Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What was your average speed for 2012?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • <8 mph

2 1.34%
  • 8-10 mph

12 8.05%
  • 11-13 mph

41 27.52%
  • 14-16 mph

64 42.95%
  • 17-19 pmh

30 20.13%
  • 20-22 mph

2 1.34%
  • 23-25 mph

0 0%
  • >25 mph

1 0.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what is YOUR average speed?

For us 50 plusers, you young whippersnappers go make your own poll

I was wondering what your average speed is for your rides, I for one take it relatively easy and have quite a few hills and grades so for the last 6 months since I've kept track I do an average of 10MPH overall over about 1500 miles on my hybrid.

So what's your speed like? Satisfied with it or want to increase it? Any goals for 2013?

Sorry for you people of progressive countries, the poll is in MILES PER HOUR, so you'll have to convert if you use KPH.

So use your best figure, either distance divided by total time, your actual observed speeds, your bike computers figures, any GPS related sites figures you use, what have you, even a SWAG if you have to. I use my bike computers figures that I download to SportTracks. By bike computer is supposed to insert a pause when I stop for more than 90 seconds so I suspect that it's close to accurate.
    Last edited by Rootman; 01-02-13 at 01:36 PM.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I could only choose one range, I chose what I was averaging from May to October. Now, in the colder times, not counting really windy days, I'm between 16 and 17 mph, usually 16 to 16 mph.
    Last edited by Bikey Mikey; 01-02-13 at 07:44 AM.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My average speed is slower than it was when I was a kid ----- just a few years ago.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, in 2012, I cycled 4,465 miles. My personal best.
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is Total distance divided by total time.

My computer says about 15mph give or take a little. When I try to figure how long to ride from pt A to pt B I use 12mph or 5 min per mile, then allow myself 6 min per mile just in case.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really certain how average mph is calculated, as there is quite a bit of dispute about this. For my definition, it's my average speed when in motion. So, when the bike stops (for a certain period of time which I think is > than a few seconds), I'm no longer accumulating speed measurements. When the bike rolls, I am.

Using that rule from my speedometers (and with one of my sportier bikes), it seems that I'm somewhere in the 17.5 mph range over shorter rides 50 miles or so. With my tourer or utility bike, or when toodling along, my averages drop to somewhere in the 15-16 range. On my longest rides under touring load with lots of climbing, headwinds or when I'm tired, I've had average speeds in the 13's.

I guess that it just depends...

eay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked the range for my speed on generally flat ground - 11-13.
    My ego would not let me pick 8-10 (or less ! ) that I get on terrain with hills over 5%
    E

an HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS (recumbent trike).

my triking blog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My average speed depends on what I'm doing. I do many different kinds of riding. When I ride to reduce stress on my fastest road bike my average speed is considerably different than when I'm riding with either of my sons and catching up on what's going on in their lives. And, when I ride with my panniers full of photography equipment headed for a photo shoot, my average speed is different than my commute to work. And so it goes. I'm not sure I want to get faster as much as I want to get better - two things that are not necessarily connected.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, Rootman, head right on over to the confession thread (either here or the 41, for your convenience) and plea for forgiveness for starting an average speed thread. The only threads that are worse are "are bike helmets really necessary?", and "do you carry a *** when cycling?".

The most fun I've had lately on a bike is when I rode over to an area where the construction of the Louisville Loop is underway. I rode on partially completed trail, some of which was little more than beat-up doubletrack, even more fun when you try it on a SWB bent. My average speed was around 10 MPH.

Average speeds are also affected by group rides (faster if you can hang and draft), terrain, and density of traffic and stop signs, lights and the like. I don't think it's a very useful number.

And mine is always slow, anyway.

astro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 10 mph.

So slow, I almost always ride by myself, even on group rides!

- Ed

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    same as 41% of responders ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a headwind I have a higher air speed than ground speed.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Garmin Connect's reported 12.4 mph average moving speed for all the 4200 or so miles I logged on all my bikes including 5-8 mph MTB rides, 12-13 mph dirt road rides, 12-13 mph commutes, 13-16 mph road rides and various other piddling around on different bikes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't the faintest idea.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the ride- the terrain- the weather and how much Porridge I had for breakfast.

