Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-12, 11:13 PM   #1
jesseh627
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
jesseh627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact
Posts: 21
Switching to Ultegra Crankset

Would there be any advantage to switching out my Tiagra crankset with an Ultegra? I'm hoping I could use my compact chain rings, but don't know if the crankset is interchangeable and beneficial.
jesseh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 11:23 PM   #2
oldbobcat
Senior Member
 
oldbobcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Posts: 2,915
Which version of Tiagra, which version of Ultegra? 9- or 10-speed?
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 11:27 PM   #3
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,558
What bottom bracket do either use?
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 11:35 PM   #4
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,190
What kind of advantages are you seeking? The Ultegra crank is a bit lighter and stiffer than Tiagra and has a greater bling factor. All of these advantages would be diminished by using the Tiagra chainrings, if that is even possible.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 11:38 PM   #5
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
What kind of advantages are you seeking? The Ultegra crank is a bit lighter and stiffer than Tiagra and has a greater bling factor. All of these advantages would be diminished by using the Tiagra chainrings, if that is even possible.
I think he wants to swap the Tiagra and instal Ultregra. I think the Ultegra, from his post, is a compact, whereas the Tiagra is not.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 12:52 AM   #6
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,327
If your current crankset needs replacing, sure, replace it with the best you can afford. If there's nothing wrong with it, consider whether you're suffering from upgraditis. There's nothing wrong with changing something just because you want something 'better' as long as you're honest with yourself about why you're doing it.
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 04:52 AM   #7
GeorgeBMac
Senior Member
 
GeorgeBMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
If your current crankset needs replacing, sure, replace it with the best you can afford. If there's nothing wrong with it, consider whether you're suffering from upgraditis. There's nothing wrong with changing something just because you want something 'better' as long as you're honest with yourself about why you're doing it.
+1
.... Provided it fits and works with your other components (which is what you were asking...)

As for compatibility, you might also check on the bicycle mechanic's forum as this type of thing can get pretty technical. Also, pictures and specific model numbers could help (for number of bolts, etc...)
GeorgeBMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 06:36 AM   #8
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,095
You will have to be sure the bottom brackets do match as said. There are two of each crank sets as doubles, Ultegra 6700, Road Double, 130mm BCD, 53-39T or 52-39T, Ultegra 6750, Compact Double, 110mm BCD, 50-34T. The bottom bracket for the Ultegras is FC6703, width=68/70mm

Tiagra 4500, Road Double, 130mm BCD, 53-39T, Tiagra 4550S, Compact 110mm BCD, 50-34T.

Make sure you have the same BCD for the spider of the Ultegra as the Tiagra has on your bike. Tiagra Bottom Bracket, SM-FC4500, width=68/70mm. If you have the Tiagra compact crank set make sure the Ultegra is the FC-6750. The 52-36 is becoming popular as a mid-point between the road Double and the Compact Double. So both Tiagra and Ultegra list the same numbers for the Road Double as they list for the Compact Double. The widths are the same for Tiagra and Ultegra for all four crank sets as are the chain line measurements @ 43.4mm.

It should be doable and Shimano and others make an assortment of chain rings you can choose the gearing from to suit your needs.

Here is their website so you can see what will work for you:http://bike.shimano.com/#. Hope these help you.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-31-12 at 02:23 PM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 08:01 AM   #9
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,190
Any bike that the Tiagra crank fits will also take the Ultegra. If the BBs are not the same, get the one that works. It may even come with the crankset anyway.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 02:13 PM   #10
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,095
BD and jesseh627,
The Shimano site indicates that they both come with a bottom bracket, the numbers I gave are for separate order of the bottom bracket for the Tiagra. Ultegra does list the bottom bracket number as SM-BB6700 on the website, it is not listed as a separate item or link. The bottom bracket number link for Tiagra is in the same link as the crank. I take this to mean that the bottom brackets come with a crankset for both groups. the Ultegra is a Hollowtech II construction with Hyperglide Ultra-thin for 10 speed, the Tiagra is Hyperglide Ultra-thin for 9-speed.

