Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broke down and got a new pump

My new park Tool PFP-5 floor pump arrived yesterday, that gauge face is one of the largest I have seen for air pressure. After muscles, my son, blew the top off of the old Joe Blow pump we have had, ruining it in the process, I got tired of putting it back in place every time I pumped up the tyres, multiple times. I broke down and hit Amazon for a Park brand pump. Read a few comparison tests of floor pumps and made my decision after doing the on-line research. The PFP-4 rated a bit higher with its raised gauge but the sale price made this not relevant to me they are so close in performance in the various test I read. So a P+1 for me for the Christmas season.

Merry Christmas,
    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need the "NEW" wheels and tyres to go with it now
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Need the "NEW" wheels and tyres to go with it now
    +1
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get pumping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    WANT the "NEW" wheels and tyres to go with it now
    FIFY and me, there is a difference in need and want, and in my financial situation that is a want not a need. Not that a nice set of 36h, Mavic rim, DTSwiss spokes and Shimano Ultegra level hubs wouldn't be a bad thing, just not the smart thing to do. Oh and I get to do the build along with a park Tool truing stand, wheel dish tool and tensiometer. Tyres are pretty much new, though, that is the bright spot in the dark part.

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in knowing what you think of the pump after using it for a bit.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know if you like it better than the Joe Blow. My Joe Blow is 6-7 years old. Time for a new one?
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will let everyone know how the Park works out after a while. Ron, I wasn't trying to buy another brand out of frustration, the pump just got abused by my son, I should have schooled him about a presta valve's use, I didn't and I paid the price, he had only used Schrader valve on his MTB and freestyle bikes while he was growing up. If your Joe Blow still works I'd keep it, grease the valve o-ring and if needed rebuild the head. My JB's pump rod and its collar were ruined, I just kept using it and tried to fix it, unsuccessfully.

The tests and product reviews I read made me choose the Park, I have several of their tools and like the quality of their build and materials. I'll probably find out the the Park PFP-5 is made by someone else for them and could be had for less, just do not know. I know of riders with floor pumps much older than mine was, simple maintenance makes them keep on doing fine. It was only a personal decision based on research and honestly, price, not going to go any further on that. If I had the money a Silca would be my choice, but then so would a nice C&V steel frame with all NR components.

Ride Safe and Ride Lots,
    Bill

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a PFP5 for a few months and so far I'm pleased. I don't use ultra-high pressure (only 100 lbs), but at least it's not leaking like my old cheap Zefal did after I got off the fat 26" tires. In general it would be nice to have more metal and less plastic in the pump, but that's nothing specific to the PFP5. I like the large dial and the chuck / finger latch design seems to work very well.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after a lifetime of breaking stuff myself I am careful with my stuff. my son will be 17 in a week, and I've warned him about breaking stuff. it seems kids just don't realize that as they get to be adult size they have to think about the breakability of things.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I respect floor pump people so please don't hack at me. But I thought I would share the 2nd pump below cuz there may be some out there who would like it.

I have one of these but had to cut the hose and get the right fitting for my schrader valves
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051

home depot just starting carry this model and it caught my eye because of the schrader valve tip
    Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-21-12 at 01:27 PM.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    3Rensho, Merlin XL, Melton custom, Michael Johnson tandem, Look 481SL, Pedal Force RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've a couple of the pfp-3s and if the quality is consistent you should have no issues for years to come. They have a decent chuck design, and I like them better than the classic Silca track pump because I had a friend of mine's Silca rip the valve stem off a tube because it wouldn't release. Stroke and volume are pretty good, too, as it doesn't take an endless # of strokes to get a tire to pressure.

Has your son gotten a lesson on how to use it, yet?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a fellow Engineer I can really appreciate the large gauge...along with functionality and craftsmanship!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Not that a nice set of 36h, Mavic rim, DTSwiss spokes and Shimano Ultegra level hubs wouldn't be a bad thing, just not the smart thing to do. .
    This is a good start. I just ordered these last week, waiting for delivery. front hub is $74 alone local so $121 for the set is great. Worth picking up and holding for a build later. Then you just need the rims and spokes at later date when you got a little extra cash. I plan to build the back and hold onto the front for later.

Seems the price just dropped to $121 and they have the 105 set for $60

$121
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...00/shimhubr330

$60
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...pd/shimhubr492

SHIMHUBR330_1_zoom by gulpxtreme, on Flickr

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    I respect floor pump people so please don't hack at me. But I thought I would share the 2nd pump below cuz there may be some out there who would like it.

I have one of these but had to cut the hose and get the right fitting for my schrader valves

home depot just starting carry this model and it caught my eye because of the schrader valve tip
    How COULD you?

