Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Holiday Tragedies

This is happening on a peaceful little isthmus that I ride across twice every Sunday very early in the morning. I'll never ride this strip in peace again! I may not even ride through there again.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...king|text|Home

No comments please....Just a prayer or some kind thoughts for all those who will suffer as a result of this insanity.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thoughts go out to the victims.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately this kind of event is not new in our nation or the world. Nevertheless, everytime these happen I pray that that time will be the last; that the people saddened will be healed and that sanity will rise and prevail.
    It is better to smell the flowers than taste the roots.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prayers for the families of the firefighters and for their families. No comments out of respect for your request.

Bill

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, having served many families displaced by fire while volunteering for the local Red Cross chapter, my heart also goes out to those 6 family's who lost their homes because the firemen could no longer fight they fires. It is a hard thing this time of year -- and it is especially hard on kids and on the parents who have to explain why Santa isn't bringing any presents this Christmas.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prayers for the families of the firefighters and for their families. No comments out of respect for your request.
    +1

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had real trouble going near Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, after the massacre there in 1996. I was living in Perth, on the other side of the country at the time of the tragedy, but I knew the area well having spent a lot of time over more than a decade with my ex-wife at her family's beachside holiday house. I went back to live in Tasmania, and took a few years to visit the area.

I then lived through the 2009 bushfires, and it was tough going back to the ruins of the house where I lived, cleaning up the mess at work, and working in the worst-hit community in the recovery process.

So I can understand any reluctance to go ride through this area. Unfortunately, the effect on the local community will be deep and long-lasting. Nevertheless, they will need support, and riding there again actually will be a good thing, even though it might not seem that way for a while.

Just do it normally. The communities don't need rubbernecking tragedy tourists.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post

Bill
    Ditto.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)