My experience in swapping 10 speed 105 in place of 7 speed RSX says the narrower 10 speed will work with the Tiagra if it is the 9 speed. I am ot sure of any difference in the widths for Shimano's 9 and 10 speed Hyperglide. Again, check the website for your application and what you want to accomplish first, please.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-31-12 at 02:29 PM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 05:28 PM   #11
jesseh627
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
jesseh627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact
Posts: 21
Well, I'm immediately over my head. This is a new bike, Specialized Roubaix...all I know is it is a 10 speed Tiagra compact, not sure of the model. I have the opportunity to pick up an inexpensive ultegra crankset but never thought of all the complexities. I'll do some more digging to see exactly what I have. I've emailed Specialized to find out bottom bracket specs. Thank you, all for the fast response and great information!
jesseh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 05:46 PM   #12
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,095
Jesse,
Just forget all the numbers I threw at you, if the Roubaix has a Tiagra and uses the Tiagra, the Ultegra should work provided they are close in year of manufacture. 10 speed Ultegra is relatively new and if the Ultegra is close it should work. If it has the bottom bracket with it you are golden. Sorry for all the numbers and complexity I used. I am an engineer and plead guilty to having Engineer's Disease, bad. I over thought this one, best of luck with the swap and please let us know how it goes if it gets done. Happy New Year.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 07:43 PM   #13
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga
 
europa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
Bikes: Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
Posts: 3,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseh627 View Post
Well, I'm immediately over my head. This is a new bike, Specialized Roubaix...all I know is it is a 10 speed Tiagra compact, not sure of the model. I have the opportunity to pick up an inexpensive ultegra crankset but never thought of all the complexities. I'll do some more digging to see exactly what I have. I've emailed Specialized to find out bottom bracket specs. Thank you, all for the fast response and great information!
Mate, if it's new, leave it alone. Shimano keep improving their kit every year and I think you'll find that the current Tiagra is pretty darned good. Use your money to build a companion bike for the Roubaix, do up an old bike or build a shopping bike or something
europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 07:51 PM   #14
Rowan
Has opinion, will express
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,558
If it is a Tiagra compact, run with it. Tiagra is a very serviceable groupset. I don't think you can carry the chainrings on the compact Tiagra over to the road Ultegra, so that answers your original question.

But (and there is always a but), if you can pick up the Ultegra crankset for cheap, and it comes with the BB, get it and put it away until you think you've outgrown the compact, which is possible if you are in a flat part of Texas. If you are near Austin, for example, though, definitely stick with what's now on the bike.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 08:43 PM   #15
oldbobcat
Senior Member
 
oldbobcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Posts: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseh627 View Post
Well, I'm immediately over my head. This is a new bike, Specialized Roubaix...all I know is it is a 10 speed Tiagra compact, not sure of the model. I have the opportunity to pick up an inexpensive ultegra crankset but never thought of all the complexities. I'll do some more digging to see exactly what I have. I've emailed Specialized to find out bottom bracket specs. Thank you, all for the fast response and great information!
Aha. 10-speed Tiagra to 10-speed Ultegra. This would be an easy swap that won't require any other changes, if the Ultegra is also a compact double. Shimano road threaded outboard bottom brackets are interchangeable. And your main benefit would be small weight loss and a prettier crankset. Maybe the shifting would be a bit snappier, but this is hair splitting.

And for Rowan's information, Tiagra offers only compact and triple cranksets.

Personally, I' buy a new bike before upgrading anything on a 10-speed Roubaix that wasn't broken.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 12-31-12 at 08:49 PM.
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-12, 10:17 PM   #16
Doug64
Senior Member
 
Doug64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oregon
Bikes:
Posts: 3,789
I believe the only significant difference in performance would be the bling factor
Doug64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 01:38 AM   #17
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Mate, if it's new, leave it alone. Shimano keep improving their kit every year and I think you'll find that the current Tiagra is pretty darned good. Use your money to build a companion bike for the Roubaix, do up an old bike or build a shopping bike or something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
If it is a Tiagra compact, run with it. Tiagra is a very serviceable groupset. I don't think you can carry the chainrings on the compact Tiagra over to the road Ultegra, so that answers your original question.

But (and there is always a but), if you can pick up the Ultegra crankset for cheap, and it comes with the BB, get it and put it away until you think you've outgrown the compact, which is possible if you are in a flat part of Texas. If you are near Austin, for example, though, definitely stick with what's now on the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
I believe the only significant difference in performance would be the bling factor
Think others have put my opinions.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:33 AM   #18
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Any bike that the Tiagra crank fits will also take the Ultegra. If the BBs are not the same, get the one that works. It may even come with the crankset anyway.

