Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 12-28-12, 03:40 PM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Last 100 miler for 2012-5th in Five Weeks

Yeah!! It's done!!

After checking tomorrow's weather forecast I decided to do the 100 miler today instead of the usual group ride tomorrow. Today was supposed to get to 52 degrees with little wind. Tomorrow is 70% chance of rain and even cooler. I dressed thinking it was going to get to 52 degrees a few hours into the ride. Here I am after the ride and it's still only 43 degrees. When I started it was 27 degrees. So, I guessed wrong and was cooler riding that I would have preferred-just about all day. In fact I couldn't really get comfortable so I stopped at 40 miles and got some hot chocolate and that helped a LOT. Well, at least for about an hour.

Today was one day it felt a lot nicer just to rider slower. A couple times I got above 30 mph it was much cooler than I preferred. So I really rode slow. Seemed like I was out there forever but what the heck.....more calories burned.

I had no legs today...zero. I walked 18 holes of golf yesterday-we got a record rainfall here on Wednesday so carts were on the path so I thought walking would be about the same. Guessed wrong on that one as well.

It's been a good month for longer rides. Still a few days left but seriously doubt I'll do another 100 miler before 1/1/13.

Last edited by jppe; 12-29-12 at 08:12 AM.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 08:27 AM   #2
SortaGrey

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of times are you taking to do these 100's? You must ride once a week for so?
SortaGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 11:56 AM   #3
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The quickest one was 5hr 20 min. This last one took an hour longer due to walking 18 holes the day before and being colder. I try and ride 3 days a week.....about 30 miles the other two days. We have a lighted park we can ride in at night.