Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-12, 10:52 AM   #1
jlstrat

Bikes: litespeed blue ridge
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First Snow

We had snow on Christmas eve, then snow, sleet and rain on the 26th. Returned to work yesterday so I put the Nokians on and braved it in. The shoulders weren't clean, so it was slow going. I took a relatively short route of 10 miles and it took me well over an hour. I had fogotten how heavy and slow the Nokians are, so I was beat yesterday. I need to remember that winter means fewer, slower miles, but you're still getting plenty of work-out.
jlstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 02:58 PM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's so rare that I need studded tires that I've never bought any. But after this latest storm, I may reconsider. That was a long walk through the snow to find a grocery store, and I didn't trust my street slicks on the icy roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 03:50 PM   #3
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
We had it in Texas the day before except it was hailstorm, thunderstorm, clearingstorm, then snow.

I rode an old hard tail yesterday to get a couple of miles in. Luckily it wasnt a commute so I could quit when I wanted.
jmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 03:55 PM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
What is this snow thing and that ice that you speak of? We here know not of these strange substances in Florida...........................

If you don't believe me just come down here when we do get the light dusting of snow and a little ice on the roads, it is Katy Bar The Door with these drivers. I get inside and start a fire and grab a good book.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-30-12 at 11:04 AM.
qcpmsame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 09:11 PM   #5
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
What is this snow thing and that ice that you speak of? We here know not of these strange substances in Florida...........................

If you don't believe me just come down here when we do get the light dusting of snow and a little ice on the roads, it is Katy Bar The door with these drivers. I get inside and start a fire and grab a good book.

Bill
Same thing here on the wet side of Oregon. The parents of my pseudo-grand-daughter took her to Reno this holiday. They spent an hour recounting the wrecks they saw and nearly participated in to me earlier today. I much prefer my rain in a liquid state.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 09:32 PM   #6
bwfox

Bikes: Varied and subject to change
We have enough snow that 4wd is required to get to our house. We have 4 miles of dirt/ gravel to the mail box and another mile until pavement. On the plus side, we are heading S tomorrow to Lake Mead to do some winter cycling with both solo bikes and the tandem. We have been below 0 at night and below freezing for highs....
bwfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 07:15 AM   #7
scroca 
commuter and barbarian

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
It's so rare that I need studded tires that I've never bought any. But after this latest storm, I may reconsider. That was a long walk through the snow to find a grocery store, and I didn't trust my street slicks on the icy roads.
You may be better off with knobby tires. Studded tires won't necessarily be of use to you if the snow is deep enough, unless they're studded snow tires.
2010 Surly LHT
1992 Trek 1200
1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear
scroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 07:50 AM   #8
b2run

Bikes: KHS
The snow has been here since November. There's about 2 feet now. They only clear the main roads around here (the side roads they plow but there's always snow on the road) and the snow banks along the side of the road make biking safely nearly impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate, you southerners.
b2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:40 AM   #9
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I'll be on the studded tires soon. The roads are dry and clean, but the trails are icy.

Winter travel can be slow for a number of reasons. The bulkier clothes slow me down no matter what tire I'm using. Plus winter time riding is more about fighting cabin fever for me. Speed can wait until it's near 65f.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 08:59 AM   #10
jlstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroca View Post
You may be better off with knobby tires. Studded tires won't necessarily be of use to you if the snow is deep enough, unless they're studded snow tires.
My Nokians are good with ice, and when you ride in temps in the 20s and below, they're good to have. I've been in situations where I had a semi to my left and an ice patch coming up, and the Nokians held on tight. They're heavy and slow, but if you want to get out in bad weather, they're good to have.
Old 01-02-13, 09:00 AM   #11
jlstrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2run View Post
The snow has been here since November. There's about 2 feet now. They only clear the main roads around here (the side roads they plow but there's always snow on the road) and the snow banks along the side of the road make biking safely nearly impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate, you southerners.
That's a shame. I wonder if places like Minneapolis clear the bike lanes in winter.
Old 01-02-13, 11:44 AM   #12
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
We've had 4 inches of snow in southern R. I. several days ago but roads are mostly dry and it is mostly warm enough that wet spots are not ice. The bike club's annual New Year's day ride drew a nice crowd of 35 or so members. All my rides in the last month have been short trips around town so it was good to get out into the countryside to stretch the legs.
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 12:03 PM   #13
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Now that's just.... wrong.
Old 01-02-13, 12:28 PM   #14
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroca View Post
Typically around here, we get more ice than snow. Maybe 3-6" of snow which partially melts the next day and then refreezes the next night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote