Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merry Christmas--AKA Bah Humbug.

I have had a really good Christmas and enough food and drink inside me to say that I have enjoyed myself but I am going to pay for it when the diet has to come in.

The Bah Humbug bit comes in due to the weather. The rain- even in this quiet bit of the south east- is getting too much now. My chickens are at the lowest part of the garden and I have just about been able to keep the run dry by digging a trench round it to divert the water round it and into next doors garden. The rain started at 2 pm and I checked the trench and it was clear. 8 pm and checked again and the run has flooded to a depth of 2". The neighbours garden is flooded and it appears that the water table is above the lower part of my garden. Water is bubbling up through the grass so a New under ground water source seems to have popped up.

On top of that we have had a bit of wind and checking the garden for wind damage- there is some roofing felt 20ft up a tree. The temporary repair I did to the bike shed about a month ago seems to have failed and I know what I am doing tomorrow morning now. Haven't checked inside the shed yet but will do later on to see if anything needs moving out of the puddles that are bound to be forming.

So Bah Humbug to the UK's weather right now and I just hope that My waterproofs work tomorrow morning.

*^$)&£"---I hav just realised where they are so I will have to check the bike shed as thy are in their somewhere.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the end of the world I tell you. Even here, in otherwise sunny California it has been raining. My dog refuses to go out in the swampy mess our backyard has become.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Raleigh Team Technium, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    It's the end of the world I tell you. Even here, in otherwise sunny California it has been raining. My dog refuses to go out in the swampy mess our backyard has become.
    Tons of rain up here in the actual wet part of Ca.
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
    Now, consider a bit further north. Even for folks in Western Oregon it has been crazy wet. I had actually hoped for some riding time during the holiday break, but I fear that the calorie intake is going to heavily (pun, that) outweigh (pun, continued) the calorie outgo.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis View Post
    I live in the southeastern portion of Pennsylvania and we’re getting hammered by the weather at the moment.
    I can't say that we got hammered -- but we in the south western part of the state got 4-5 inches (Pittsburgh). It's not a lot, but enough to switch me from pedaling a bike to pushing a snow blower...

I'd like to moan and complain. But really this is truly nothing compared to what Stapfam has been dealing with for weeks now...
    ... Hang in there guy! Whoever's up there dumping all that water on you HAS to run out of water pretty soon!
    Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-26-12 at 06:01 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe the Mayans were right after all. Being off a week or two, seen in the context of eternity, is not a bad track record.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cold and windy here in Georgia now after a night of rain and thunderstorms. I will get in a ride tomorrow, but Friday, which looks pretty decent weatherwise, will be spent working a full day at the bike shop. A planned club road trip to ride MTBs at FATS on Saturday will likely be cancelled due to rain. Meanwhile I have new wheels for the road bike and a brand new MTB waiting for chances to ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys, but could someone send some rain to south Texas?? We are in an exceptional drought that is 2.5 years and running. It was 87F on Christmas day! We did get a cold front last night and dipped to 39F this morning....but no rain in sight.

Good for riding but the lack of rain is severe to say the least.

Send Noah over here
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that the change in weather has hit many and not just here in the UK. Just looked at the National news and Tornados are hitting the US and bringing snow and rain to a lot of you. It seems as though I am continually trying to stop the worst that the weather can throw at me but so far no real damage is being done. It just means that cycling has to keep taking a low priority and I need to test out that new toy I got for Christmas.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Year, whatever the weather puts out.
    " If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read in the papers that 2012 is the wettest since 1910 in England, and coming up to be the wettest recorded in the UK overall.

I think I need to dig the light box out of the attic to avoid SAD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerryattrick View Post

I think I need to dig the light box out of the attic to avoid SAD.

I'm beginning to wonder about SAD myself. It's been 10 days since seeing the sun and even though I've still been riding every other day, I felt gloomy and depressed all day yesterday for no apparent reason.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if there's any scientific proof behind light boxes, but a few years ago, when I was working mostly from home, I did get very down in the short, dark winter days. I bought a light box and set it up in the office for a couple of hours a day and for some reason it did seem to help. Even my wife said she noticed the improvement in my demeanour.

I may have been fooling myself but that's fine, something helped!

No substitute for getting out on the bike, but the bad weather and muddy trails don't allow much of that at the moment.
    Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-29-12 at 07:00 AM.

My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely weather here in Oz

Mind you, they're predicting 40+C for the new year
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    Tons of rain up here in the actual wet part of Ca.
    Two of my daughters live in SF. Yep, it is wet out their way.