The sad thing is that the one compressor doesn't cost much more than my current floor pump. Still, after having blown a tire off a rim when using a gas station air hose, I just am afraid of those things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would have loved a compressor type pump, we had many air tools when my son worked as a mechanic during high school at the Toyota dealer. No problem except the cost right now. Certainly not going to Hack you about those suggestions, that what we post about.

Dudelsack, a regulator set at the correct pressure would prevent the accidental blow offs, I could make a presta adapter easily, we have air hose fittings and crimps at work.

The PFP-5 is rated at 22 strokes to 120 psi, not to bad.

t4mv, our son got the lesson the same day when he showed me what he had done, sheepishly.

Jppe, yep those are my reasons, too.

Billydonn, as long as I can count on others like yourself to post the pics I don't bother, scolding only lasts as long as I read the reply.

For those that don't want the plastic, folding feet the PFP-4 has an aluminum base foot and its gauge is farther up the cylinder foeasy reading. Same ratings and a slight bit heavier. The pump worked fine when I tried it out, the latch is easy to use, got the correct pressure quickly. Good to go, so far.

Bill

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    For those that don't want the plastic, folding feet the PFP-4 has an aluminum base foot and its gauge is farther up the cylinder foeasy reading. Same ratings and a slight bit heavier. The pump worked fine when I tried it out, the latch is easy to use, got the correct pressure quickly. Good to go, so far.

Bill
    Oh, and I have no complaints at all operationally about the plastic. So far, so good. Of course, I'd like to see the feet made of titanium, the handle CF and the piston/cylinder of unobtainium... all for the same price as plastic!
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I would like to be handsome and smart,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ain't gonna happen though.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 years ago I was a mountain biker and had a couple of floor pumps. Both worked and did the job but were nothing special. Presta and high pressure showed the faults with these pumps and I had to get a decent one for the road tyres. Went to the LBS and they suggested the same one as they use in the shop. I asked if it worked and they gave me a couple of tyres to inflate. It worked and better than I imagined so they gave me another wheel and said 200 PSI in this one. That took some effort but it got there and I walked out of the shop with a pump I knew worked.

I doubt that I will be buying another floor Pump but if I was I would like to be able to try it or get one that from recommendation I know would work. The Park tool is a good choice.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    This is a good start. I just ordered these last week, waiting for delivery. front hub is $74 alone local so $121 for the set is great. Worth picking up and holding for a build later. Then you just need the rims and spokes at later date when you got a little extra cash. I plan to build the back and hold onto the front for later.

Seems the price just dropped to $121 and they have the 105 set for $60

$121
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...00/shimhubr330

$60
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...pd/shimhubr492

SHIMHUBR330_1_zoom by gulpxtreme, on Flickr
    You perfer cup and cone over Cartrage? I had to replace my Dura Ace wheels so I got a set of hand builts with Hope Road hubs. So far I have been impressed. Not that I ever had much trouble with the Dura Ace hubs.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever my old Zefal Husky pump wears out, I'd like a new pump with a larger gauge mounted higher on the pump for easier reading, but it's only 20 years old and still going strong.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
    You perfer cup and cone over Cartrage? I had to replace my Dura Ace wheels so I got a set of hand builts with Hope Road hubs. So far I have been impressed. Not that I ever had much trouble with the Dura Ace hubs.
    I'm just sticking with Shimano cause I've never had a problem with them. Still riding some Shimano 600 hubs front and rear since 1998, Ultegra and Dura Ace rear hubs since 2005, 105 hubs since 1998. With 70,000+ miles and never having a problem, why change?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beanz,
    Those Ultegra hubs would be just peachy. I like the quality of the Ultegra line and its finish is classic. Some swagged DTSwiss spokes, a pair of Mavic rims and my Gatorskins would be just right for what I want to do in the future. Cup and cone does not bother me, either. Cartridge bearings are handy and reliable, sometimes the old stuff is what I am after though.

Bill

western Massachusetts (greater Springfield area)
    My Bikes
    Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent, Cignal tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a compresser, but I only use it as an inflater for car tires. It takes longer to pull it out, plug it in and wait for it to come up to pressure than to grab the floor pump and do it by hand for bike tires. The compresser also makes a racket.
    Regarding wheel bearings, IMHO cup and cone are superior in almost every way to cartridge bearing for this application. They will last forever if properly maintained, you don't need special tools to change them (well, a cone wrench) if not properly maintained, and by their design they handle lateral loads better. I had a set of Mavic wheels, now have Shimano, and would not go back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast