User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Elite vs. Specialized Crossroads sports disc

Ok, I am looking at these 2 bikes, like the tires and carbon fiber front end on the Elite, vs. the Crossroads with the wider tires and suspension forks with lockout. I do like the disc brakes on the Crossroads, but they are not a dealbreaker. I ride mainly on rural hiways and county roads, not much gravel or trail. I am leaning toward the Elite, they are priced comparable. I bought a Giant Sedona a few months back in a large frame, but need an XL. Just got back into riding after 45 years, but have put almost 500 miles on it in 3 months. Giant did not make the Sedona in a XL frame, and did not want to spend too much till I knew how much I'd like it. Well, I will be buying something different. Anyone with thoughts or experience, feel free to share opinions.
    Thanks in advance.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the elite is the Secteur elite, it looks like a much quicker bike. That's the one I would get, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of riding and don't have any particular back issues.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which model of Specialized bike is it that you like the Elite version?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I am looking at the base Sirrus Elite, retails for about $830, versus the Crosstrail Sport Disc(also retails for $830), not the Crossroads. I don't know how to change it in the subject line. Maybe a moderator can fix it for me please.
    Last edited by on2wheelsks; 12-24-12 at 07:10 AM.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the Sirrus. Suspension on a bike that will be ridden on the road is a waste of weight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, the extra weight and in the unlocked position, the loss of energy that the bounce takes away, are not worth it. The Sirrus is a much better road bike.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full disclosure: I work part time at a bike shop where Specialized is our major line.

Based on the limited description of your intended riding, I too would recommend the Sirrus. I don't see anything there to suggest that a suspension fork would be a benefit to offset the increased weight and complexity. The component specs of the two bikes are very close, with a very slight edge for the Sirrus. A change to 32mm tires would make the bike smoother and more stable on dirt roads and unpaved paths, if that was a need.
    The Sirrus and Tri-Cross lines are probably the most versatile road bikes we sell, depending on your preference for flat bars or drop bars.

My Bikes
    specalized sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I bought my bike, which is a Sirius, the LBS let me ride both of these. The suspension fork was noticeably less efficient. I see no need for disk brakes, the rim brakes on mine have been excellent, once I even did a stoppie dodging a left turner. I like in the flat, and I have no noticeable brake wear in 3K miles. I am about to go out and get in some more miles this afternoon when it gets above 35F

I really like my Sirius, very comfortable.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially appreciate your input, Bluesdawg, glad you have taken the time to help me make a choice. Hope my dealer has one in stock. If I have to order,how long is the delivery time? Just a general question. Thanks also to others that responded, and Happy Holidays!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same price and same manufacturer and without knowing the models- I would go with NO Suspension for your use.

Now I know one is a Sirrus-then subject to test ride being good- Go for it. Possibly the only "Hybrid" that I have liked.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on2wheelsks View Post
    Especially appreciate your input, Bluesdawg, glad you have taken the time to help me make a choice. Hope my dealer has one in stock. If I have to order,how long is the delivery time? Just a general question. Thanks also to others that responded, and Happy Holidays!
    Glad to help, but do talk it over with your local dealer and get a recommendation based on more information than I have. Looks like there are plenty of XL Sirrus Elites available in both colors in both the East and West warehouses, so they should be able to get you one within a few days.