Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike needs a wash and the Go Pro impressed me.

Still plenty of water lying about on th roads so I decided to go up the Cuckoo Trail- the local MUP- to stay a bit drier. The roads were not that bad but puddles that would have pushed into the middle of the road meant that a safer route was going to be wise. At least no cars but plenty of dogs- walkers- bikes-horses and kids managed to keep me alert. There may not have been many puddles but plenty of mud and leaves gave me the problem in that I might aswell have been offroad with the state the bike was in afterwards.

The Go Pro is mounted on the helmet and I kept it running for the ride and on the 16gb card it is not quite 1/2 full. Battery life and it was on the last bar of 3 at the end so the advertised 2 1/2 hours battery life seems to be about right. So battery life and the size of card I have seem to be about right. What isn't is that I had the camera set a bit low so will have to set that position a bit better or get a Chest strap that most find more convenient. That camera is quite weighty and I can se it getting heavy on long rides.

The ride itself was not too bad. Only 5 miles to Horam and then back so not a long one. Coffee and cake were had at a (Motor) bikers cafe as the only Pie they had was Lemon Meringue and it looked a bit stale. Not many motorbikes there but there was a young lad out on his Christmas present of a Giant Defy and an older person that had dragged out his 25 year old Geoffrey Butler as he didn't want to get his C.F. bike dirty. Then a few mountain bikers arrived and from the state of their bikes- they had come further up the trail than me. They hadn't as they live in the same town as me but they had not cleaned their bikes from a few weeks ago.

Trip back and that trail was getting crowded. No chance of any speed but a few cyclists about and I just kept wondering where they were coming from. There was a charity ride going on and the 20 mile route was the cuckoo trail and the 40 involved 20 by road and return on the trail All those cyclists about and when the Flat Fairy visited me---- not one of them enquired if I was OK. No probs as I had the large wedge on that had 2 tubes and a repair kit in it--but only one tyre lever. The tyre came off with a struggle but I will make certain I get some new levers before going out with that wedge again. As I say no probs- Tyre off- felt inside with a tissue for a thorn- then the hand as nothing found- a few pump strokes in the brand new still in cellophane tube and refit. Got the tyre on with ease and get the pump to inflate and hold on--That new tube had a long reach Valve--and this is a short reach?????? I had refitted the old tube so start again.

Carried on home and just before the end of the ride I twigged that I had one long video on the camera and I don't know how to edit them yet. So I stopped th camera and restarted to give a short vid to show how good the quality of this camera is. And also show that I have to get a chest strap for future rides and without the completely sealed back there is a problem with wind noise

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStapfam?feature=mhee

For some reason I cannot get the video to show on this forum- just my You tube page- but it is the top one shown.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You cast a long shadow there.
    Anyway, I'll see if I can embed it for you.
    Here ya go.

Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good news! I'm glad you got out! Too bad about having to deal with the flat and the traffic on the trail. But all in all it sounds like you (Finally!) got in a pleasant little ride.

Hopefully the guy upstairs with the big bucket of water will hold off so you can get another ride in tomorrow.
    --------------------------------------
    bikes: 1992 Cannondale R500, 2012 Trek DS 8.5, 2008 LeMond Poprad

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/