Every type is different but if I go to when I was keeping records--8.5mph. That was on the Century rides I used to do with 10,000ft of climbing and only the hours of daylight to do it in---That was offroad of course.

Metric centuries and it is around 15.5 mph on the road- but the extra up to 100 miles and I will slow down to around 13.

Local 40 to 50 milers up a few slopes and it is around 12 and 20 miler for coffee is around 12--and that is fairly flat.

I am not bothered by speed too much as I prefer to finish rides and want to go out again tomorrow- or next week if it was a hard ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know; don't care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2010: 14,660km in 489.0 hrs -> 30.0kph avg
    2011: 13,133km in 446.0 hrs -> 29.4kph avg
    2012: 13,137km in 435.5 hrs -> 30.2kph avg

My average speed for rides doesn't seem to vary a lot. Even if I do a 40 min crit @ 43kph the avg speed for the ride is only 35 when you include riding to and from the crit.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average speed is not a value that is a reliable measure. Distance, terrain, climbs, the number of controlled intersections, wind can influence speed and can factor it up or down 20% or more.

This 96 mile solo ride produced a 17.6 mph average.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/205482726

This 53 mile solo ride produced a 18.9 mph average.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/206992923

However, this hilly 27 mile ride only produced 15.7 mph

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/176310855
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-02-13 at 05:01 PM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laden or unladen?

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 mph at 50'/mile in low Z2 with an avg cadence of 81
    I wear a helmet and don't carry a ***... when cycling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere Dr. Freud is reading this thread and smiling.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to my comp, my average centers around 13mph. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My normal cruising speed on flat pavement without wind is 14-15.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15.5 - 16.8 mph, according to the bike computer. All road, riding solo. Doesn't seem to matter what the activity. Commuting on the single speed or over an 80 mile ride, avg. speed is always around the same. Although, I've had more 16+ averages over this past summer.

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
    For us 50 plusers, you young whippersnappers go make your own poll

I was wondering what your average speed is for your rides, I for one take it relatively easy and have quite a few hills and grades so for the last 6 months since I've kept track I do an average of 10MPH overall over about 1500 miles on my hybrid.

So what's your speed like? Satisfied with it or want to increase it? Any goals for 2013?

Sorry for you people of progressive countries, the poll is in MILES PER HOUR, so you'll have to convert if you use KPH.

So use your best figure, either distance divided by total time, your actual observed speeds, your bike computers figures, any GPS related sites figures you use, what have you, even a SWAG if you have to. I use my bike computers figures that I download to SportTracks. By bike computer is supposed to insert a pause when I stop for more than 90 seconds so I suspect that it's close to accurate
    Hi Rootman,

This is sort of like asking, "how high is up?" What kind of ride? Solo, group, commuting, racing, errands, short, long, etc, etc?

Same with my satisfaction. I did a 46 mile ride on Monday at a average of about 14.5 MPH and I was very satisfied with that ride. Yesterday, was 73 miles at 17.5 MPH and I was very satisfied with that too. I am very satisfied with 11 MPH when I commute to work and I am very dissatisfied when I average less than 25 MPH during a time trial.

I think most people worry about average speed too much (and I'm not saying that you are one of them). I pay much more attention to fun, training effect, reducing my use of my car, and a host of other things more than average speed. Not to say that I don't look at average speed when I download ride data from my Garmin, I do, but it's not a major ride success criterion for most of my rides.

That's a long way of saying that I can't answer your poll.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a flatland rider so I don't have to worry about climbing. I ride a MUP on a daily basis and normally do 30 miles a day. On the service roads leading to the loop, I ride between 15-17 mph and use them as my warm up and cool down miles. On the loop, I normally cruise between 18 and 20 mph with occasional sprints getting up to 24 mph. Today's sprint speed was 22.4 mph.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast