Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 Speeds and Trainers

I just purchased a set of Cycle Ops Rollers for my Paǩe 3 Speed bike. Until I get the hang of using rollers Iím afraid of flying off the rollers and flying out of my 13th floor window.
    Is there anyway to use a CycleOps Trainer with a 3 Speed hub, I had been using the CycleOps Trainer for my Mt. Bike by switching out the rear axle that is provided.
    I donít have that option it seems to adapt a three speed to my trainer hence the rollers.
    Any suggestions, thanks

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of three speed, Shimano, Sturmey Archer, Sram? You can just remove the shift mech, or indicator chain, and the hub will stay in it's default gear (third for sturmey Archer or Sram, first for Shimano.) If it's a Shimano hub, you should also put an acorn nut where the bell crank mounted. This way, the axle should clamp in just fine.
    Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a Sturmey Archer unit. If this can work the NY Daily News wont have a front page photo of me flying thru the air onto 42nd street from the 13th floor.
    Thanks for the timely response, John

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you ride off rollers, you don't shoot off anywhere, you just fall over. You have no forward speed and only a very small amount of energy/momentum stored in the rotating wheels so there's nothing to propel you forward. You probably already know that many like to set up rollers in a doorway so they having something to brace themselves against to get going and for stopping, and to catch themselves should the ride off the rollers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will work as long as you're OK with it being locked in third gear. All you need to do is unscrew the coupler joining the indicator chain and the shift cable, and then unscrew the indicator out of the hub.
    Does the indicator chain feed through a guide nut, or around a roller? If you have the roller, you should screw on an acorn nut. It needs to be a Special 13/32" Sturmey Archer nut.(Should be easy enough to get one from a local bike shop) If you have the guide nut, you can just clamp that in the trainer with no worries.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerin357asp View Post
    Iím afraid of flying off the rollers and flying out of my 13th floor window.
    I hate it when that happens.

But seriously, welcome to the 50+ forum.