I wanted to dig into this, from a general knowledge standpoint (as in I have none, and want to learn) So are you saying that (for instance) an ultegra 175 34/50 crankset will fit both in a bike that was designed with bb30, and the same crackset will fit in a bike with an english BB, and all you need to do is change the BB not the crank?
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:50 AM   #19
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
I wanted to dig into this, from a general knowledge standpoint (as in I have none, and want to learn) So are you saying that (for instance) an ultegra 175 34/50 crankset will fit both in a bike that was designed with bb30, and the same crackset will fit in a bike with an english BB, and all you need to do is change the BB not the crank?
I can't quite follow your meaning. What I was saying is that if your bike now has a 10 sp Tiagra crank, an Ultegra crank will also fit since they would use the same type of BB, either English or Italian depending on which threading your bike has (probably English). To put either crank into a bike with a BB30 shell would require some kind of adapter which would work with either one. But a BB30 crank will not fit into a frame with an English or Italian threaded BB shell.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:57 AM   #20
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post
Aha. 10-speed Tiagra to 10-speed Ultegra. This would be an easy swap that won't require any other changes, if the Ultegra is also a compact double. Shimano road threaded outboard bottom brackets are interchangeable. And your main benefit would be small weight loss and a prettier crankset. Maybe the shifting would be a bit snappier, but this is hair splitting.

And for Rowan's information, Tiagra offers only compact and triple cranksets.

Personally, I' buy a new bike before upgrading anything on a 10-speed Roubaix that wasn't broken.
Not correct, see my first reply for the number for the standard road double Tiagra crankset, 53-39 chain rings and a 130 BCD. The Compact and Road Double use the same BB and have the same spindle length and chain line measurement (again see my first reply.)

And, I agree with the fact that Tiagra is fully serviceable and totally reliable and is a great shifting crank set. I'd run it for ever, personally. Tiagra and 105 are my choices for Shimano groups, good bang for the buck and well engineered. Disclaimer: I run SRAM on my CAAD 10 4, just had a lot of Shimano components over the years, I personally like the RSX 7 speed on my R500 Cannondale.

Bill
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-01-13 at 09:07 AM.
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 09:22 AM   #21
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice
 
vesteroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
I can't quite follow your meaning. What I was saying is that if your bike now has a 10 sp Tiagra crank, an Ultegra crank will also fit since they would use the same type of BB, either English or Italian depending on which threading your bike has (probably English). To put either crank into a bike with a BB30 shell would require some kind of adapter which would work with either one. But a BB30 crank will not fit into a frame with an English or Italian threaded BB shell.

to simplify, will a given crank fit into bikes with different bb...so the crank part itself is no different (as in different length, diameter something) just the bb is different.

so for instance I have a giant defy with an ultegra crank. it has a bb30. Can I take that crank off the giant, buy a english bb and install it all on a new bike that needs the english bb (rather than buying a whole new crank and bb)
vesteroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 09:34 AM   #22
BluesDawg
just keep riding
 
BluesDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milledgeville, Georgia
Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Posts: 13,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
to simplify, will a given crank fit into bikes with different bb...so the crank part itself is no different (as in different length, diameter something) just the bb is different.

so for instance I have a giant defy with an ultegra crank. it has a bb30. Can I take that crank off the giant, buy a english bb and install it all on a new bike that needs the english bb (rather than buying a whole new crank and bb)
If your bike has an Ultegra crank and a BB30 BB shell, then it has to be using an adapter since all Shimano cranks are designed to fit threaded BB shells, not oversized. So yes, you should be able to use the Ultegra crank on the new bike. Whether you will need a new BB depends on whether the Giant's adapter utilized the standard Shimano BB or not. New Ultegra BBs run about $30.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:47 AM   #23
jesseh627
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
jesseh627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Jesse,
Just forget all the numbers I threw at you, if the Roubaix has a Tiagra and uses the Tiagra, the Ultegra should work provided they are close in year of manufacture. 10 speed Ultegra is relatively new and if the Ultegra is close it should work. If it has the bottom bracket with it you are golden. Sorry for all the numbers and complexity I used. I am an engineer and plead guilty to having Engineer's Disease, bad. I over thought this one, best of luck with the swap and please let us know how it goes if it gets done. Happy New Year.

Bill
Thank you, Bill. This is all new, so I get overwhelmed quickly. Thanks for all the help! Happy New Year!
jesseh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 12:50 AM   #24
jesseh627
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
jesseh627's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Compact
Posts: 21
definitely sticking with the compact! Between the wind (always), and the hills, I need all the help I can get.

thanks!
jesseh627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 04:30 AM   #25
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Bikes: MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel
Posts: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by europa View Post
Mate, if it's new, leave it alone. Shimano keep improving their kit every year and I think you'll find that the current Tiagra is pretty darned good. Use your money to build a companion bike for the Roubaix, do up an old bike or build a shopping bike or something
To this point....my Masi came with Dura Ace about 7 yrs. ago. Very nice kit. This year I bought a cyclocross bike with 105. The 105 shifts smoother than the old DA.
bruce19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 AM.