Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone in the 50+ riding the Tour de Cure: Hampton Roads VA or the Capital to Capital

Just signed up for 2 Centuries. One on April 20, 2013 for the American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure: Hampton Roads Va, http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...try&fr_id=8590 (also see my signature), and the Capital 2 Capital ride on May 11, 2013, http://virginiacapitaltrail.org/cap2cap-ride/ .

It'll be nice to see anyone in the forums on that day.

I also posted about these in the Regional Events section.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Mike. The location is convenient and the cause is wonderful. However, since I am a total newb and since I now do 10 miles at most, the best I can do by April/May would probably be the 15 or maybe the 30 miles. This would help me set a target to reach.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, both rides, TdC and the Cap2Cap have different distances that you can sign up for. Do note that the Tour de Cure requires you to raise $175.00(not including the registration fee) for each participant(through donations or self-donated), be it 10 miles, 30 miles, 65 miles, or the century. Also, remember, there are Tour de Cure rides sponsored in every state and many have multiple locations. The Cap2Cap ride only requires the registration fee which is different for each distance and for when you sign up. In the Cap2Cap ride, you can change the distance at a later date for a $5.00 additional fee.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Super useful information Mike. Many thanks. This is definitely something to look forward to.

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capital to Capital

Do they mean "Capitol to Capitol" ir is this a bankers' run??
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Va capital to capital is what the ride is(as in the town or city which is the official seat of government). In other words, from Williamsburg, VA to Richmond, VA and back(or visa versa depending on where you start). Williamsburg at one time was the capital of Va whereas Richmond is now the present capital of the state.

Capitol, c a p i t o l, refers to the building in which Congress meets or the building where a state legislature meets.

Link to the route: http://virginiacapitaltrail.org/wp-c...oof_020612.pdf
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 12-31-12 at 07:11 AM.

My Bikes
    Felt F3C; Colnago Masterlight
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capital is money or assets put to productive use; capitol is a seat of government. Editing is a lost art.
    My other bike is an Adirondack Guide Boat.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the Cap2Cap 50 miler the last two years. Pretty certain I'll do it again this year. Probably won't do Century.
    Cannondale Synapse, Electra Townie, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Indy Fab Factory Lightweight, Co-Motion Cascadia

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ curdog,

Maybe I'll see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastOfMidnight View Post
    Capital is money or assets put to productive use; capitol is a seat of government. Editing is a lost art.
    Yes, "capital" does have the definition of money or assets, but, as you will note below, the first definition is that of the city or town where the seat of government resides. "Capitol," http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capitol?s=t , is the building...such as the building where the US Congress meets.

Just an FYI: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capital?s=t
    capital
    cap·i·tal

1 [kap-i-tl] Show IPA
    noun
    the city or town that is the official seat of government in a country, state, etc.: Tokyo is the capital of Japan.

2. a city regarded as being of special eminence in some field of activity: New York is the dance capital of the world.

3. capital letter.

4. the wealth, whether in money or property, owned or employed in business by an individual, firm, corporation, etc.

5. an accumulated stock of such wealth.

6. any form of wealth employed or capable of being employed in the production of more wealth.

7. Accounting. a. assets remaining after deduction of liabilities; the net worth of a business.

b. the ownership interest in a business.

8. any source of profit, advantage, power, etc.; asset: His indefatigable drive is his greatest capital.

9. capitalists as a group or class ( distinguished from labor ): High taxation has reduced the spending power of capital.

Oxford English Dictionary online:
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...ital?q=capital

______________________________________________________________________________________

...and now back to the intent of this thread...

I hope I can meet/see other BFrs at the Cap2Cap ride and the Tour de Cure: Hampton Roads.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-01-13 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added some space between the line and the "hope to see other..." posting.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but I am watching the Capital One Bowl at the moment. Sic 'em DAWGS!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the Cap2Cap 3 times. It's a nice mostly flat ride with lots of riders, so you you don't get lonely I've started from Richmond twice and Williamsburg once. Check the weather report, and plan on having tailwinds on the way home.

I may do it again this year. It's a great early-season century, and well supported.
    2009 Cervelo R3SL TdF Edition, Ultegra Di2
    2011 Cervelo R5, DA Di2

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    No, but I am watching the Capital One Bowl at the moment. Sic 'em DAWGS!
    For some reason the Capital One ad line, "What's in your wallet?," popped into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I've done the Cap2Cap 3 times. It's a nice mostly flat ride with lots of riders, so you you don't get lonely I've started from Richmond twice and Williamsburg once. Check the weather report, and plan on having tailwinds on the way home.

I may do it again this year. It's a great early-season century, and well supported.
    Ooh, tailwinds for the 2nd 50 miles, from Richmond back to Williamsburg, would be fantastic! As you may have noted from the title and my opening post, I'll be doing another century 3 weeks earlier on April 20th--unsure why they seem to schedule the Tour de Cure so early, in April.

These will be my first centuries(mile wise). I've done plenty of solo metric centuries and even a 75 mile ride solo, so I am confident with what I've signed up for...I just hope weather cooperates in the earlier weeks so I can do the long rides to keep up the endurance/fitness. Right now, the chilly weather is keeping me from doing some of the long rides. I am off today so I don't need to ride as early as usual, 04:30(plus it's raining), and it will be sunny later so I'm going to try to do at least 40 miles if not 50 today.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-02-13 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Edited.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I rode the Long Beach TdC and the Santa Barbara TdC. This year I plan to do the same. Anyone from SoCal planning on doing either or both rides?
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)