Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LBS as the modern day barber shop?

“Men like to socialize as much as women and barbershops have always been the place to go. Visiting the barbershop was a weekly and sometimes daily habit. Men would stop not only for a haircut or shave, but also to talk with friends and chew the fat.” ----- And so begins the opening of an online site discussing Germans from Russia heritage.

So, I’m curious about how many of us have a LBS that is more in sync with what is described above. Is it a place to hang and “chew the fat”, or is it something else?

I ask, in part, because yesterday I found myself thinking, “I might just shoot on over to the bike shop to see what’s going on.” I didn’t really need anything. I just wanted to stop in and say hello to the folks there. I wouldn’t stay long, may 10 to 15 minute. But in that short time I would be greeted with smiles and a few laughs would be had. I’d probably pick up an extra inner tube on the way out. But, if I’m really honest with myself, that’s not why I’d go.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've stopped in to chat. Sometimes I end up buying something. The owner doesn't seem to mind as he's stated before that he appreciates all the business I've given him. I know I don't spend as much as many of his customers, but he knows I prefer to buy from him rather than someone else, even if it possibly costs me a little more. Often he'll meet or beat a price I've mentioned.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself going there infrequently to talk with staff. I think it would be a great idea for them to set aside a small place to sit, have coffee and talk cycling. I might even suggest it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the other side, I appreciate the being part of the community*, When I moved here, there was a couch and a table with magazines on it, now newer management , infilled with more inventory.

..* or what is left of community, as competition for zero sum, primitive accumulation overwhelms it.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For at least one friendly and hospitable LBS owner the barbershop effect posed enough of a problem for his business that he first hid the coffee pot and finally removed all seating. He considered them sweet old guys but grew tired of providing a club house.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a Hot Stove League without an interesting subject (to me) like baseball or football to discuss. I'd rather watch a movie or football game on TV with my wife. Don't feel obligated to buy something either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Lexington Road was once located Cyclers Cafe. It was a combination of bike store and taco stand. It was a great place to grab a taco after a ride. The mayor would also often have lunch there. That was good, because he was a cycling enthusiast and added a lot to the cycling infrastructure.

Alas, it was one of the zillions of small businesses that bit the dust over the past four years.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tavern/ bike shop combo.. so sitting around, BS-ing there is still having a commodity to sell ..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    For at least one friendly and hospitable LBS owner the barbershop effect posed enough of a problem for his business that he first hid the coffee pot and finally removed all seating. He considered them sweet old guys but grew tired of providing a club house.
    Yep...we guys don't have the quilting, knitting or crotcheting places that women our age have.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LBS as the modern day barber shop?

Not a chance. Barbershops were full of real men who wore plaid flannel, hunted and fished, read Playboy and drank whiskey in camp. Bike shop denizens wear gayly-colored spandex and pretend that riding foo-foo, overpriced kids' toys really means something.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit my LBS 4-5 times a week. Typically its just social. If he's busy, I make myself scarce pretty quickly. If not, I might spend an hour or two. I live in a resort area, so usually things go pretty slowly in the cold months.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Not a chance. Barbershops were full of real men who wore plaid flannel, hunted and fished, read Playboy and drank whiskey in camp. Bike shop denizens wear gayly-colored spandex and pretend that riding foo-foo, overpriced kids' toys really means something.
    I'd be hesitant to go into a barber shop and ask to have my legs shaved.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This concept of LBS-as-barber-shop was the whole point of Maynard Hershon's classic Winning magazine columns (and subsequent book) Tales from the Bike Shop.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    This concept of LBS-as-barber-shop was the whole point of Maynard Hershon's classic Winning magazine columns (and subsequent book) Tales from the Bike Shop.
    I was not aware of this. I'll have to look for the book.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In larger areas, many bike shops serve this function and have even go as far as to have coffee bars installed in their shops, among other amenities. There's one like this Piermont, NY, which is a frequent stop for NYC-area cyclists, and Toga in nearby Nyack offers this function. There's also several other places in Nyack that go far to attract cyclists. Generally, the people who grumble about the crowds that gather at these places are those who are shopping for something else and/or own some kind of shop that doesn't attract cyclists.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drop by occasionally, and Kurt knows be by name, and is very friendly, and always introduces me to whoever might also be there. However it is a very small shop, and both Kurt and I know that time is money to him - he has a clientele with no shortage of money, provides top-quality work in an area where the average household income is $125,000+, and is much in demand, and charges accordingly. His is a relatively new bike shop in the area, and specializes only in road bikes.

