Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-23-12, 08:47 PM   #1
on2wheelsks 

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specialized Elite vs. Specialized Crossroads sports disc

Ok, I am looking at these 2 bikes, like the tires and carbon fiber front end on the Elite, vs. the Crossroads with the wider tires and suspension forks with lockout. I do like the disc brakes on the Crossroads, but they are not a dealbreaker. I ride mainly on rural hiways and county roads, not much gravel or trail. I am leaning toward the Elite, they are priced comparable. I bought a Giant Sedona a few months back in a large frame, but need an XL. Just got back into riding after 45 years, but have put almost 500 miles on it in 3 months. Giant did not make the Sedona in a XL frame, and did not want to spend too much till I knew how much I'd like it. Well, I will be buying something different. Anyone with thoughts or experience, feel free to share opinions.
Thanks in advance.
on2wheelsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 09:31 PM   #2
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If the elite is the Secteur elite, it looks like a much quicker bike. That's the one I would get, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of riding and don't have any particular back issues.
Old 12-23-12, 10:03 PM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Which model of Specialized bike is it that you like the Elite version?
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 07:02 AM   #4
on2wheelsks 

Sorry, I am looking at the base Sirrus Elite, retails for about $830, versus the Crosstrail Sport Disc(also retails for $830), not the Crossroads. I don't know how to change it in the subject line. Maybe a moderator can fix it for me please.

Last edited by on2wheelsks; 12-24-12 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 07:20 AM   #5
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Get the Sirrus. Suspension on a bike that will be ridden on the road is a waste of weight.
Old 12-24-12, 07:59 AM   #6
qcpmsame 
Cycling Saved My Life

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
+1, the extra weight and in the unlocked position, the loss of energy that the bounce takes away, are not worth it. The Sirrus is a much better road bike.

Bill
I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13

"I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, I do choose not to allow it to control my life." Davis Phinney

Semper Fi, USMC, November 10, 1775, Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA.

qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 08:40 AM   #7
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Full disclosure: I work part time at a bike shop where Specialized is our major line.

Based on the limited description of your intended riding, I too would recommend the Sirrus. I don't see anything there to suggest that a suspension fork would be a benefit to offset the increased weight and complexity. The component specs of the two bikes are very close, with a very slight edge for the Sirrus. A change to 32mm tires would make the bike smoother and more stable on dirt roads and unpaved paths, if that was a need.
The Sirrus and Tri-Cross lines are probably the most versatile road bikes we sell, depending on your preference for flat bars or drop bars.
Old 12-24-12, 10:13 AM   #8
ragtoplvr

Bikes: specalized sirrus
when I bought my bike, which is a Sirius, the LBS let me ride both of these. The suspension fork was noticeably less efficient. I see no need for disk brakes, the rim brakes on mine have been excellent, once I even did a stoppie dodging a left turner. I like in the flat, and I have no noticeable brake wear in 3K miles. I am about to go out and get in some more miles this afternoon when it gets above 35F

I really like my Sirius, very comfortable.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 10:32 AM   #9
on2wheelsks 

Especially appreciate your input, Bluesdawg, glad you have taken the time to help me make a choice. Hope my dealer has one in stock. If I have to order,how long is the delivery time? Just a general question. Thanks also to others that responded, and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-12, 10:58 AM   #10
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same price and same manufacturer and without knowing the models- I would go with NO Suspension for your use.

Now I know one is a Sirrus-then subject to test ride being good- Go for it. Possibly the only "Hybrid" that I have liked.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 11:51 AM   #11
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2wheelsks View Post
Especially appreciate your input, Bluesdawg, glad you have taken the time to help me make a choice. Hope my dealer has one in stock. If I have to order,how long is the delivery time? Just a general question. Thanks also to others that responded, and Happy Holidays!
Glad to help, but do talk it over with your local dealer and get a recommendation based on more information than I have. Looks like there are plenty of XL Sirrus Elites available in both colors in both the East and West warehouses, so they should be able to get you one within a few days.