Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seal Skins don't work.

Well not if you put them under water.

No rain this morning for a change and temp not bad at around 50f. Only downer was the wind at 20 to 25 mph so out for a short ride to see how the floods are locally. Lots of fields that are rather waterlogged and Streams are now rivers and rivers are wider than they used to be by about 1/2 mile. Roads are OK with only a bit of standing water on the cambered corners so no real problem locally. To give you an idea- these two shots are looking out across the fields----And there is no River anywhere near it- Not even a stream but a lot of rain has come down in the last week or so.

DSC00018.jpg DSC00019.jpg

So where are the floods? Better find a river and se what is around that so on a few more miles to Alfriston. The town is fine where it is well above the river but that river has flooded. So have the roads as you can see by this lot

DSC00023.jpg DSC00024.jpg DSC00027.jpg

Not too deep but I will be saving the best till later when I can get You Tube to work properly. That view of the river shows Alfriston and it has been well designed over the years. All the OLD village is above any flood level and it is only a few buildings for the tourist's--like the loos and the car parks that are down by the river.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some pretty incredible pictures.

Just be careful. Flood waters that look calm and peaceful can hide nasty surprises.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, MAKE 'em work! Think of all those poor baby seals, clubbed to death so their skins can make your raingear!

That is some intense flooding you're having over there, while our States are in a knock-down drag-out fight (between fracking States up north, and barge traffic States to the south) over water in the Missouri river, as the Mississippi reaches record lows.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sealskinz gloves worked fine but as you can see from the pics- they don't work if you dunk them below water level. We know these roads and we took the centre of the road. Interesting point in that centrifugal force of the front wheel means that it is difficult to steer at speed when the hub is below water level. And the white lines are just as slippery under two feet of water as they are when just wet.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    The sealskinz gloves worked fine but as you can see from the pics- they don't work if you dunk them below water level. We know these roads and we took the centre of the road. Interesting point in that centrifugal force of the front wheel means that it is difficult to steer at speed when the hub is below water level. And the white lines are just as slippery under two feet of water as they are when just wet.
    Be mindful of your bottom bracket also. My son and I rode through some deep water once. My bottom bracket survived as the water had a way out, but his did not, as the water that entered was trapped. Neither of us thought about it at the time so we did not disassemble and dry.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics don't say a lot so here's a vid of part of the ride.

And another that was a foul trick played on Martyn. This is the South Downs Way as it leaves Alfriston and goes up the hills again. I told Martyn I wanted a pic showing the SDW Sign so he went to it and posed for me. For some reason I had trouble focusing the camera so he stayed there for a minute or so. I had no problem focusing but I just wanted him to get cold in the freezing water as he had ben splashing me in the Flooded parts. And there was no SDW sign here--it was behind me on the nice dry road.

AND scroca--This is England- We have special bottom brackets and wheel bearings and even headsets that never get wet. Must be the amount of grease we pack around them before we subject them to punishmnt like this on most winter rides.
    Last edited by stapfam; 12-23-12 at 10:52 AM.

Spike Milligan

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You certainly weren't kidding yesterday about the rain fall and flooding. I looked at the maps of the area and it is rolling hills so the low spots are the new rivers and ponds for your home area. Please be careful out in the slop Doug, we definitely do not need any injury threads from you.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They worked fine for the Seal, until the Seal was Skinned..
    Humans like settlements along rivers.

that often becomes a problem in those rivers, flooding out of their banks..

My home town , eventually decided to give a lot of river bed, back to the river,
    so reduced flooding.. they got used to seeing the muddy bottom , as it was exposed
    at low tide, though quite a ways from the Sea.