So, I say hi, spend a couple of minutes shooting the breeze and then say goodbye. He knows he will not get rich off of me, but he also knows I have lots of contacts. And, he is a very nice and decent person (former pastor for 20 years). I don't know how a barbershop-type LBS could survive for long.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 12-21-12 at 01:29 PM.
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heck, I stop in just to do interviews. My bud started his own shop so I spoke with him a while (video 1 of 3)

But when I do stop in to buy something, Gina will visit the surrounding shops in the area knowing that getting a tube can take an hour.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother goes to the country club every sat and sun morning for breakfast and to pick a game (golf). I've often wished a similar thing existed for bike rides. I'd go hang out for an early coffee and see who showed up looking for a ride partner.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine, the one I go to and support with ALL of my business, has a counter in front of the mechanic's area with stools around it. It's where people congregate and chat while the mechanic does his mechanic stuff... They openly and directly invite people to stop in and then thank them for coming when they leave.
    ... they form an informal support group for local cyclists...

Conversely, a sister shop owned by the same person does not invite conversation at all. It's all business. If you don't plan on buying something you don't go in... But, on the flip side, they also organize and sponsor a number of group rides -- so it's not like they aren't supporting the sport.

But, of the two, I prefer the first kind.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This whole barbershop thing is really chapping my hide. I've been bald since I was 32. How is THIS supposed to make me feel? And I sometimes put some vodka in my caramel macchiatos when I want to throw caution to the wind. Doesn't that count for something?

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see it now. an army surplus, guns and ammo,hunting, fishing, ATV, bike shop.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the Bike Shop as Barber Shop bit this morning after I left the office. I knew that the mechs would be busy assembling bikes but Tom always enjoys chatting between customers. I always stay out of the way and when a customer is asking him or the other guys/gals a question or buying something I stay out of ear shot and mind my own business. They have boxes of Clif Bars and Honey Stingers out for individual sale and he ends up giving away many to buyers and regulars. We reminisce about the "old days in the 70's", today's topic was wool shorts with real leather chamois and how much more comfortable they were and old school crocheted back leather riding gloves (he has these in stock BTW.)

I am also lucky enough to have an honest to God barber shop I use, 4 male barbers, hunting and fishing magazines, newspapers, football memorabilia and televisions on hunting channels. If you don't think hunters and fishermen have toys you need to get in on a discussion about boats or ATV's and their gear that they buy like we do components, upgrade city. And I have on Khakis and a plaid sports shirt with work boots when I am there, Lycra kit would not work, as mentioned above.

Dudel, you want some cheese to go with that?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    I can see it now. an army surplus, guns and ammo,hunting, fishing, ATV, bike shop.
    Have it all right here. Everything but the bikes. A true ATF shop. The wooden bar was originally used at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair and is a real beauty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-21-12 at 04:39 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the LBS in my neighborhood has a social aspect to it. The mechanics are always friendly and helpful. Guess I'm not much of a conversationalist. I usually just go in, do my biz, and leave. Never went in just to chat.

BTW: I cut my own hair.

bad+haircut+kid.jpg

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike shop that used to be closest to my house was definitely one of those hang out and chat places. Unfortunately, they closed. There's another one downtown that's kind of like that, but it's 10 miles away. I still stopped in for a while on today's ride.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast