Thread: First Snow

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Snow

We had snow on Christmas eve, then snow, sleet and rain on the 26th. Returned to work yesterday so I put the Nokians on and braved it in. The shoulders weren't clean, so it was slow going. I took a relatively short route of 10 miles and it took me well over an hour. I had fogotten how heavy and slow the Nokians are, so I was beat yesterday. I need to remember that winter means fewer, slower miles, but you're still getting plenty of work-out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so rare that I need studded tires that I've never bought any. But after this latest storm, I may reconsider. That was a long walk through the snow to find a grocery store, and I didn't trust my street slicks on the icy roads.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had it in Texas the day before except it was hailstorm, thunderstorm, clearingstorm, then snow.

I rode an old hard tail yesterday to get a couple of miles in. Luckily it wasnt a commute so I could quit when I wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is this snow thing and that ice that you speak of? We here know not of these strange substances in Florida...........................

If you don't believe me just come down here when we do get the light dusting of snow and a little ice on the roads, it is Katy Bar The Door with these drivers. I get inside and start a fire and grab a good book.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-30-12 at 11:04 AM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    What is this snow thing and that ice that you speak of? We here know not of these strange substances in Florida...........................

If you don't believe me just come down here when we do get the light dusting of snow and a little ice on the roads, it is Katy Bar The door with these drivers. I get inside and start a fire and grab a good book.

Bill
    Same thing here on the wet side of Oregon. The parents of my pseudo-grand-daughter took her to Reno this holiday. They spent an hour recounting the wrecks they saw and nearly participated in to me earlier today. I much prefer my rain in a liquid state.

My Bikes
    Varied and subject to change
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have enough snow that 4wd is required to get to our house. We have 4 miles of dirt/ gravel to the mail box and another mile until pavement. On the plus side, we are heading S tomorrow to Lake Mead to do some winter cycling with both solo bikes and the tandem. We have been below 0 at night and below freezing for highs....
    Below knee amputee, left
    Riding every chance I get
    Tandem riding with my wife
    "Tour de Cure" American Diabetes Assoc Charity bike ride.
    2012 Salsa Fargo "Drop bar 29er Adventure bike"
    2013 Cannondale CAADX Cyclocross bike, "Do it all road bike"
    Mid 90s Burley Duet Tandem "Always a project under construction"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    It's so rare that I need studded tires that I've never bought any. But after this latest storm, I may reconsider. That was a long walk through the snow to find a grocery store, and I didn't trust my street slicks on the icy roads.
    You may be better off with knobby tires. Studded tires won't necessarily be of use to you if the snow is deep enough, unless they're studded snow tires.
    2011 Felt Q620
    2010 Motobecane Jury fixed gear
    2010 Surly LHT
    1992 Trek 1200
    1977 Schwinn Le Tour II fixed gear

My Bikes
    KHS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The snow has been here since November. There's about 2 feet now. They only clear the main roads around here (the side roads they plow but there's always snow on the road) and the snow banks along the side of the road make biking safely nearly impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate, you southerners.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be on the studded tires soon. The roads are dry and clean, but the trails are icy.

Winter travel can be slow for a number of reasons. The bulkier clothes slow me down no matter what tire I'm using. Plus winter time riding is more about fighting cabin fever for me. Speed can wait until it's near 65f.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scroca View Post
    You may be better off with knobby tires. Studded tires won't necessarily be of use to you if the snow is deep enough, unless they're studded snow tires.
    My Nokians are good with ice, and when you ride in temps in the 20s and below, they're good to have. I've been in situations where I had a semi to my left and an ice patch coming up, and the Nokians held on tight. They're heavy and slow, but if you want to get out in bad weather, they're good to have.

My Bikes
    litespeed blue ridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b2run View Post
    The snow has been here since November. There's about 2 feet now. They only clear the main roads around here (the side roads they plow but there's always snow on the road) and the snow banks along the side of the road make biking safely nearly impossible. Consider yourselves fortunate, you southerners.
    That's a shame. I wonder if places like Minneapolis clear the bike lanes in winter.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had 4 inches of snow in southern R. I. several days ago but roads are mostly dry and it is mostly warm enough that wet spots are not ice. The bike club's annual New Year's day ride drew a nice crowd of 35 or so members. All my rides in the last month have been short trips around town so it was good to get out into the countryside to stretch the legs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Now that's just.... wrong.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scroca View Post
    Typically around here, we get more ice than snow. Maybe 3-6" of snow which partially melts the next day and then refreezes the next night.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.