thats how I read things.
I read it again, I think your version is correct.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 12-22-12, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in the don't ask for permission , beg for forgiveness camp. 34 years of being forgiven. Ocassionally , I receive a lecture of all my sins. The Mrs memory is quite remarkable. Able to provide a full recital on a moments notice.

On the flip side , I bring in 80% of the income and let her manage 100% of the money. My sins never amounted to more than 5% of total income - so it's hard to feel guilty about that and I don't.

Recently we came up with a new initiative where I get 5% of my income to do as I pleased. So my spending going forward should no longer fall into the sinful category. I suspect my wife is in a unique position -but she actually manages money quite well ( very conservative in her spending)- far better than most woman and better than most men as well - so I have no complaints.

Last edited by Bikehog; 12-22-12 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Grimmer
Old 12-22-12, 08:26 PM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
One of my friends got her new bike when her husband got his new zero-radius mower, and it was a "You can get this if I can get that" kind of deal. I think one thing that's happening is they're realizing they should get some of these toys while they're young enough to enjoy them.

My last bike came out of my Christmas bonus.
Old 12-22-12, 08:30 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
I'm really lucky, my wife would buy me ANYTHING I wanted, IF we had the money, since we don't, I do my best not to "test the limits" very often.

Old 12-22-12, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Burton got it right. The bikes cost me 35k because I added the price of the kitchen that was required to keep the wife happy. Now the mention of the Porsche reminds me of the fling I had with a 914/6. I sold it a year after purchase. The Mrs. just couldn't get over that one early on in our marriage.
Loved that car. Probably the best handling fast car I have driven to date (Of course I have not had the chance to drive a Ferrari). With a bit of sus mods and frame stiffeners the thing ate 'em up! Boy, what a great driving car!
Old 12-22-12, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
n+1 = n+1 for me.

Buy a Ti bike and the order becomes 2. Buy a touring frame and the order becomes 2. Buy a tandem... well that's already a two. Now it looks like buying a Bike Friday NWT will become 2. And a high-wheel recumbent, when we get around to it, will become 2.

Fortunately, CF is off the list, because Machka doesn't like the material, and I got mine before she moved to Australia to live.
Old 12-23-12, 11:14 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Rowan,
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-23-12, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Rowan,
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.

Bill
This is true, and what a ride it's been all the way!

And I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Old 12-23-12, 12:58 PM
rho

Bikes: Cervelo P1, Time RXRS, De Rosa King RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, BF proves to be a source of wisdom not only for servicing, riding and setting bikes, but to planning how to get'em too.

I'm currently single and willing to still be for at least 3 more years. Reading this thread gives me a lot of hope for the future guys, thanks a lot.

Meanwhile ill keep saving and hopefully buy a Ducati next year (Because once married I suppose it'll be hard to convince the lady)

Ronaldo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.