BUT, when I moved to SoCal I am sure that the Chamber of Commerce guaranteed 360 days of sunshine and temps in the 70s.

I am suing someone.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being retired-I have all the time in the world and it is going nowhere right now. I am a keen gardener and I have plenty of maintenance to do and a bit of construction. Felt came off the shed roof on the 26th and I was not going to do anything about it that night. 27th and rain and I mean rain. Didn't stop till 3pm and was replaced by high winds and I had one hour of daylight to do a two hour job. 28th and the morning was wet and windy but the wind eased off at 12 and the rain at 1. Out with the ladders and the roll of felt and by 3 a temporary repair was done. It will have to be redone in the summer-if we have one. The annoying thing is that the shed roof was one of the jobs that I knew I would have to do this year but the weather was never right to be able to do it. It will take a couple of days to do properly and the weather did not play ball and besides which it was only one of the important jobs that were on my list. If I had done the roof- the house would probably not have got painted.

But that SAD effect has got through to me. Shortest days of the year right now and Other than the few occasions when it is not chucking it down- I am not able to get out in the garden and even less opportunities to ride. Still- Tomorrow looks better with no rain and only the wind to contend with. Hope to get out and find out how the Go Pro works

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all relative.

Beginning on Christmas Day, a heavy snowfall knocked out my power for over 60 hours. The power company says that it may take over 7 days to fix everyone. And another storm is on it's way.

Aside from the cold and dark, it was a nice holiday from the Internet.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Being retired-I have all the time in the world and it is going nowhere right now. I am a keen gardener and I have plenty of maintenance to do and a bit of construction. Felt came off the shed roof on the 26th and I was not going to do anything about it that night. 27th and rain and I mean rain. Didn't stop till 3pm and was replaced by high winds and I had one hour of daylight to do a two hour job. 28th and the morning was wet and windy but the wind eased off at 12 and the rain at 1. Out with the ladders and the roll of felt and by 3 a temporary repair was done. It will have to be redone in the summer-if we have one. The annoying thing is that the shed roof was one of the jobs that I knew I would have to do this year but the weather was never right to be able to do it. It will take a couple of days to do properly and the weather did not play ball and besides which it was only one of the important jobs that were on my list. If I had done the roof- the house would probably not have got painted.

But that SAD effect has got through to me. Shortest days of the year right now and Other than the few occasions when it is not chucking it down- I am not able to get out in the garden and even less opportunities to ride. Still- Tomorrow looks better with no rain and only the wind to contend with. Hope to get out and find out how the Go Pro works
    I suspect that it is good that you got the house painted -- aside from the appearance factor, it is probably protecting it from all the rain you are having...

Best of luck getting out for a ride tomorrow.
    ... But I still think you should consider investing in a row boat -- you would probably get more use out of it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was thinking about posting on Rowans--"Any rowers out there"

And I am getting worried- Perhaps one of my neighbours knows something that I don't. He has 6 boats in his front garden--2 up on last month.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    December started out so nice, yet now it's sub-freezing and snowing slightly every other day here, so the ground goes from green to white to green to white in as many days... It all started after Christmas, too! Bah, humbug! (whatever humbug is supposed to stand for)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    December started out so nice, yet now it's sub-freezing and snowing slightly every other day here, so the ground goes from green to white to green to white in as many days... It all started after Christmas, too! Bah, humbug! (whatever humbug is supposed to stand for)
    Well, count your blessings...

Since Christmas our ground just gets steadily whiter and deeper....

I would love to get out -- but the tires on my bike are more than half worn, and they didn't have that much tread on them to begin with. So, I am a little leery to see what they will do in the snow.

I am running 700x38 (which is the widest that will fit my fenders). I would like to find a nice "snow tire" in 700x35 or so but so far haven't had much luck. I stopped by my LBS yesterday but they were not able to suggest anything...
    ... I sure hope I don't have to wait till spring. The tires I have will be fine once it dries out, but right now it's just too sloppy and too slippery for them.
    Last edited by GeorgeBMac; 12-29-12 at 04:23 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are given lemons-make lemonade

PS-I don't consider snow a lemon!
    Last edited by Doug64; 12-29-12 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug, FYI: the first link is the alpine report from my local snowhill and the other is the nordic conditions. Enjoy the crosstraing/skiing
    http://www.mountwashington.ca/weathe...ow-report.html
    http://www.mountwashington.ca/weathe...ow-report.html
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 12-29-12 at 05:11 PM.